Bayer

Updated December 9, 2014
3.5

Bayer Chairman & CEO Dr. Marijn Dekkers
Dr. Marijn Dekkers

Pros
  • Work life balance was an abstract concept that in most cases did not apply (in 15 reviews)

• Collegial atmosphere, good pay and benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to improve the decision-making process (in 6 reviews)

• immediate senior management should proceed the right culture of the company to the down line (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Definitely not worth!!!

Current Employee - Accounting in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Bayer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big name recognition, everyone always knew the name Bayer when they asked.

Cons

Worked to the bone, managers not supportive, regardless of your work you are always graded the same as those that don't work!

Good team spirit, a drive to perform well whilst keeping patient safety in the forefront of our minds.

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Newbury, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Newbury, MA

I have been working at Bayer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance and a variety of therapeutic areas.

Cons

The systems could communicate more.

Senior tax accountant

Former Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Bayer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Long hours, antiquated systems, poor communications and petty coworkers. These were frequently mentioned as conditions that ensured job security because no one else would be willing to work in them. Work life balance was an abstract concept that in most cases did not apply.

That said, this is a truly global entity and as such is fascinating in most respects. There are different people from all over the world that work to make a better life through the use of science. Entire companies are in various stages of advance and decline, new companies are being formed and old companies are divested and all of this activity is within the Bayer corporate group. If that is the dynamic business environment that you are looking for, they have it at Bayer.

I don't want to sound bitter or cynical, I am not, believe it or not I am grateful for the 5.5 years I worked at Bayer. But what I said in the first paragraph is true. Systems have been (and I think will continue to be) in a more or less constant state of change. This means that the report you developed last year is no longer available, or the information platform has migrated to the new version and the old version is not compatible or not available. So you have to find the new way. (Sounds like flexibility to me)

The people who are responsible for using those various systems to communicate and report financial results must find a way to identify their individual and collective strengths and weaknesses and work together in order for the company to succeed in the years ahead.

Cons

The culture at Bayer reflects an institutionalized narcissism. There was an air of self absorption and self promotion that permeated the environment there. Appearances are prioritized over substantive work contributions. I was repeatedly told that it did not matter how hard I worked or what I accomplished. The thing that did matter was what my manager thought of me. I resented this. When bonuses were awarded, I was told "they spread them like peanut butter" meaning everyone got the same bonus and usually everyone got the same raise. I don't particularly care for peanut butter, and the notion that everyone deserved the same is a lie.

The ideals of Leadership Integrity Flexibility and Efficiency were officially espoused on posters and company emails, the reality was that it was not the ideals themselves that were important at all, it was the appearance of having them listed as guiding principles. My view is that this is a dangerous hypocrisy and will negatively effect the company going forward.

The other major challenge for anyone considering Bayer as a potential employer is this: This is a huge company. In order for you to have an impact of any measurable significance (Good or Bad!), you will have to literally perform a miracle. For some, there is a notion of great security in this condition. They seem to think that they would have to make a really major mistake in order for there to be any negative consequence. I never bought into that thinking, I think your work, no matter how small, always makes a difference. My advice, find a good group and do good work and let that be enough.

Lastly, while I was employed at Bayer, I witnessed first hand the retirement of some key people. These were people that I looked up to and valued. I think the company needs to consider the cost to the company of letting these people go. These people who have years of knowledge and the history of the transactions, the policies and procedures in place and the how and why answers. I think instead of a cake and a dinner party and a handshake at the door, I would seek to engage these minds and use a period of time to transition and call them back when needed to get their input and advice. Too much talent is wasted.

Quit. Reapply to your old positions with the new HR system and see if you can get your old job back. I think it would be a good test for the systems and for you. Let me know how it works out. Best of Luck.

Big change for the worse from Berlex to Bayer.

Former Employee - Regional Director in Eden, UT
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Eden, UT

I worked at Bayer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with.

Cons

The pay is low compared to industry standards.

Overall good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whippany, NJ

I have been working at Bayer full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability. No major organization shakeups. Good work life balance. Most of the employees stay for more than 10 years

Cons

No new areas to expand. People stay for long time creating red tape & resistance to change

Focus on employee development and opportunities

Bayer has excellent stability and benefits, but needs to take more risks to keep up with the times

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Bayer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have found the the overall benefits and salaries are competitive. Every doctor seems to think I have really good healthcare coverage. And they still offer a pseudo-pension. They are exceptionally stable and did well, even through the recession, because of their diverse portfolio (healthcare, crop science and material science).

Cons

Their personnel change management is terrible. They do a good job with regard to process change management, but at the Berkeley Site, they have zero change management with regard to people or culture. They value external talent so much more than internal talent, which is sad, because the people here work their butts off. I suppose this is a pro if you're looking to leave another company to work here. People here also work really, really hard at their jobs, but I'm not sure we feel appreciated enough.

It takes such a small investment to care for people. People today still talk about an amazing off-site dinner dance, or the company picnic in Santa Cruz, because it made them feel cared for. Value your internal talent and listen to folks at all levels of the organization for great ideas.

A positive challenge and rewarding experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

I have been working at Bayer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bayer is a large company, but you still feel like you matter. They are big on developing people into what they want to become. The only thing that will hold you back is yourself if you let that happen.

Cons

You do put in a lot of hours there and that sometimes has a negative impact on your personal life.

Bayer has a nice program called Better Because of You. My advice to upper management would be to acknowledge the long hours put in and maybe reward that time given to the company with BBOY points. Just a way to say thanks for all the hours beyond 45 that are put in to help the continued success of the company.

Horrible company. ..thank goodness I left

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Bayer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bayer has a decent vacation policy

Cons

Does not promote from within, does not recognize hard work, managers are mean.

Treat employees with respect & dignity

Great atmosphere lower pay. Awesome benefits

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Baytown, TX
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Baytown, TX

I have been working at Bayer full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great atmosphere. Development system is a great idea.

Cons

Pay is significantly lower than comparable companies in the Houston Ship Channel. Personal development process tends to be somewhat mundane and not serving its purpose. Improvements should be made to it.

Provide a more personal dialogue. Show what opportunities employees have within the company. Most people leave because of higher offers elsewhere.

One of the best companies I have worked for.

Former Employee - Cooperative Education IT in Robinson, PA
    Former Employee - Cooperative Education IT in Robinson, PA

I worked at Bayer as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

High pay, good work life balance, supportive environment, and numerous opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Most of the company wide decision making is made in Germany and applied to the US business.

Bayer Photos