Baystate Financial Services

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Porter

Learning daily, interacting with knowledgeable, industry-experienced pros, and great opportunity

Financial Advisor/Registered Representative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBaystate has a great reputation, has great resources available for individuals, families, and small-business owners, and allows producers to grow their own business in a number of different ways.

ConsHave to be disciplined to be accountable, full-time, to yourself - not a "con" to everybody, but it is to some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be great to incorporate a "junior advisor" program to grow some segments of the business, since Baystate has world-class senior advisors who could help the newer folks through experience and example, and also share in some of the profits as well; spread the orphan accounts out to more advisors and help them grow their own businesses with "small wins" to help build their practices

Baystate Financial Services Intern

Investments Intern (Former Employee) Wakefield, MA

ProsEmployees are very willing to help, easy to approach, very professional but not up tight

ConsYou have to be outgoing in order to achieve and learn new things

Fantastic place to work. 46 years old and bar none, best place I ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCollaborative, fun, great leadership. I ran into financial trouble and the Managing Partner, Dave Porter, got me through a difficult time.

ConsBe ready to work. It is a busy, productive environment and you need to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Dave Porter is a great leader.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company first employees last

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosnone this was the worst working experience I've had

ConsThis company thinks of profits first, pays employees poorly, expects their employees to put work before family (even after hours)

Entry level

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt was a great environment, cool people, constantly had work to do, everyone is very friendly and willing to help

ConsThe pay could have been better, otherwise I really enjoyed my time here and would recommend it

Bad business model in every way

Registered Representative (Former Employee)

ProsYou are encouraged to learn a lot.

ConsDaily Email full of insurance and annuity companies that are pushing horrible products because metlife sells your name to marketing companies. Costs about $15,000 to work there as they profit on every piece of paper you use. Zero financial planning. Emphasis is on rolling over existing, high value products to new, low value products to generate commission... and of course, whole life is the solution to everything.

Advice to Senior ManagementCall yourself a life insurance company.

very professional, mgmt truly cares about advisors and staff

Financial Adviser (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosfirst class, really care. Voted best place to work many times by Boston Globe because they truly know how to treat people.

ConsThe business is very difficult for new people and it wasn't for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating people the way you do

Poor

Client Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou are certainly your own business owner and can sell anything you want within reason.

ConsYou pay for your own expense for everything including copies and desk phone.

Great

Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsInteresting work. Good balance, great training

ConsQuiet office somedays when no one is around

Looking for people who already are up and running

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) East Providence, RI

Pros-if you are an experienced agent you will be well respected and more than happy....
    -great support team

Cons-poor training program
    -poor management in some locations
    -negative motivation tactic and lack of respect for employees
    -expected to pay for everything, the company pays you commissions if you produce and will deduct anything that they can think of from your pay

Advice to Senior Managementthere is basically no human resources department, if an employee has a problem there is nowhere to turn for help.

Worked for Baystate Financial Services? Contribute to the Community!