BayCare Health System Reviews

Reset
3.4
BayCare Health System President and CEO Stephen R. Mason
Stephen R. Mason

Pros
  • Great core values and good benefits (in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are great and BayCare offers many opportunities to move within the organization (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • BayCare preaches that they like to promote from within, but no one gets a serious interview unless it is for your the hospital that you work for (in 3 reviews)

• paid time off and shift schedule (in 3 reviews)

1. great company

Current Employee - Staff RN in Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Largo, FL

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

large company with great pay

Cons

benefits are expensive and insurance not as good as you think

My Favorite Job

Current Employee - Recruiter in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Tampa, FL

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Great management. BayCare Values. Growth opportunities. Not always perfect, but efforts are always made to improve, listen and do the right thing.

Cons

Management quality is different in different areas. No place is perfect all the time.

Advice to Management

Keep listening. Keep the conversation going. Help those front line managers that are un-skilled and caught in the middle.

3. Good place to work

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Safety Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Safety Harbor, FL

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the atmosphere, my manager was friendly and fair. All of my co-workers were hard working, a lot of team work.We got to make our own schedule and decided at what time we would take our breaks.There was a lot of autonomy.

Cons

The health insurance was not that great, kind of expensive. Long hours 7-7. There was a lot of extra education you have to do complete each year.

Advice to Management

Management was actually very good. They did not tolerate the idea of "nurses eating their young". My manager was a great nurse and a great example.

No Complaints about BayCare

Current Employee - Chaplain Resident in Safety Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Chaplain Resident in Safety Harbor, FL

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best point of working with BayCare is the overwhelming positive work environment. The compassion for the patients is indescribable and the mutual encouragement shared between the various members of the medical staff is exceptional. During my time here I have only heard one person complain about working here. She is no longer with us though I'm not sure who initiated her leave. She was very unhappy about life in general. It is not unusual to find people who have worked here for 25 and 30+ years.

Cons

I seriously can not think of a down side to working here. This is as best as I can do: the traffic light has extended red signals at the entrance of the hospital.

Advice to Management

Joe Mason has recruited an incredible team of intelligent minds to support him in moving the orgnaization forward. Something in the way he speaks and carries himself draws out the best in those around him. The same goes for our hospital president Lou Galdieri and medical VP Jeffrey Held. These men are able to maintain a sensitive balance of excellence and approachability. All of these things work together resulting in a creating a work environment that brings out and promotes the best that people have within them.

6. Coder

Former Employee - Medical Coder/Patient Account Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Coder/Patient Account Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at BayCare Health System (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with a variety of people with a lot of knowledge to share

Cons

Allowed a new director come in and speak to us as if we were a door mat and no help from upper management

Advice to Management

Do not allow anyone in management speak to or treat employees as if they were insignificant and more of a nuisance than employee

7. Under appreciated employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accumulation of paid time off, flexible schedule, health benefits.

Cons

Extremely difficult to get a fair chance at interviewing for new positions. Denied for 6 various positions over the last 4 years. Recruiters don't even talk to managers before they file your resume and application into the garbage.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more. If employees are working beyond their job scope or going above and beyond, compensate them fairly. 3% yearly merit is a joke. Management needs to be involved in the performance of their employees.

Just an opinion

Current Employee - Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a job. You do get shift differential. They are spending a small fortune on computer programs to make things "easier". They spend a lot of money on equipment. Pay and benefits are ok. Great communications equipment available. Construction going on everywhere. This year was the first year that a respectful annual evaluation was done.

Cons

They keep telling us how much worse it is to work at other agencies. Not really sure who these new computer programs are designed to make things easier for. The sheer number of keystrokes needed to log in or input data is just staggering not to mention the amount of shift time consumed to perform all these functions. The money spent on the new equipment is because of either theft or employee abuse which is ignored. Benefits used to be great but when you have to pay back millions of dollars to the federal government- well the math is easy enough to figure out. We are paying more for less coverage and this is from a corporation that virtually owns the entire gamut of health care services. Management uses the communication equipment to relay P&P's (constant changes there) but really fall short on high touch communication skills. For all the talk of going paperless it is hard to see any change. Cronyism, nepotism and discrimination is definitely present. I was told (and have seen) that if management doesn't like you they will block you from going anywhere within the company until you either quit or change status, wait 6 months, and then try it again. This year was the worst bonus in years even after a lot of staff reductions. The bonus was the same across the board but for the few who didn't. So you can work harder than others and yet make the same income.

Advice to Management

This is healthcare- not a hotel. Town hall meetings are not worth much if you are fearing for your job if you speak out. What is it worth to talk to your staff the same as you would a VIP?

9. Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New Port Richey, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in New Port Richey, FL

I have been working at BayCare Health System full-time

Pros

great company, very employee positive, able to choose my hours.

Cons

Can't think of any to be honest

10. I loved working for Baycare...

Former Employee - Financial Assistance Case Worker in Rockledge, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Assistance Case Worker in Rockledge, FL

I worked at BayCare Health System (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent leadership, good values that are reflected in employees, and a team approach to patient care.

Cons

I can't think of any,

11. Food Services Coordinator

I worked at BayCare Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The feeling of helping people was very satisfying.

Cons

Full time varied to much from week to week.

RSS Feed </> Embed