Bayer AG Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014

Marijn E. Dekkers

Great place to learn about the industry

Current Employee - Intern  in  Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Bayer AG

Pros

The internship program at the Baytown site is well-organized and geared towards educating the students. Supervisors will introduce interns to varied aspects of a chemical process through small projects covering basic unit ops - as is expected - and offer the expertise of senior engineers when the assignments turn hard. Activities, like dinners out and Astros games, are a nice reprieve from the drab Baytown surroundings as well as a chance to meet interns working in other units. The city of Baytown is a typical run-down oil town, and while there isn't much to do except suffer in the summer heat, it is inexpensive.

Cons

It's hard to stay busy at work for a number of reasons: managers are afraid of giving too much responsibility or assignments that may not have been covered in school, they're hesitant to bring 3-month hires up to speed on ongoing projects, and they don't want to thrust us in existing groups for fear that, if we don't work out, they'll be responsible. I haven't interned in other facilities, so it's unknown whether the Baytown plant is unique in this regard. At the end of summer, there's a mandatory presentation summarizing our contributions to the company. These two downsides do not go well together.

I haven't met senior management and I haven't worked here long enough to form an opinion.

German way or no way

Current Employee - Middle Management  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Bayer AG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are paid well. Peers and colleagues are great allies.

Cons

Management asks for opinion, but does what they want in the end. They don't encourage nor recognize creativity if not introduced by Germany. Many service employees are treated like school children--no trust nor work-life balance.

Be accountable and trust employees. Incorporate a better work-life balance (walk the talk). Embrace employees' ideas, learn what would engage employees and have a better reward and recognition program in place that is transparent and fair.

Good definitions and tools for People Management poorly executed.

I worked at Bayer AG for more than 3 years

Pros

Salaries and benefits. Solid company

Cons

A lot of rules and policies are written in the headquarters for the other countries to follow, The policies and practices that are established in the headquarters are beautifully written in paper but not followed by the ones who define them. People management and professional growth will depend if you have a friend somewhere in the company in top management.

Be aware that if execution related to people management continues to be dealt in such a poor way, this company will not be sustaintable only for its brand as it happened up to now. you will not be able to retain and attract the next generation of leaders with the old club mindset, many decisions around people are not oriented by LIFE values

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good employer

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Leverkusen (Germany)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Leverkusen (Germany)

I worked at Bayer AG as an intern for less than a year

Pros

very nice colleagues, very supportive, interesting projects to work on for interns, good immersion into department and opportunity to connect to colleagues from other departments

Cons

conservative, not very flexible,
    many people needed to be asked to approve ideas and decisions before projects can move on to implementation

empower and encourage employees to make decisions themselves instead of asking to follow endless approval chain of commands

Bayer Canada Inc

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Bayer AG full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits and middle of the road salary. Adhering to compliance laws very important and advertised throughout the company. Continuing education programs are well supported and financed for those who like to take courses while working.

Cons

Bottom line management style...Sacrificing talent, experience and home grown employees to outsourced companies. Touted as greenest employer and top 100 for the last 6 years or so but hasn't done anything new since the first year. No room for managerial advancement despite annual re-orgs and policy shifts. No real training for new employees..a sink or swim mentality. Way too much bureaucracy!

Rather than sitting on laurels for past achievements..learn to lead and grow. Trust your employees and understand that a Bayer employee has more of a vested interest in the company and the work that needs doing more so than a 3rd party would and would do a better job. Recognize that morale has been in decline for last 5+ years.

Good company, but not here

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Sofia (Bulgaria)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Sofia (Bulgaria)

I worked at Bayer AG full-time for more than a year

Pros

- development opportunities
    - compensation
    - training
    - values and culture

Cons

- country management
    - compliance issues
    - each Subgroup is on its own, there is no real company culture and spirit

Procurement Specialist

Current Employee - Procurement Specialist  in  Athens (Greece)
    Current Employee - Procurement Specialist in Athens (Greece)

I have been working at Bayer AG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working life balance, great opportunities for rotation, aspiring colleagues , multinational environment that allows you to collaborate and network with colleagues all over the world

Cons

The opportunities for escalating to management positions are scarce

Reduce Complexity

Working at Bayer

Current Employee - Regional Manager  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Bayer AG

Pros

Good Organization, Very Stable and Strong. Great employee retention policies. Good Opportunities to work in different departments, places and positions.

Cons

Compensation is below market players.

Provide more growth on top levels.

Working at Bayer Inc. (Canada)

Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Bayer AG

Pros

The employee's benefits are very good, you don't pay for your medications at all (100% coverage).

Cons

You need to be friend and liked by the "right" person to be promoted.
    The promotion process is not objective.
    Not enough minority diversity, Bayer has a lot of work to do at that level.
    Plus the more you look up into the senior mangement the less you see people of "color".

Please offer more opportunities to people from DIFERENT BACKGROUND, they can handle tough jobs too.

Just get in if you have no other place to go, If there is another choise, move on.

Former Employee - IT Coordinator  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - IT Coordinator in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Bayer AG

Pros

For sure the worst place I have worked for in my entire professional life.
    I can say they are a giant company in this alone can represent a good reason to work for Bayer, but I just recommend it if you have a plan to improve your resume in a multinational company with a straight date to begin and end. From my experience they do not commit the minimum requirements of a healthy place to work, there is no respect for differences, there is no EOE policies, do not expect to find equal opportunities with your same level partners and so on.

Cons

I must repeat some listed below: they do not commit the minimum requirements of a healthy place to work, there is no respect for differences, there is no EOE policies, do not expect to find equal opportunities with your same level partners, lack of management skills, lack of communication, RH policies are not clear and transparent to all employees,

They need to learn. They need to share opinion, to be transparent, to be comunicative and so on.

Worked for Bayer AG? Contribute to the Community!