Bayard Advertising
www.bayardad.com New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Bayard Advertising Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2014

GORDON WALDORF

A company with a big heart!

New York, NY

ProsI have been working for Bayard for 6+ years and couldn't be happier .
    The team here is enthusiastic and fun to work with . The work is hard but rewarding and I am left to manage my tasks and time pretty freely. The family atmosphere makes it easy to come to work every day and the management is very flexible when dealing with schedule and work environment..
    Bayard is a company with a big heart.

ConsWith a young hip staff there is a lot of turn over in administrative positions as employees climb the ladder to higher positions and a more comprehensive training plan might make the work flow run more smoothly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore company sponsored activities to help build even more of the great teamwork and company friendships all of us who work here enjoy .......

Bayard Advertising Director responded to this review Jun 30, 2014 EditDelete
    That's great that you are happy, thanks for the post!

Do NOT work here! "FIFO"

(Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAgency experience in the big apple! Half-3/4 of the employees are hard working, sincere people.

ConsUpper management is extremely short sided and shallow thinkers. The greed and obsession with cutting corners and saving a buck has a ripple effect that effects employees and clients the same - badly! There's no organization, there's no common goal or purpose, there's no support or training, there's no big picture, there is only the day to day grinding of clients budgets and demoralization of employees. Grudges are held against employees. Bad behaviors flourish due to a lacking integrity and overall hateful treatment of most. All the good employees are your coworkers/peers who are living in the same daily hell as you are. The pay check disparity between those who do work and those who do nothing is shocking! Who says you can't marry into a gravy train?! Benefits are bad, no 401k match, insurance was so much per pay check HR recommended I stay on Cobra from my previous job as it was cheaper (how many people can even say that?!).
    Erratic-ness, racism, sexism, short man syndrome fueled hatred are only a few of the common daily encounters and battles you face in the office. You can also expect internal meddling by people who know nothing more then how to get in your way, pat them self on the back for shaving costs and then toss you under the bus when the client is dissatisfied due to shotty work. Lacking focus and never ending smoke breaks makes finding direction impossible. No clear explanation was ever given, the creative department is full of bright artists, but they're all scared to be creative because they're constantly thrown under the bus by those that should be helping provide them with direction.
    Don't believe any positive ratings or posts on here that are coming from the NY HQ office, they are misleading and untrue. Maybe the other offices are better as they aren't subjected the the ridiculous behaviors practice in the NY HQ office - or maybe not...
    There were constant threats made about people being on short lists and decisions seemed to be made on the fly and without much critical thinking or logic behind them. This caused a very intimidated team and low moral among most of us.
    Anyone good leaves within a few months and anyone else that stays envies those who don't. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone, ever! Stay as far away as you can....this was the biggest waste of time in my professional career. A very confused work environment, reflects the scatter mindedness running the show. There is no internal sense of loyalty towards the employees, everyone's expendable and decisions are made at the drop of a hat. I saw way too many people cry at this office in less than a year's time to recommend this place to someone I hate. Turn and run now, while you can!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour reputation amongst those currently and formerly employed by you is horrible for a reason. Let potential new hires speak to a soon to be peer prior to them accepting an offer - this will save many people a lot of time and head aches.

Bayard Advertising Director responded to this review Jun 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for providing feedback, we’re sorry your career at Bayard Advertising didn’t work out and we wish you the best of luck at your next company. We take these concerns seriously and are ... More

Boutique sized agency that plays and wins against the big boys

New York, NY

ProsOpportunities to work with top companies across all verticals abound. Those with an entrepreneurial spirit can make a real difference, helping to grow both the company and themselves. Corporate office has been going through a very positive transition. Local offices are very well run. Opportunity to rise from entry level positions to leadership.

ConsVery competitive industry. Vendor partners constantly trying to squeeze into the agency space can be challenging and frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with the corporate office improvements. Continue the transition to a more sales focused environment.

Bayard Advertising Director responded to this review Apr 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for the review, glad to hear that Bayard is the right fit for you!
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible Work/Life Balance & Benefits, but Big Name Clients

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsI worked under a great leader. This person was always in my corner and pushed me to be my best. Bayard is a smaller agency, but pulls in excellent, well-known clients. This is the only reason I see this company succeeding, because they have the capabilities to pull in great clients.

ConsBayard refuses to reward their employees. They preach competitive work environments to the clients, yet refuse to provide the same to their own employees. Absolutely horrible health/vision/dental/life benefits, no 401k match, strict 9-5:30 work schedule (don't come in a minute late or leave a minute early...ever), bottom line vacation time and barely any room for advancement. The company offers flex time once a week (Mon-Thur ONLY) where you can leave a couple hours early, but they get mad when you use it.

There is such high turnover here (which happens in all agencies, yes), but if you take care of your employees, they won't leave. When people leave, management piles additional work on your plate (instead of hiring someone new) and won't compensate you for it!

You also can't be super creative at a recruitment agency...which isn't necessarily a fault of Bayard. If you are looking for creativity, steer clear of here and find yourself a consumer agency.

There is no organization within the company whatsoever. Complete disconnect between offices and you'll always be pulled in 19 different ways. There are 50+ different employees with a Vice President title in their email signature or on LinkedIn....check it out for yourself if you don't believe me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the employees that work hardest for you. Get competitive with your flexibility and benefits. Basically, practice what you preach.

Pleasant & Easy Going Atmosphere

ProsI found that the atmosphere was pleasant and easy going. I worked with a great group of people and we were not micromanaged as long as we got the work out. There was a sense of family among the staff and most of the time tried to help each other out.

ConsThe expectations were not clearly defined and it was difficult to navigate in the beginning. I found that you had to ask the hard questions in order to know how you were doing and if anything needed improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have annual reviews for performance and salary reviews.

Bayard Advertising Director responded to this review Apr 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you, sounds like you are happy here, we'll continue to try to improve.

Rewarding career with many opportunities to grow...

Denver, CO

ProsLots of career potential and attention to personal growth, brilliant teams to work with, engaged forward thinking. Caring co-workers and also good leadership. Fun office, casual business atmosphere.

ConsSome turnover and different offices have different vibes - both are expected at most ad agencies.

A great place to build a career in advertising!

ProsHas all the resources of the largest agencies without the red tape and politics. Bayard has a great client roster and is dedicated to innovation in the employment communications space. There are plenty of opportunities to grow your career and a continuous learning environment.

ConsAdvertising is a demanding career -- sometimes there can be long hours, crazy deadlines etc., But that is industry-wide -- not just Bayard.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Bayard Advertising Director responded to this review Apr 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for the positive thoughts, we try to create career opportunities for ambitious, hard working people.

A career that has allowed me to grow.

ProsOpportunities for growth
    Great, friendly, helpful environment
    We operate as a team
    Excellent earning potential if you apply yourself
    Flexibility
    Fun office with great people
    A place that I like coming to every day

ConsHealth/medical benefits aren't that great
    Could use more communication between offices and corporate
    Would like to see us try for more awards

Bayard Advertising Director responded to this review Apr 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for sharing, we feel like it is important to enjoy what you do, having fun is part of that enjoyment!

Family business with more politics going on than Washington DC

Brand Strategist (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat place to stay at if you just want status quo. People who work there are mostly very nice.

ConsFamily business with more politics going on than Washington DC. Incompetent management that makes up for it by being overconfident.

Bayard Advertising Director responded to this review Apr 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to write a review, these are things for us to think about.

Chaotic.

ProsThere's a comfortable working enviornment in most offices, lots of balance for work life and personal time, lots of opportunity to learn new things in the advertising world, good clientele, overall very kind coworkers.

ConsThe company overall has the best intentions in mind, but there are a lot of growing pains Bayard is going through over the years that make things very chaotic. I could go on and on about things that are messy at this company, and no company is perfect but there's a lot of big things that make it a very strange place to work. Main issues: back stabbing / finger pointing, internal politics, managerial bueracracy, lack of benefit incentives, lack of 401k matching, expensive healthcare, lack of communication, no organization chart, project management issues, not much opportunity for growth unless you're in a position directly under the upper management. There's also a big lack in compenstation for their employees, and a lot of closed minded direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees and their perspectives. This is a relatively small agency with many complicated areas of experise that employees need to be respected for voicing their opinions. If there is to be any way to move forward, there needs to be a lot that this company is going to have to learn, and fast.

Bayard Advertising Director responded to this review Apr 27, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for the post, we appreciate the feedback.

Worked for Bayard Advertising? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bayard Advertising reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bayard Advertising CEO GORDON WALDORF. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Bayard Advertising employees.