Baylor Health Care System

Baylor Health Care System Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014

Baylor Health Care System President and CEO Joel T. Allison

Joel T. Allison

Pros
  • Priority on a work / life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Has some very good people scattered throughout the organization(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • opportunity to move to another position can be hindered by current manager(in 4 reviews)

• No one could make a decision, too much red tape(in 3 reviews)

Pay was good . Long hours .left because of knee condition not healing

Not Employed Left Company (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat staff , pay was good, vacation time was also good.

ConsBenefits and retirement could be better

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on not only not cutting benefits but give some back. The market is running like a bull.
    And workers still have the same everything when we had economic downturn. You will burn out the people that are doing the work of 2 people for same pay. Someone is making money .

Good place to work if you aren't looking for advancement.

ProsThis hospital system has good benefits and pretty good pay. They also have good vacation time. The tuition remimbursement is great.

ConsHowever, there is not much room for advancement and the company does not seem to be very supportive of career changes even though they offer tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to change career paths within the organization if they have chosen to go back to school and seek additional education.

Good or bad depending on your supervisor.

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe name, reputation. The benefits. Good core values. I met a lot of really nice people during my time at Baylor.

ConsAwful salaries. Bad managers all over... I had little to no training in the beginning . I also never had my promised 30 and 90 day reviews with my boss. I never knew how I was doing or progressing. I was given little to no opportunity to learn and grow professionally. Worst boss I have evert had- played favortism to the extreme...

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house- get rid of the bad managers and leaders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad

Technical Consultant II (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsNot bad work environment. I like it just fine

ConsAll companies have their bad things. They are going through the challenge of health care reform which is hard to deal with.

Worked there for 17 years.

ProsThe staff level employees are great.

ConsLeadership talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above

Too much work for what it pays..

Prosgood benefits
    you get lunch for free almost everyday

ConsThere is a high probability that your first 2 o 3 paychecks will get later that what you expected..

BHCS Challenges

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThere a numerous aspects of this business that are a class act. I would go here for healthcare when given the opportunity to choose. It is also an amazing environment where many people have a long history with the company.

ConsThere are some fairly serious challenges as it relates to service prioritization and funding. The authority with which physicians operate outside of direct medical/patient care is difficult to manage at time. As a health system that works to integrate numerous areas there are other areas where too much autonomy is given.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a need to consider more of the recommendations of non-clinical staff.

Great company but like many, improvements pending.

ProsOverall a great culture and I'm lucky to have a good team. When I have down days they seem to sense it and let me know I'm appreciated. Also appreciate the flexible schedule, willingness to let me learn new things (they seem to really like that in employees), and a focus on patient centered care. When people go out of their way to accomplish something or do something nice for a patient - they let them know it's appreciated. I feel the compensation is fair and benefits similar to other local organizations.

ConsLack of discipline in some areas of IT - do not always like to take the time to gain clarity about efforts, do requirements or plan things out. Rogue projects fly under the radar.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't speak for the rest of the company, but the vision/values of IT doesn't always seem to get passed down to the right people. The flex time and remote days are great perks for IT which I would strongly encourage you not to dismiss in the merge process.

Baylor Helpdesk

Help Desk Analyst I (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsVery flexible on the hours I wanted to work; Very helpful when one is trying to further their education

Consmanager imposed her Christianity on all of her employees

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your managers don't wave their bibles in their employees faces.

Management out of touch with reality and dishonest.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Garland, TX

ProsThe other nurses on my unit were fantastic. It has been a great team and I always knew I could count on every one of them to support and help out in emergency situations.

Cons1. Upper management has created a culture of lying to employees to keep them from quitting.
    2. Management makes decisions about changes to patient care without asking the nurses and doctors how the changes will affect the level of patient care.
    3. Supplies are inadequately maintained and are of poor quality.
    4. Equipment is not well maintained.
    5. Safe staffing is not prioritized; nurses are often left to be a nurse, a secretary, and a scrub tech b/c the company refuses to hire someone to do those jobs. This takes nurses away from the bedside, making the environment unsafe for patient care.
    6. Night shift is ignored. The cafeteria is closed at night. Mandatory meetings are scheduled in the middle of the day, and are scheduled only once forcing the night shift to wake up in the middle of their "night" to come in.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to employee feedback. If we tell you something you have done is not safe, take heed and act on it quickly.
    Communicate openly and honestly so that rumors will not develop, and so that the employees feel like we can trust what you tell us.
    Don't ignore the night shift. We keep this hospital running and the patients alive when the doctors are all at home sleeping.

Worked for Baylor Health Care System? Contribute to the Community!