BayCare Health System

Be The First To
Add Photos

BayCare Health System President and CEO Stephen R. Mason

Stephen R. Mason

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, lots of pto, flexible schedule, expanding company"
    in 6 reviews
  • "good work environment and benefits"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "paid time off to use for vacation or sick purposes when you need them"
    in 3 reviews
  • "By senior management, I am talking at the VP and even Director level"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best Health Care Company I've Ever Worked For

LMA IV (Current Employee)
    Safety Harbor, FL

ProsHigh Pay, Good Benefits, I love the people at work, and my manager always has my back, as long as he/she should anyway. Ten hour Shift is great

ConsAs an LMA there is a cap on your pay. There are only three paid holidays. Minimal staffing can make it difficult to get time off unless requested and approved far in advance.

It is all about who you know not what you know

Physical Therapist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat core values and good benefits.

ConsIt is very difficult to move up, it is about who you know what what you know. Upper management needs to realize that supervisors play favorites and use this for annual increases. If a senior employee or manager forms an opinion of you it sticks with you for your entire career.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that lower level supervisors and managers play favorites and bully other employees,

Rapid Growth, shaky foundation

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsFocusing more on Team Member's needs and desire to grow within company, but still a long way to go in establishing an actual process for making this happen.
    A lot of educational opportunities and financial assistance to further you education.

ConsMediocre Pay, Hard to move depts unless you know someone, morale due to extreme changes in integration.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganize!! Explansion is great but do more to lay a firm work culture for the team you have in place.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst I.T. Management in the Business

Pharmacy (Current Employee)

ProsNice parking garage. Bay area is nice. Well maintained lawns. Hospital staff is very nice.

ConsThe I.T. department has gone downhill over the last 5 years. Had some very smart programmers there. BayCare moved toward EMR, but never figured out you need good programmers who were creative. They started micro managing them, and a few left and found better environments in other hospital systems. Management, starting canning the few good ones that were left. The fired ones found better positions at other hospital systems. The final straw was they took two managers that probably couldn't manage a neat market, and promoted them to a Director position. Thankfully, I left I.T. and went to another position.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up. Practice your 5 values.

My experience at BayCare has been very positive

Clearwater, FL

ProsI have been able to get the resources I need to do my job

ConsNo more than in any other larger organization

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue your move toward integrating work groups across the organization

Think before applying

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had the opportunity to work alongside some very dedicated, talented people. They made coming to work bearable for me. The health benefits are good; low co-pays, tuition reimbursement, and 401K. Vacation, holidays, and sick time comes out of one bank, and accumulating time can be difficult if you are starting out. I had to take some days without pay when I first started as the holidays took my only accumulated PTO day(s).

ConsDuring my time with the organization, I saw many people come and go. BayCare has a tendency to keep and promote the employees with a lackluster work effort who exert little to no effort in the job. The hard working employees were the ones to leave instead. This organization is governed by fear. Fear of impending re-organizations and reporting structures. Fear of innovation and forward thinking. Leadership is afraid of making decisions and being accountable for their actions. Employees are afraid to speak up during team meetings and voice their opinion for fear of being chastised and belittled by management and leadership. I have witnessed this behavior on several occasions. The BayCare “values” that they preach have little effect on the organization, since leadership and management does not regularly practice these beliefs. Moving up in the organization can be difficult if you don’t know the right people. For upper level positions such as directors and above, they usually hire external candidates instead of their own people. Towards the end of my time at BayCare, I witnessed many unhappy employees and I too became one of them. I wanted a job with a company that respected my opinions, one that would allow me to actually do my job instead of being micromanaged on a daily basis, and one that I wouldn’t feel physically sick to come into every day. My happiest day was my last day at the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately, not much advice can be given to senior management as most of leadership is set in their ways and fears change. The only way for this organization to truly change is for those in the “good ol’ boys club” to step down as leaders and bring in a new wave of forward thinking people.

Culture issues across system

Manager (Former Employee)
    Saint Pete, FL

ProsSt. Anthony's was a wonderful place to work. Great senior admin and support. Genuinely concerned about providing quality care. The president of St. A is the best in the system.

ConsNo chance for advancement across the system. BayCare preaches that they like to promote from within, but no one gets a serious interview unless it is for your the hospital that you work for. Other hospitals in system do not want to work together, but rather see everything as a competition and middle leadership collaboratives across the system are ineffectual and stuck in the past. Pay is horrible compared to other systems in the area. Everyone in management is titled one position under what they really do so they can pay less.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo away with the collaboratives. they are a waist of time. Enforce the hiring and promoting from within the system. Get rid of the petty back stabbing and competition from managment across the system. The System is doing well, but could do so much better if they worked as a team and competed against other local systems and not each other.

Great Networking

Tampa, FL

ProsAs an intern they treat you like your part of the team, very friendly environment.

ConsStaff is much older, not many entry level opportunities

Management needs to listen

Team Assistant (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsBasically good concept, most clinical staff were awesome.

ConsManagement outdated knowledge and favoritism to friends instead of knowledge

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff with comments suggestions - like in your goals and what you profess in your statements. We all have something to offer.

Toxic work environment in the Finance Dept.

ProsStable company, job security, low stress, work/life balance

ConsNo career advancement, miserable work environment, no bonus potential

Advice to Senior ManagementWorking in the SSC Finance dept. at BayCare has been a miserable experience. I have never been more dissatisfied to come in to work every day than I am at this job. Bottom line, unless you're at a point in your career where you want to park somewhere with no chance to advance or be challenged to improve yourself, do not work here.

No matter how well you perform, there is no opportunity for promotion. You will never be promoted unless you apply for another position and happen to get it. There is no culture for advancement, recognition, or promotion.

There is no bonus potential. Nominal "team awards" of a few hundred dollars are distributed once a year to all employees. The amounts are based on goals that you have no control over, and despite your individual performance for the year, you will receive the same "team award" as the guy who mops the floors at the hospital, or the incompetent analyst sitting next to you. I've never seen a more broken compensation model in my life.

It is impossible to get anything done. Even great ideas take 8-12 months to implement since multiple layers of red tape need to be navigated, with no value added along the way. There is no sense of urgency to accomplish anything in this company.

The typical employee is incompetent, difficult to work with, and should have been fired long ago. The level of incompetence in the finance dept. is astounding. Incompetent employees are not only coddled, but seemingly encouraged to remain incompetent.

Aside from a few strong managers, the management in the finance dept. is a disgrace. You will not be coached by your manager, challenged to improve, or given opportunities to expand your skill set.

As a result of all of the above, good employees either leave or are powerless to effect change. Incompetent, miserable employees are given free reign to infect the rest of the department, and the cycle continues.

Worked for BayCare Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BayCare Health System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BayCare Health System CEO Stephen R. Mason. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by BayCare Health System employees.