Baynote
www.baynote.com San Jose, CA

Baynote Reviews

Bill Hustad

Solid small-medium technology company

ProsThis is a great match for you if you're looking for a small-medium (75-150 employee) company with a solid revenue stream and a steady product market. It doesn't have the explosive potential of an early stage startup or the rock solid stability of a Google, but it doesn't demand extraordinary hours and every single employee's work has company-wide visible impact.

ConsThe company is heavily VC-backed and so expect to hear a lot of hyperbole about reaching new billion dollar markets. The gap between the grand dream and the day-to-day can be disconcerting because it's hard to tell at any given point whether or not upper management's expectations are tracking reality or if they're just drinking their own kool aid. Either way, based on what I'm seeing at company-level briefings, there is solid evidence that we are making steady, demonstrable progress in the general strategic direction. Personally, that's good enough for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery competitive weakness of the company can eventually be traced back to a weakness in the product (major or minor). Focus on how to find and address the root causes and the company will have a solid future.

No point working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsVery smart people. Great culture.

ConsTerrible management. Pay is really bad.

Glad Im Gone

(Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsCoworkers are good and smart, work hard.

ConsManagement is pretty bad. Couple friends are thinking about quitting already. Office is not normal. Furniture is broken up. A lot of layoffs. Seems like layoffs ever couple months.

Advice to Senior ManagementBasically I think you can get rid of managers that dont do anything but go to meetings.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsSmart people-no really, I mean it. Great executive team. Fun social events. On-site (nice) gym with showers. Technology is very cool..customers actually $ee the uplift in sales. Open and collaborative atmosphere-- a start-up feel with just the right amount of processes and procedures.

ConsOffice location was too far away from my home.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the transparency..the employees feel valued and informed. Employees like the Brown bag lunches with the executives, they should be offered a few times a month.

People Who Care

ProsI’ve been at Baynote for a little while now and I can assure you that the slightly negative reviews do NOT reflect the culture here. From day 1, I have always felt included, respected and encouraged to succeed both at Baynote, and in my career. Every view of an employee will be different –that’s what makes websites like this one successful, no?—and of course views will vary based on personal experiences, skillset, goals, professional growth and interactions.

Those who came from (MUCH) larger companies that work here realize and appreciate the level of work-life balance. But let’s not be unclear in the motivation Baynote has to be a leader and accountability is KEY here.

Negativity and complainers have no real place in this company. Nor do those who take the passive-aggressive route to change. If you’re unhappy in your current role, do something about it, whether it's improving you outlook or moving on. Not only are you poisoning your own job and career but you’re poisoning the people around you.

For those of you considering working here, I can guarantee you’ll love it. The vibe is welcoming, friendly, and the level of office politics is extremely low. I actually like coming to work every day and not many other start up employees in Silicon Valley can say that.

ConsUrg, too many cookies in the break room!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the all hands format with info from each team.

To readers of '“Great managers, employees just okay”'

(Former Employee)

ProsI suspect a manager wrote this review to "protect" himself/herself. Hopefully it will be removed soon because nothing positive comes from it. It is certainly of no use current employees and is nothing but a black eye to the company.

If you have something to say, why don't you go to the VPs or CEO to discuss it? They all have open door policies and have been straight forward. It sounds like you are upset because you did not get your way somewhere along the line, but posting your complaints here is not professional.

Posting here and pretending it's from someone else to build a case for what you want does not fool anybody. Do you really think execs will read comments here and believe them? Hopefully they will compare the IP address used for that post against company network logs to identify you.

Conshere are five words there

More opportunity needed

Employee (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

ProsPay is higher than average.

ConsRecent reviews rated people very low even for outstanding performers and raises were smaller than previous years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive managers more power over their teams. Decrease pay for bad performers and increase it for good ones.

Great managers, employees just okay

ProsLean company that knows what it wants to do. Good benefits.

ConsManagers should be allowed to fire one employee per quarter no questions asked. Too hard to get rid of people now because it requires approval. Good change to lower bonuses for employees but does not go far enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people run their teams and do not micromanage. Will upgrade review if things change.

Highly Intelligent and Friendly Group

San Jose, CA

ProsWokring at Baynote has been one of the best experiences in my professional career. The caliber of the employees is impressive. I get to work with some of the brightest people in the Valley who have a unique combination of great intelligence and friendliness that you just don't see every day in the Software Industry. Everyone is very approachable from the Admins to the CEO. I've definitely found a second home here and would recommend friends/colleagues here in a heartbeat.

ConsNone- I mean it's still a job, of course I'd rather be outside : )

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the open communication. Really feel like a part of what's happening.

Beware of any company with high turnover and noticeable dysfunctional

San Jose, CA

ProsOverall your coworkers in every department are the only reason to stay at Baynote. A couple managers are fantastic and their teams are loyal to them and those managers protect their teams from the negativity.

ConsLots of finger pointing, no communication or unity, management trash talks everyone, engineering team is understaffed, high turnover, more VPs or C level managers than staff who don't even know employees names. Demoralizing atmosphere is the hardest to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees and stop hiring executives who treat everyone on the second floor as a second class citizen.

Worked for Baynote? Contribute to the Community!

Baynote – Why Work for Us?

Baynote is proud to be affiliated with some of the world's most recognized brands ​​(such as AT&T, Urban Decay, 3M, Hayneedle, Uncommon Good, J Crew, etc.). Our customers depend on the Baynote Customer Experience Layer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baynote reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baynote CEO Bill Hustad. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Baynote employees.