Baycrest Hospital

Updated November 14, 2014
2.3

CEO

Manager - Foundation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Baycrest Hospital full-time

Pros

Strong core staff
    Beautiful offices
    Strong researchers

Cons

Terrible Senior Leadership
    Lack of communication
    Terrible culture of blame

Lacking benefits for postdoctoral fellows at Rotman Research Institute

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital full-time

Pros

Supervising scientists are of high caliber and can focus on research.
    Postdocs receive a travel stipend.

Cons

For Postdoctoral fellows, there are no benefits. What's even worse, is that full time postdocs are not allowed to join the hospital's health and dental group plan, even if you pay for it yourself. It also didn't help that the HR department gave misleading information. Very disappointing when compared to other local Postdoc positions that have parental top-up benefits and a extended health & dental plan (not taken from salary).

The travel stipend was a nice benefit but that was cut without any consultation (even though it's in contracts).

Support postdocs at Rotman Research Institute.

I wish I had listened to other reviews here and ran the other way...

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The vision, mission and values of the hospital are in the right place.

Cons

Team members who do not want to share information and teach basically sets new employees up for failure. Management simply turns the other eye to the toxic environment this creates. Agree with previous review- terrible culture of blame and lack of communication.

Management needs to pay closer attention to office culture. Personal growth and team success is limited by the lack of direction management provides to their employees.

R N

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital

Pros

Very nice working environment. Most of the staffs are dedicated to their jobs and love what they do . There is effective collaboration among interdisciplinary team.

Cons

The managers hire based on who they know and same cultural background. Some units the entire floor is occupied by staffs from the manager's country.

Let there be equality when hiring. It is nice to be fair

Once you're in and respected, you're golden. Until then, don't expect much - especially not when working on contract.

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital as a contractor

Pros

- Most staff in Research are great.
    - They do put in an effort into creating a good environment (unfortunately the execution and response aren't there yet)
    - Flexible hours

Cons

-Terrible HR/payroll department. Their constant, irresponsible errors ended up costing me a lot of money.
    - Most condescending, ineffective and disrespectful directors/managers I have ever experienced, especially when interacting with younger staff.
    - Lots of red tape when trying to innovate
    - Employee needs and requests often fell through cracks

Nice place, bad managers

I worked at Baycrest Hospital full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Baycrest is the leader in innovations for the aging. It's wonderful what they are doing. Very high on training. Their full day of orientation was very interesting and well worth it.

Cons

Managers may have the education but do not have the managerial skills to be in their positions. They keep to themselves and do not interact with their employees. Not a very friendly work environment. There are people who have worked together for years and know absolutely nothing about each other except their first and last names. The atmosphere is very militant. Some managers walk with their noses up in the air and feel that they are better than the front line employees. Remember, non of us would be there if we did not have the skills or education.

Managers says things and make promises they are unable to stand by, basically putting their feet in their mouths. I wonder how some of them got their positions especially when they do not have people skills and have no clue what they are doing.

HR coordinators have no clue what they are doing.

Baycrest is a beautiful building to work in but lacks the proper management team.

Baycrest should offer training to their managers in how to acquire people skills to properly communicate with their employees. Stop thinking of yourselves as being better than the front line staff and spend some time to communicate efficiently and in a humane way with your staff and maybe you would get more out of them. I don't think the CEO is aware of what is going on with his management team. Needs to pay more attention!

Nice and friendly environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice & friendly people, strive for innovation

Cons

slow & inefficient HR, bureaucracy, too much work with not enough manpower

Disappointing

Former Employee - Human Resources in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Baycrest Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing research that at some point may affect us all.

Cons

Focus is on the leaders and not the workers

Cut through the red tape and let staff get on with it

Organization which tries hard to live its mission and vision - but not there yet

Current Employee - Front-line in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Front-line in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Baycrest Hospital

Pros

Values of CARE (Client Centred Care, Advocacy, Respect & Excellence) are supported in daily work.

People are great

True contribution to community

Cons

Safe learning environment /learning from mistakes is a thing of the past with new leadership

Poor communication - areas of organization going in different directions / not communicating & understanding each other's objectives at front line level

WIGS (wildly important goals) program is praised by management but not supported by staff

Refers to itself as a learning organization, but this is not seen in practice - minimal staff / leadership development opportunities

Introduce programs which enable staff and departments to once again work together - reduce isolation. Need strategic direction to be set up in a way front-line staff can relate to and understand their contribution.

Implement some form of leadership planning - develop current staff internally.

A good place to start, and that's about it.

Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant I in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Baycrest Hospital

Pros

Baycrest has a very flexible work environment - come in any time and leave after your 8 hours are done. No micro-management at the lab, but depends on which lab you are in. The IT department is ridiculously awesome, but you won't find that awesomeness everywhere. The Friday tea times were very fun and a good way to keep the staff informed about informal events going on at the research centre.

Cons

The clientele can be exceptionally demanding, especially if you are running clinical studies. It is also hard to get time with a good statistician. Sometimes you just get treated like a live statistics machine and psychometrist, with no input into data interpretation or the write-up. Can get frustrating for those who like to be in control of work from start to finish. Also, no benefits because they keep all research assistants on contract, and they get btchy about approving vacation time (for no apparent reason).

Don't look at research assistants as merely number crunchers. We didn't write undergraduate theses without knowing a thing or two about analytics, as well.