Bayer
www.bayerus.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

Bayer Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Bayer – US – “Bayer sign”

Bayer Chairman & CEO Dr. Marijn Dekkers

Dr. Marijn Dekkers

Pros:
  • "Excellent benefits and good compensation with fairly good work-life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Average Pay and benefits, good coworkers"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "As part of the change over the last five years, decision making is mostly done in Germany"
    in 5 reviews
  • "immediate senior management should proceed the right culture of the company to the down line"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to grow professionally and personally back in early 2000.

Corporate Paralegal (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsAdvancement opportunities, professional growth, corporate recognition for jobs well done and, yes, even gaiety in the workplace.

ConsSome challenging personalities, very difficult to exceed management's expectations during performance reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to have seen executive management really understand the value of their workforce with more positive feedback and incentives. Morale started to fall and affected productivity adversely. When employee morale was high and people were happy, it was a much nicer work environment.

No equal opportunity

Analyst (Current Employee)

Prosgood 401K, free coffee, good share purchase plan

ConsDead-end entry level job-no career mobility

Advice to Senior ManagementYoung graduates get promoted regularly--older employees get ignored

Professional Services

ProsBAYER has great brand recognition.

ConsBAYER is a portfolio manager. Small divisions are sometimes not supported well.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Needs improvement, but alright overall

Human Resources Recruiting (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat co-workers, annual bonus regardless of pay grade/position, great benefits, established well known brand, nice facilities and always trying to improve processes.

ConsManagement not in touch with lower level employees or what they do day to day. Germany controls everything with little understanding of the laws in the US which presents challenges from a legal and HR perspective. Little room for employee development, no mentoring and serious lack of resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen considering process changes, consult with the employees it affects. They know their job better than anyone. Work - life balance is touted but not felt by all level of employee across the entire company.

Overall it's a good company to work for in a new modern environment with open workstations without walls and offices.

Administrative Special Functions Or Department Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Whippany, NJ

ProsGreat people, Very good compensation, Family and health oriented.

ConsFast organizational changes, big fluctuation of staff, could feel sterile since the consolidation to a 3000 people site.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds improvement on company communications/politics, detailed directions and consistency.

Textbook example of a horrible management team

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Morristown, NJ

ProsOk life style as a consultant
    Occasionally there might be some interesting projects
    90% international since no American will take the job

ConsThis is a place you can see text-book examples of horrible management team:
    Insecure, inapt, excel only in office politic, no patience, treats lower rankings with no respect for anything, loves bullying only the lower ranking people while ass-kissing the higher rankings. The way how it is run here brings negative surprise everyday, and it is quite eye-opening.
    If one survives here, he is prepared for the worst type of politics and bad management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf H1B was never a issue, 70% of the ppl will be gone within 3 months. Just an heads-up.

executive assistant for CEO position - whippany

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthere were none to report

ConsThis job has been posted by Bayer and every possible head hunter in the tri-state area for almost a year now. I first saw this in June 2013. Either they have learned to get along without one and or they are looking for a person that need to meet some incredibly impossible standards. Either way this is a bad bad sign.

Bayer Employment

Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsBenefits are extensive, including paternal leave, 3 weeks vacation, very safety conscious, friendly environment, good work life balance, possibility of working remotely if necessary.

ConsSometimes change comes without much notice.

Hands down, the best internship experience I could have asked for

Operational Excellence Intern (Current Employee)
    Berkeley, CA

Pros- Intelligent and helpful coworkers
    - In my department, there was free coffee (woohoo!), freedom to design one's own workspace, and a bevy of different projects to work on.
    - I was given meaningful work to do - very rewarding feeling!
    - Basketball court on-site
    - Interns had several intern-only sessions facilitated by great HR folks, who conducted different activities that helped us as PEOPLE, not necessarily as employees or as interns
    - Opportunity to attend company's Six Sigma green belt training
    - Great HR, great manager, great department, great company. I would recommend an internship with Bayer to anybody.

ConsPace of work can vary from really slow to 'holy crap I have a lot to get done'

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Great organization, yet international direction affects job security

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBayer salary and benefits are good

ConsBayer hires primarily contractors that must work for years before being hired as an employee

Worked for Bayer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bayer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bayer CEO Dr. Marijn Dekkers . All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Bayer employees.