Baystate Health

www.baystatehealth.com

Baystate Health Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014
Baystate Health – Springfield – “Baystate Health”

Baystate Health – Springfield – “Baystate Health”

Baystate Health President and CEO Mark R. Tolosky

Mark R. Tolosky

Mental Health Counselor

Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsOrganized, team work, good benefits

Consno a lot of room for growth

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring from the outside, look inside of your employees.

very hard to move up in recent years

Custodian (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

Prosdecent pay for food and env services employees compared to retail and fast food, park in secured lot, fair break times, tuition reimbursement options, easy to get time off when earned, great differential pay possibilities

Conshard to move up or out of a dept, esp if hired on the 'bottom level' as a food service employee or custodian; lack of communication everywhere, nurses ruling the place

Advice to Senior ManagementI can empathize with hiring outside to encourage diversity and bring new employees in, but it is done at a cost to the current employees who aren't considered numerous times. Env Svcs management on 2nd shift is strange-- nobody knows who to talk to about certain issues or can differ who is a supervisor vs manager vs lead anymore. They also need to weed out the slackers who give the entire dept on all shifts a bad rap.

If I had a degree life would be much easier here, I have no doubt I would love my job if that was the case.

Used to be a great place to work

Information (Current Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsPaying higher insurance premiums, deductibles, co-pays than the patients that we take care of. Baystate Health USED to have three separate companies to purchase health insurance from, and they were all affordable, now we only have Health New England for a choice, and, Baystate Health is 95% owner of the Insurance company.... How does that work? I get paid to pay back my employer for health care.

Having your employer sell your 403B retirement business(choices used to be ING, Lincoln Life, and Fidelity) to Mass Mutual because that company "donated $5Mil towards the monstrosity of the future called the "Mass Mutual Wing"

ConsIf you enjoy being a cog in a giant machine that plays favorites, this IS the place for you. If you enjoy watching Senior leadership receive awards such as buildings being named after the CEO that couldn't find a way to avoid 193 families from loosing their income (layoff a few years ago, more work, less people, but we have pretty buildings)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are no better than anyone else. Stop behaving as though Baystate Health funds are your personal playground, and start thinking about ways you can make life a little more comfortable for Baystates employees. Maybe start with providing the employees and their families full coverage with no deductibles and copays. DIVERSITY is only what is recognized, maybe recognize "non-traditional" families, such as committed partners that choose to not become married, but, are a family none the less.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good institution with potential for greatness.

Medical Secretary (Former Employee) Springfield, MA

ProsFull service organization can and does reach a large demographic area, providing much needed basic and specialty services.

ConsHard to move up in the organization, resources including people are not used to their best potential - seems more hiring is done from outside the organization than movement from within, management out of touch with employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake on fewer projects outside of your department that make you unavailable to your employees for long periods of time. Cross train all employees, explore employees' talents and try to incorporate into their jobs to improve department performance.

Easy to get lost in the crowd

ProsGreat hospital, amazing doctors and access to the latest technology and care

Cons, upper management has very little respect for employees. You will receive decent pay, crappy benefits, as will be nothing more than a number

Advice to Senior ManagementStart considering your employees. No matter how "small" they are

It was amazing!

Radiology Technologist (Former Employee) Ware, MA

ProsA small community hospital with abilities to train in different modalities. People are helpful and friendly. Great pay, easy to get time off.

ConsI didn't really have any down sides. Very good experience!!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Best healthcare

ProsExcellent system with many dedicated staff, great benefits, commitment to community and patients.

ConsLarge organization, want to be the best.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focus on diversity

Good job opportunities

ProsStrong cultural values are obvious throughout the system. They utilize patient-cetnered care models. Baystate health is a pioneer, leading the region in healthcare, they have a strong market hold and will be in business for many years to came. Fantastic benefits.

ConsLong hours and low salary.

Employees are just numbers

Patient Transport (Former Employee)

ProsFair with break times and discount for employees in cafeteria

ConsReally take advantage of employees and the fact that everyone is looking for a job right now. There is a constant threat of being written up for things. I had been injured while working and they did everything to try to not take care things, including making false statements. In the end my lawyer proved everything, and it probably cost them triple and they have to take care of me now for life. :)

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people, not numbers. Especially when there have been no issues with the employees performance.

very good.

Prosit is a good, clean facility

Consthere are no cons I can think of

Worked for Baystate Health? Contribute to the Community!