Baycrest Hospital

Updated Dec 18, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Manager - Foundation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baycrest Hospital full-time

Lack of communication
Terrible culture of blame

R N

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital

ProsVery nice working environment. Most of the staffs are dedicated to their jobs and love what they do . There is effective collaboration among interdisciplinary team.

ConsThe managers hire based on who they know and same cultural background. Some units the entire floor is occupied by staffs from the manager's country.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet there be equality when hiring. It is nice to be fair

Lacking benefits for postdoctoral fellows at Rotman Research Insititute

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital full-time

ProsSupervising scientists are of high caliber and can focus on research.
Postdocs receive a $1,500 travel stipend per year.

ConsFor Postdoctoral fellows, there are no benefits. What's even worse, is that full time postdocs are not allowed to join the hospital's health and dental group plan, even if you pay for it yourself. It also didn't help that the HR department gave misleading information. Very disappointing when compared to university based Postdoc positions that have parental top-up benefits and a extended health & dental plan (not taken from salary).

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport postdocs at Rotman Research Insitutue

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once you're in and respected, you're golden. Until then, don't expect much - especially not when working on contract.

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital as a contractor

Pros- Most staff in Research are great.
- They do put in an effort into creating a good environment (unfortunately the execution and response aren't there yet)
- Flexible hours

Cons-Terrible HR/payroll department. Their constant, irresponsible errors ended up costing me a lot of money.
- Most condescending, ineffective and disrespectful directors/managers I have ever experienced, especially when interacting with younger staff.
- Lots of red tape when trying to innovate
- Employee needs and requests often fell through cracks

Nice place, bad managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baycrest Hospital full-time for less than a year

ProsBaycrest is the leader in innovations for the aging. It's wonderful what they are doing. Very high on training. Their full day of orientation was very interesting and well worth it.

ConsManagers may have the education but do not have the managerial skills to be in their positions. They keep to themselves and do not interact with their employees. Not a very friendly work environment. There are people who have worked together for years and know absolutely nothing about each other except their first and last names. The atmosphere is very militant. Some managers walk with their noses up in the air and feel that they are better than the front line employees. Remember, non of us would be there if we did not have the skills or education.

Managers says things and make promises they are unable to stand by, basically putting their feet in their mouths. I wonder how some of them got their positions especially when they do not have people skills and have no clue what they are doing.

HR coordinators have no clue what they are doing.

Baycrest is a beautiful building to work in but lacks the proper management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementBaycrest should offer training to their managers in how to acquire people skills to properly communicate with their employees. Stop thinking of yourselves as being better than the front line staff and spend some time to communicate efficiently and in a humane way with your staff and maybe you would get more out of them. I don't think the CEO is aware of what is going on with his management team. Needs to pay more attention!

Nice and friendly environment

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Prosnice & friendly people, strive for innovation

Consslow & inefficient HR, bureaucracy, too much work with not enough manpower

Disappointing

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Baycrest Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing research that at some point may affect us all.

ConsFocus is on the leaders and not the workers

Advice to Senior ManagementCut through the red tape and let staff get on with it

Organization which tries hard to live its mission and vision - but not there yet

Front-line (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital

ProsValues of CARE (Client Centred Care, Advocacy, Respect & Excellence) are supported in daily work.

People are great

True contribution to community

ConsSafe learning environment /learning from mistakes is a thing of the past with new leadership

Poor communication - areas of organization going in different directions / not communicating & understanding each other's objectives at front line level

WIGS (wildly important goals) program is praised by management but not supported by staff

Refers to itself as a learning organization, but this is not seen in practice - minimal staff / leadership development opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementIntroduce programs which enable staff and departments to once again work together - reduce isolation. Need strategic direction to be set up in a way front-line staff can relate to and understand their contribution.

Implement some form of leadership planning - develop current staff internally.

A good place to start, and that's about it.

Research Assistant I (Former Employee)

I worked at Baycrest Hospital

ProsBaycrest has a very flexible work environment - come in any time and leave after your 8 hours are done. No micro-management at the lab, but depends on which lab you are in. The IT department is ridiculously awesome, but you won't find that awesomeness everywhere. The Friday tea times were very fun and a good way to keep the staff informed about informal events going on at the research centre.

ConsThe clientele can be exceptionally demanding, especially if you are running clinical studies. It is also hard to get time with a good statistician. Sometimes you just get treated like a live statistics machine and psychometrist, with no input into data interpretation or the write-up. Can get frustrating for those who like to be in control of work from start to finish. Also, no benefits because they keep all research assistants on contract, and they get btchy about approving vacation time (for no apparent reason).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't look at research assistants as merely number crunchers. We didn't write undergraduate theses without knowing a thing or two about analytics, as well.

Worked for Baycrest Hospital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baycrest Hospital reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Baycrest Hospital employees.