Baynote

3.4

Bill Hustad

I love Baynote!

I have been working at Baynote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product innovation differentiating us from the competition. Great people to work with- smart and positive!

Cons

Negative people who were let go or fired have left disingenuous reviews here in order to hurt those hardworkers who remain.

Keep up the good work!

Good management with focus on new positive direction for company

I have been working at Baynote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is coming out of transition period and is now moving in all the right ways. Results are showing. Very collaborative environment with strong, dedicated teams.

Cons

Some of the unfortunate negativity of a small amount of the employee base is poisonous, like anywhere.

Get a handle on the negativity of some of the employees and let them know it stops now. Bad, negative attitudes are as damaging as poor performance.
    Keep staying on course on the turnaround. It really is a great place to work and the company is well-positioned for big success.

Turnover, Bureaucracy and Hypocrisy

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Baynote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location is ideal if you live in the South Bay. There was a time when the culture was really great. Core platform could be very competitive. Dario and Max who head the Engineering team are very solid and capable leaders. Some of the staff on PSO are really great and smart people.

Cons

The management is literally sinking this ship. Every quarter the team gets smaller and smaller. They spin bad news better than Fox. Millions in lost revenue over the past few years. Major drama with key hires and tons of gossip and gamesmanship. You have to have a thick skin or incredible patience to endure here. In such a competitive job market it insane how little they pay, offer in benefits and poorly they manage their staff. Very much a blame environment. Never believe anything management promises you unless it is in writing.

Be more transparent. People come to work at a startup understanding that there are risks. Be more forthcoming with all the nitty gritty details from finances to personnel moves. Trust that people will make the right decision to stay or leave regardless of the tone of the news.

Be more nimble. It has always bothered me that Baynote is 50 people, but moves like IBM. Other startups run rings around us by removing unnecessary process and red tape. Drop the lease, the bureaucracy, and hyper security. Move to a shared space and work like new graduates wanting to change the world.

Be people first. From some of the more frustrating hiring decisions that have been made, to managers that marginalize people because you're not a "morning person", acting like Oscar the Grouch, or micro managing into oblivion; all make for a terrible work environment. If you hired them, trust them, teach them and empower them to succeed.

Great people, poor management

I have been working at Baynote full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has great people and a great culture. Very well balanced work & personal life, very much ok about working from home from time to time.

Cons

Poor management, CEO spreads himself thin by being involved in every department, and surrounds himself with "Yes Men". Company employs 13 director and above leadership for a company of <50 employees. Sales team is weak, not held accountable for not hitting quota, current sales "Leader" is inexperienced.

Advice to Board of Directors, get a new management team, one that actually runs their own department, rather than letting their department be dictated by CEO. Like myself, a lot of employees are already looking elsewhere.

Solid small-medium technology company

I have been working at Baynote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great match for you if you're looking for a small-medium (75-150 employee) company with a solid revenue stream and a steady product market. It doesn't have the explosive potential of an early stage startup or the rock solid stability of a Google, but it doesn't demand extraordinary hours and every single employee's work has company-wide visible impact.

Cons

The company is heavily VC-backed and so expect to hear a lot of hyperbole about reaching new billion dollar markets. The gap between the grand dream and the day-to-day can be disconcerting because it's hard to tell at any given point whether or not upper management's expectations are tracking reality or if they're just drinking their own kool aid. Either way, based on what I'm seeing at company-level briefings, there is solid evidence that we are making steady, demonstrable progress in the general strategic direction. Personally, that's good enough for me.

Every competitive weakness of the company can eventually be traced back to a weakness in the product (major or minor). Focus on how to find and address the root causes and the company will have a solid future.

No point working here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Baynote full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people. Great culture.

Cons

Terrible management. Pay is really bad.

Glad Im Gone

I worked at Baynote full-time

Pros

Coworkers are good and smart, work hard.

Cons

Management is pretty bad. Couple friends are thinking about quitting already. Office is not normal. Furniture is broken up. A lot of layoffs. Seems like layoffs ever couple months.

Basically I think you can get rid of managers that dont do anything but go to meetings.

Fantastic company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Baynote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people-no really, I mean it. Great executive team. Fun social events. On-site (nice) gym with showers. Technology is very cool..customers actually $ee the uplift in sales. Open and collaborative atmosphere-- a start-up feel with just the right amount of processes and procedures.

Cons

Office location was too far away from my home.

Keep up the transparency..the employees feel valued and informed. Employees like the Brown bag lunches with the executives, they should be offered a few times a month.

People Who Care

I have been working at Baynote full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I’ve been at Baynote for a little while now and I can assure you that the slightly negative reviews do NOT reflect the culture here. From day 1, I have always felt included, respected and encouraged to succeed both at Baynote, and in my career. Every view of an employee will be different –that’s what makes websites like this one successful, no?—and of course views will vary based on personal experiences, skillset, goals, professional growth and interactions.

Those who came from (MUCH) larger companies that work here realize and appreciate the level of work-life balance. But let’s not be unclear in the motivation Baynote has to be a leader and accountability is KEY here.

Negativity and complainers have no real place in this company. Nor do those who take the passive-aggressive route to change. If you’re unhappy in your current role, do something about it, whether it's improving you outlook or moving on. Not only are you poisoning your own job and career but you’re poisoning the people around you.

For those of you considering working here, I can guarantee you’ll love it. The vibe is welcoming, friendly, and the level of office politics is extremely low. I actually like coming to work every day and not many other start up employees in Silicon Valley can say that.

Cons

Urg, too many cookies in the break room!

Keep up the all hands format with info from each team.

To readers of '“Great managers, employees just okay”'

I worked at Baynote full-time

Pros

I suspect a manager wrote this review to "protect" himself/herself. Hopefully it will be removed soon because nothing positive comes from it. It is certainly of no use current employees and is nothing but a black eye to the company.

If you have something to say, why don't you go to the VPs or CEO to discuss it? They all have open door policies and have been straight forward. It sounds like you are upset because you did not get your way somewhere along the line, but posting your complaints here is not professional.

Posting here and pretending it's from someone else to build a case for what you want does not fool anybody. Do you really think execs will read comments here and believe them? Hopefully they will compare the IP address used for that post against company network logs to identify you.

Cons

here are five words there