www.baystatehealth.com

Updated December 12, 2014
3.6

Baystate Health President and CEO Mark R. Tolosky
Mark R. Tolosky

Healthcare system with a good reputation

Former Employee - PSC Phlebotomist in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - PSC Phlebotomist in Holyoke, MA

I worked at Baystate Health part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are eligible for benefits with only 16 hours per week. Student schedules are accommodated.

Cons

The supervisors are overworked and there is therefore a high turnover of supervisors. Additionally, the supervisors do not seem to know about the quality of their workers. Poor employees are not fired, becoming burdens to their co-workers, and at least one was even promoted. Conversely, good workers have been fired for minor errors.

I love my job ! There is plenty of opportunity for career and educational advancement.

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Palmer, MA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Palmer, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is great to be part of a team that promotes patient safety and satisfaction. Baystate health continues to grow and offer the most advance health care in the area.

Cons

My position is considered full time however it is not a 40 hour work week.

Awesome

Current Employee - Assistant in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Awesomeness,office hours, nice ,beutiful new building with magical lihting .
    Great mature,proffesional,resourceful, co workers and leaders.

Cons

None yet.
    Atm,cafe in new bldg?

Process Improvement at Baystate - Great experience

Former Employee - Process Improvement in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Process Improvement in Springfield, MA

I worked at Baystate Health as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

* Great exposure to the entire organization
    * Interesting projects
    * Close group, good support
    * Good pay

Cons

* Scope of work sometimes changes often

Have more remote video team meetings

Great bunch of people...

Former Employee - IT PM in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - IT PM in Springfield, MA

I worked at Baystate Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Well funded for a non-profit. Avg. age of IT staff is around 50 so you're not dealing with a ton of Millennials :-). Technology is current and they're looking toward the future. You won't be bored. Work/Life balance is great too.

Cons

Typical IT Dept. stuff. A few Asperger's candidates and a couple sociopaths in the mix. No major flaws. As I've found with most New England IT shops, Sr. Leaders spend most of their time managing up and the troops feel a bit neglected.

Focus more on blocking and tackling. Flashy technology initiatives are awesome but if your staff feels like a tech commodity you'll never realize those lofty goals. Multiple management positions left vacant for a year at a time is not one of the ingredients in the recipe for success.

Ste processing technician

Former Employee - Sterile Processing Tech in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Sterile Processing Tech in Springfield, MA

I worked at Baystate Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Willing to provide training at 40 hours per week for 3 months.
    Large company with good benefits if you can land a full time job.
    Extremely busy fast pasted environment if you like time going by quickly this is the place to be.

Cons

Difficult to land a full time job.
    Many departments have clicks and they will back stab you in a second.
    Managers tend to rely on these back stabbers to inform them of any little thing they see you do that they don't like.
    These employees do this for their own benefit to keep their job secure with the manager, they will even stab each other in the back from time to time.

Treat all your employees fairly, even the ones that stand up to you, don't be such control freaks.

Good work Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Springfield, MA

I worked at Baystate Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits including health insurance, time off, and salary

Cons

inept leadership, office politics, too many meetings

practice what you preach

Good starting point

Former Employee - Manager in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Springfield, MA

I worked at Baystate Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, salary and training opportunities.

Cons

I worked my way up the ranks in one of their community hospitals while employed for over 20 years. I was trained in their leadership programs. Out of the blue BH eliminated my job. They offered me a position that paid $20,000 less than what I was making. All the dollars they invested in me and they couldn't even assist me in finding a comparable paying position. They filled openings for comparable jobs 2 weeks before I was laid off. They should have held those jobs, if they knew they were going to eliminate my position. Senior Management is very disappointing. As they climb the ladder they forget about the little people. Much bureaucracy within those walls. The Senior Vice President and Vice President (whom I worked for over 10 years) did not reach out to me to say sorry and what can we do to assist you in getting a job. My current boss, of one and a half years, made no effort to assist. She was too busy brown nosing senior leadership. I would recommend someone new in their career to work for BH but don't stay too long, as they don't take care of their long-term, loyal employees.

Start walking the talk. You have spent lots of dollars for the Gallup Engagement Survey so why don't you start listening to the results? Hold senior leaders accountable for their results. Replace them if they are not achieving their engagement goals. Listen to the front line staff who make you look so good. Get rid of leaders who bully their employees and lead by fear. You have one up and coming leader who does just that but is able to fool management into thinking they are the future. Don't turn away from it.

Great place to train and work with a lot of support and dedicated people

I have been working at Baystate Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great teaching culture. Residents overall appear happy with the teaching although it may vary from department to department . Nonetheless, there is a commitment to teach and support residents.

Cons

Limited number of access to procedures. A lot of the times the procedures are done my radiology or in the ED and not available to the residents.

very hard to move up in recent years

Current Employee - Custodian in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Custodian in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Baystate Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay for food and env services employees compared to retail and fast food, park in secured lot, fair break times, tuition reimbursement options, easy to get time off when earned, great differential pay possibilities

Cons

hard to move up or out of a dept, esp if hired on the 'bottom level' as a food service employee or custodian; lack of communication everywhere, nurses ruling the place

I can empathize with hiring outside to encourage diversity and bring new employees in, but it is done at a cost to the current employees who aren't considered numerous times. Env Svcs management on 2nd shift is strange-- nobody knows who to talk to about certain issues or can differ who is a supervisor vs manager vs lead anymore. They also need to weed out the slackers who give the entire dept on all shifts a bad rap.

If I had a degree life would be much easier here, I have no doubt I would love my job if that was the case.

Baystate Health Photos