Bayard Advertising

Updated November 7, 2014
Updated November 7, 2014
2.8

GORDON WALDORF

A company with a big heart!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bayard Advertising full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working for Bayard for 6+ years and couldn't be happier .
    The team here is enthusiastic and fun to work with . The work is hard but rewarding and I am left to manage my tasks and time pretty freely. The family atmosphere makes it easy to come to work every day and the management is very flexible when dealing with schedule and work environment..
    Bayard is a company with a big heart.

Cons

With a young hip staff there is a lot of turn over in administrative positions as employees climb the ladder to higher positions and a more comprehensive training plan might make the work flow run more smoothly.

More company sponsored activities to help build even more of the great teamwork and company friendships all of us who work here enjoy .......

Jun 30, 2014Director

That's great that you are happy, thanks for the post!

You'll love the people you work with and hate the people you work for.

I have been working at Bayard Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bayard has given me the opportunity to learn a little bit about the advertising industry and how to deal with difficult clients, bosses, and coworkers. The location of the office is great, the hours are fairly lenient, and most people working here are genuinely great people.

Cons

Because we are a recruitment advertising agency, you are always doing research on why any company is a good place to work. Through the research you do on each project, you are reminded that Bayard does not have any of the qualities that make for a good workplace: good pay, good benefits, good culture, values, good management, or even a nice office.

With the exception of a couple of top level people, everyone is under paid. This leads to a lot of turnover in those positions. The "Mens Club" in upper management have been here forever, make a lot of money, mess things up more than they help, and don't know anything about the advertising industry outside of this twisted company.

The biggest thing that is missing at Bayard is the lack of processes. Lack of processes when it comes to how to deal with client approvals and revisions. A huge lack of processes when it comes to Bayard's employees: annual reviews, time tracking, and explaining job roles. Until upper management puts the time and effort to put some sort of organization to the company from the top down, employees will continue to leave and clients will continue to be disappointed in their final product.

Instead of writing fake reviews on Glassdoor for a better rating, you should actually listen to what your employees and ex-employees recommend. Without them you won't have much of a business in the future.

You also could take one less extravagant vacation a year and give your hardworking employees a raise, a Christmas bonus, or possibly pay for decent coffee in the kitchen.

Extremely Disappointing Experience

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time

Pros

This company is great if you are looking to get your feet wet in the industry, and to gain experience in New York agency life. The people (for the most part) are really great, and they make it enjoyable to come in every day. Bayard gives you many tools to grow your skills, they provide you with many online training tools, they try to stay up-to-date on design software, and if you are lucky, will pay for outside classes if it will aid the company. They have company staff catering on holidays, which is always nice. They are lenient on vacation days, as long as it is within reason. Scheduling at Bayard is pretty great. As long as you're getting your work done, on time, you can leave early for a doctor's appointment, or go to the gym on your lunch break. It's a pretty relaxed schedule, which you don't find at many other places. It's almost like a big dysfunctional family. Which to a lot of people may be a really appealing quality in a workplace.

Cons

There are a lot of challenges working at Bayard. The senior management style is absolutely bizarre. There is no room for growth at Bayard, unless you are favorited. Because they do play favorites. Everyone else has to come to the realization that you will not get a raise. Unless someone is fired. Money is the number one concern at Bayard. Management will cut corners in every which way to save a penny. This might mean cutting someone down to a part-time employee even if there is work piling up, firing an experienced worker to hire someone they would pay less for the same position, even resisting getting new office furniture that is ripping and breaking because it's "good enough". The workers are always scared for their lives that they will walk in and get fired, because it happens too often. Bayard is a revolving door. And will always be.

For a company built upon "telling stories" and "sending the right message", this company does not know how to communicate. There is a complete disconnect between the other offices around the country and the NY headquarters. This leads to some terrible client meetings with angry, dissatisfied clients, because information internally had been poorly communicated. Also, Bayard does not train their employees, WHATSOEVER. No matter what position you are in, you are not given a handbook, a set of rules, a list of daily tasks, an overview of clients, a training session to learn the time management tool, nothing. Employees are simply supposed to "figure it out" by observing. This leads to confusing and frustrating daily interactions, as those who are new make many mistakes (which is not their fault) and are then looked at as "not bright" or "non-thinkers". If upper management took more time to train their employees on how to run programs, and communicate with a unified "Bayard" language, it would be a smoother process for everyone, and maybe people would have better attitudes.

Upper management at Bayard are secretive, unprofessional, and close-minded. When employees speak their minds or voice their concerns, they are shunned. They are even penalized, and then ignored. And eventually fired. Some people who are part of upper management don't even know how the company runs. They don't know what their employees do, what their names are, or realistic expectations of their workday.

The workplace itself is stuck in 1991. Though there has been a recent partial face-lift with a couch and some paint, the office itself still has dirty floors, a pretty nasty kitchen, and deteriorating chairs and desks. You just don't feel clean there. They don't even like inviting clients in because they are too embarrassed. But as previously mentioned, anything to save a penny. Asking for new office supplies is as scary as asking for a raise.

The bottom line is: Bayard will never change. And you really can't change them. Best to know that now. You won't stay long.

There's too much to say. And you won't even listen anyway.

Not A Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The brand/art department are extremely talented. Unfortunately, the designers and writers are a bit more talented than those in charge of the creative direction of the company.

Cons

The creative direction of the company is severely lacking. Strategy and design are important aspects of the advertising industry, and Bayard management misses the mark.
    Additionally, the pay is far below industry standard. When I decided to leave the company, I was surprised by how much more money I was offered elsewhere.

Stop writing fake Glassdoor reviews about how great the company is, and instead focus on improving the things that so many people complain about. Focus on learning more about smart strategy and good design. There are talented art directors and copywriters working for the company who can help teach upper management what those words mean.

The worst company that I have ever worked for

I have been working at Bayard Advertising full-time

Pros

The only good thing about this place are the artists and office hours.

Cons

Bayard is the worst company that I have ever worked for, in my entire career. Their office, management and creative style is stuck in the nineties. This place is sexist and racist. Nobody respects you unless you are in upper management, which treats you like a temporary slave. Poor employees are underpaid and can’t even afford health insurance. People get fired and quit at lightning speed.

P.S. All good reviews here were written by HR. Don’t trust them. RUN, if you have a choice! It can’t be worse than this.

Retire and hire new management

Do NOT work here! "FIFO"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Agency experience in the big apple! Half-3/4 of the employees are hard working, sincere people.

Cons

Upper management is extremely short sided and shallow thinkers. The greed and obsession with cutting corners and saving a buck has a ripple effect that effects employees and clients the same - badly! There's no organization, there's no common goal or purpose, there's no support or training, there's no big picture, there is only the day to day grinding of clients budgets and demoralization of employees. Grudges are held against employees. Bad behaviors flourish due to a lacking integrity and overall hateful treatment of most. All the good employees are your coworkers/peers who are living in the same daily hell as you are. The pay check disparity between those who do work and those who do nothing is shocking! Who says you can't marry into a gravy train?! Benefits are bad, no 401k match, insurance was so much per pay check HR recommended I stay on Cobra from my previous job as it was cheaper (how many people can even say that?!).
    Erratic-ness, racism, sexism, short man syndrome fueled hatred are only a few of the common daily encounters and battles you face in the office. You can also expect internal meddling by people who know nothing more then how to get in your way, pat them self on the back for shaving costs and then toss you under the bus when the client is dissatisfied due to shotty work. Lacking focus and never ending smoke breaks makes finding direction impossible. No clear explanation was ever given, the creative department is full of bright artists, but they're all scared to be creative because they're constantly thrown under the bus by those that should be helping provide them with direction.
    Don't believe any positive ratings or posts on here that are coming from the NY HQ office, they are misleading and untrue. Maybe the other offices are better as they aren't subjected the the ridiculous behaviors practice in the NY HQ office - or maybe not...
    There were constant threats made about people being on short lists and decisions seemed to be made on the fly and without much critical thinking or logic behind them. This caused a very intimidated team and low moral among most of us.
    Anyone good leaves within a few months and anyone else that stays envies those who don't. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone, ever! Stay as far away as you can....this was the biggest waste of time in my professional career. A very confused work environment, reflects the scatter mindedness running the show. There is no internal sense of loyalty towards the employees, everyone's expendable and decisions are made at the drop of a hat. I saw way too many people cry at this office in less than a year's time to recommend this place to someone I hate. Turn and run now, while you can!

Your reputation amongst those currently and formerly employed by you is horrible for a reason. Let potential new hires speak to a soon to be peer prior to them accepting an offer - this will save many people a lot of time and head aches.

Jun 9, 2014Director

Thank you for providing feedback, we’re sorry your career at Bayard Advertising didn’t work out and we wish you the best of luck at your next company. We take these concerns seriously and are ... More

Horrible Work/Life Balance & Benefits, but Big Name Clients

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time

Pros

I worked under a great leader. This person was always in my corner and pushed me to be my best. Bayard is a smaller agency, but pulls in excellent, well-known clients. This is the only reason I see this company succeeding, because they have the capabilities to pull in great clients.

Cons

Bayard refuses to reward their employees. They preach competitive work environments to the clients, yet refuse to provide the same to their own employees. Absolutely horrible health/vision/dental/life benefits, no 401k match, strict 9-5:30 work schedule (don't come in a minute late or leave a minute early...ever), bottom line vacation time and barely any room for advancement. The company offers flex time once a week (Mon-Thur ONLY) where you can leave a couple hours early, but they get mad when you use it.

There is such high turnover here (which happens in all agencies, yes), but if you take care of your employees, they won't leave. When people leave, management piles additional work on your plate (instead of hiring someone new) and won't compensate you for it!

You also can't be super creative at a recruitment agency...which isn't necessarily a fault of Bayard. If you are looking for creativity, steer clear of here and find yourself a consumer agency.

There is no organization within the company whatsoever. Complete disconnect between offices and you'll always be pulled in 19 different ways. There are 50+ different employees with a Vice President title in their email signature or on LinkedIn....check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

Take care of the employees that work hardest for you. Get competitive with your flexibility and benefits. Basically, practice what you preach.

Boutique sized agency that plays and wins against the big boys

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bayard Advertising full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work with top companies across all verticals abound. Those with an entrepreneurial spirit can make a real difference, helping to grow both the company and themselves. Corporate office has been going through a very positive transition. Local offices are very well run. Opportunity to rise from entry level positions to leadership.

Cons

Very competitive industry. Vendor partners constantly trying to squeeze into the agency space can be challenging and frustrating.

Continue with the corporate office improvements. Continue the transition to a more sales focused environment.

Apr 27, 2014Director

Thank you for the review, glad to hear that Bayard is the right fit for you!

Pleasant & Easy Going Atmosphere

I have been working at Bayard Advertising full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I found that the atmosphere was pleasant and easy going. I worked with a great group of people and we were not micromanaged as long as we got the work out. There was a sense of family among the staff and most of the time tried to help each other out.

Cons

The expectations were not clearly defined and it was difficult to navigate in the beginning. I found that you had to ask the hard questions in order to know how you were doing and if anything needed improvement.

Should have annual reviews for performance and salary reviews.

Apr 27, 2014Director

Thank you, sounds like you are happy here, we'll continue to try to improve.

Rewarding career with many opportunities to grow...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bayard Advertising (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of career potential and attention to personal growth, brilliant teams to work with, engaged forward thinking. Caring co-workers and also good leadership. Fun office, casual business atmosphere.

Cons

Some turnover and different offices have different vibes - both are expected at most ad agencies.

Bayard Advertising Photos