www.baystatehealth.com

Updated September 18, 2014
3.4

Baystate Health President and CEO Mark R. Tolosky
Mark R. Tolosky

Great place to train and work with a lot of support and dedicated people

I have been working at Baystate Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teaching culture. Residents overall appear happy with the teaching although it may vary from department to department . Nonetheless, there is a commitment to teach and support residents.

Cons

Limited number of access to procedures. A lot of the times the procedures are done my radiology or in the ED and not available to the residents.

Good starting point

Former Employee - Manager in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Springfield, MA

I worked at Baystate Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, salary and training opportunities.

Cons

I worked my way up the ranks in one of their community hospitals while employed for over 20 years. I was trained in their leadership programs. Out of the blue BH eliminated my job. They offered me a position that paid $20,000 less than what I was making. All the dollars they invested in me and they couldn't even assist me in finding a comparable paying position. They filled openings for comparable jobs 2 weeks before I was laid off. They should have held those jobs, if they knew they were going to eliminate my position. Senior Management is very disappointing. As they climb the ladder they forget about the little people. Much bureaucracy within those walls. The Senior Vice President and Vice President (whom I worked for over 10 years) did not reach out to me to say sorry and what can we do to assist you in getting a job. My current boss, of one and a half years, made no effort to assist. She was too busy brown nosing senior leadership. I would recommend someone new in their career to work for BH but don't stay too long, as they don't take care of their long-term, loyal employees.

Start walking the talk. You have spent lots of dollars for the Gallup Engagement Survey so why don't you start listening to the results? Hold senior leaders accountable for their results. Replace them if they are not achieving their engagement goals. Listen to the front line staff who make you look so good. Get rid of leaders who bully their employees and lead by fear. You have one up and coming leader who does just that but is able to fool management into thinking they are the future. Don't turn away from it.

very hard to move up in recent years

Current Employee - Custodian in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Custodian in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay for food and env services employees compared to retail and fast food, park in secured lot, fair break times, tuition reimbursement options, easy to get time off when earned, great differential pay possibilities

Cons

hard to move up or out of a dept, esp if hired on the 'bottom level' as a food service employee or custodian; lack of communication everywhere, nurses ruling the place

I can empathize with hiring outside to encourage diversity and bring new employees in, but it is done at a cost to the current employees who aren't considered numerous times. Env Svcs management on 2nd shift is strange-- nobody knows who to talk to about certain issues or can differ who is a supervisor vs manager vs lead anymore. They also need to weed out the slackers who give the entire dept on all shifts a bad rap.

If I had a degree life would be much easier here, I have no doubt I would love my job if that was the case.

Mental Health Counselor

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health part-time

Pros

Organized, team work, good benefits

Cons

no a lot of room for growth

Instead of hiring from the outside, look inside of your employees.

Used to be a great place to work

Current Employee - Information in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Information in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paying higher insurance premiums, deductibles, co-pays than the patients that we take care of. Baystate Health USED to have three separate companies to purchase health insurance from, and they were all affordable, now we only have Health New England for a choice, and, Baystate Health is 95% owner of the Insurance company.... How does that work? I get paid to pay back my employer for health care.

Having your employer sell your 403B retirement business(choices used to be ING, Lincoln Life, and Fidelity) to Mass Mutual because that company "donated $5Mil towards the monstrosity of the future called the "Mass Mutual Wing"

Cons

If you enjoy being a cog in a giant machine that plays favorites, this IS the place for you. If you enjoy watching Senior leadership receive awards such as buildings being named after the CEO that couldn't find a way to avoid 193 families from loosing their income (layoff a few years ago, more work, less people, but we have pretty buildings)

You are no better than anyone else. Stop behaving as though Baystate Health funds are your personal playground, and start thinking about ways you can make life a little more comfortable for Baystates employees. Maybe start with providing the employees and their families full coverage with no deductibles and copays. DIVERSITY is only what is recognized, maybe recognize "non-traditional" families, such as committed partners that choose to not become married, but, are a family none the less.

Good institution with potential for greatness.

Former Employee - Medical Secretary in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Secretary in Springfield, MA

I worked at Baystate Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full service organization can and does reach a large demographic area, providing much needed basic and specialty services.

Cons

Hard to move up in the organization, resources including people are not used to their best potential - seems more hiring is done from outside the organization than movement from within, management out of touch with employees.

Take on fewer projects outside of your department that make you unavailable to your employees for long periods of time. Cross train all employees, explore employees' talents and try to incorporate into their jobs to improve department performance.

Easy to get lost in the crowd

I have been working at Baystate Health

Pros

Great hospital, amazing doctors and access to the latest technology and care

Cons

, upper management has very little respect for employees. You will receive decent pay, crappy benefits, as will be nothing more than a number

Start considering your employees. No matter how "small" they are

It was amazing!

Former Employee - Radiology Technologist in Ware, MA
    Former Employee - Radiology Technologist in Ware, MA

I worked at Baystate Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A small community hospital with abilities to train in different modalities. People are helpful and friendly. Great pay, easy to get time off.

Cons

I didn't really have any down sides. Very good experience!!

Listen to your employees

Best healthcare

I have been working at Baystate Health

Pros

Excellent system with many dedicated staff, great benefits, commitment to community and patients.

Cons

Large organization, want to be the best.

Keep focus on diversity

Employees are just numbers

Former Employee - Patient Transport
    Former Employee - Patient Transport

I worked at Baystate Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair with break times and discount for employees in cafeteria

Cons

Really take advantage of employees and the fact that everyone is looking for a job right now. There is a constant threat of being written up for things. I had been injured while working and they did everything to try to not take care things, including making false statements. In the end my lawyer proved everything, and it probably cost them triple and they have to take care of me now for life. :)

Treat your employees like people, not numbers. Especially when there have been no issues with the employees performance.

Baystate Health Photos