Baylor Health Care System

Baylor Health Care System Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Baylor Health Care System President and CEO Joel T. Allison

Joel T. Allison

Pros:
  • "Priority on a work / life balance"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Has some very good people scattered throughout the organization"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "opportunity to move to another position can be hindered by current manager"
    in 4 reviews
  • "No one could make a decision, too much red tape"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company but like many, improvements pending.

I have been working at Baylor Health Care System full-time

ProsOverall a great culture and I'm lucky to have a good team. When I have down days they seem to sense it and let me know I'm appreciated. Also appreciate the flexible schedule, willingness to let me learn new things (they seem to really like that in employees), and a focus on patient centered care. When people go out of their way to accomplish something or do something nice for a patient - they let them know it's appreciated. I feel the compensation is fair and benefits similar to other local organizations.

ConsLack of discipline in some areas of IT - do not always like to take the time to gain clarity about efforts, do requirements or plan things out. Rogue projects fly under the radar.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't speak for the rest of the company, but the vision/values of IT doesn't always seem to get passed down to the right people. The flex time and remote days are great perks for IT which I would strongly encourage you not to dismiss in the merge process.

Too much work for what it pays..

I have been working at Baylor Health Care System full-time

Prosgood benefits
you get lunch for free almost everyday

ConsThere is a high probability that your first 2 o 3 paychecks will get later that what you expected..

Worked there for 17 years.

I have been working at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe staff level employees are great.

ConsLeadership talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

BHCS Challenges

I worked at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere a numerous aspects of this business that are a class act. I would go here for healthcare when given the opportunity to choose. It is also an amazing environment where many people have a long history with the company.

ConsThere are some fairly serious challenges as it relates to service prioritization and funding. The authority with which physicians operate outside of direct medical/patient care is difficult to manage at time. As a health system that works to integrate numerous areas there are other areas where too much autonomy is given.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a need to consider more of the recommendations of non-clinical staff.

Baylor Helpdesk

Help Desk Analyst I (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery flexible on the hours I wanted to work; Very helpful when one is trying to further their education

Consmanager imposed her Christianity on all of her employees

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your managers don't wave their bibles in their employees faces.

Baylor Health Care System in the 21st Century

I worked at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey try to do the right thing.

ConsToo many chiefs. Not enough Indians

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure managers have experience doing what they are supervising

Management out of touch with reality and dishonest.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Garland, TX

I have been working at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than a year

ProsThe other nurses on my unit were fantastic. It has been a great team and I always knew I could count on every one of them to support and help out in emergency situations.

Cons1. Upper management has created a culture of lying to employees to keep them from quitting.
2. Management makes decisions about changes to patient care without asking the nurses and doctors how the changes will affect the level of patient care.
3. Supplies are inadequately maintained and are of poor quality.
4. Equipment is not well maintained.
5. Safe staffing is not prioritized; nurses are often left to be a nurse, a secretary, and a scrub tech b/c the company refuses to hire someone to do those jobs. This takes nurses away from the bedside, making the environment unsafe for patient care.
6. Night shift is ignored. The cafeteria is closed at night. Mandatory meetings are scheduled in the middle of the day, and are scheduled only once forcing the night shift to wake up in the middle of their "night" to come in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employee feedback. If we tell you something you have done is not safe, take heed and act on it quickly.
Communicate openly and honestly so that rumors will not develop, and so that the employees feel like we can trust what you tell us.
Don't ignore the night shift. We keep this hospital running and the patients alive when the doctors are all at home sleeping.

Not a good experience-Baylor Heart and Vascular

I worked at Baylor Health Care System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPuts up a excellent facade

ConsWants you to think like they do. Wants you to sell T- shirts when your workload is too great. Pay isn't competitive. Management/HR does not listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your "front lines". They are the ones doing the work.

Hostile work environment

I worked at Baylor Health Care System

Pros401k matching in competitive. PTO accrual and pay are lowest in the area. Plenty of overtime available since units are chronically understaffed.

ConsEverything. Management has no bedside experience. Hiring is based of social circles. Pay is lowest in the metroplex. Strong opinions cause employees to be targeted. Working conditions are dangerous since staffing grids continue to decrease and acuity increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring your friends and start looking for qualified leaders. Keep tabs on what is going on on your unit. Stop targeting employees and fostering a backstabbing everyone for themselves environment.

Financial Analyst

I worked at Baylor Health Care System

ProsGood company to have on the resume. Great leadership on the Dr. Side of the business

ConsFinancial management team is a joke. Managers and directors lack skills necessary to perform job functions well. Additionally, promotions are a joke. One example is promoting someone who lacks even a community college degree to a financial analyst position. Poor leadership, poor talent, and lack of pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace Financial Management

Worked for Baylor Health Care System? Contribute to the Community!

Baylor Health Care System Videos

Baylor Health Care System – Why Work for Us?

Founded as a Christian ministry of healing, Baylor Health Care System exists to serve all people through exemplary health care, education, research and community service. Company Overview Baylor Health Care System is… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baylor Health Care System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baylor Health Care System CEO Joel T. Allison. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Baylor Health Care System employees.