Bazaarvoice Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated October 16, 2014
3.5

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Pros
  • I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good (in 9 reviews)

• Unlimited" vacation policy (however you realize why when you quit (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

87 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Director/Market Dev in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director/Market Dev in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart, creative, and fun people. Good opportunities for growth.

Cons

Fairly inexperienced senior leadership team

maybe give new leadership some management courses. Many of them just don't have enough experience to effectively manage diverse groups.

New Leadership has brought focus and clear direction

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to expand the scope of your professional experience, work with sharp, motivated people and develop your career is broad. The new senior leadership team is experienced, open in their communication and clear in the short term goals that BV as a company needs to align around.

I was ready to leave BV a year ago, at a time of much upheaval, stress and uncertainty, but now am glad I waited to assess the new leadership. The work is challenging, but the team pulls together, is respectful and has fun on the way.

Cons

If you are not OK with regular change and a fast paced environment then this is not for you. It's never boring.
    There are still pockets within the company where the work is managed by smart people without the specific experience needed to help move BV toward best practices or ineffective managers.

The development and communication of long term plans will be key to employee commitment.
    There are a couple of senior leaders who are not effective - addressing them would help issues of morale that exist in certain departments.

Internship

Former Employee - Data Analyst Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome work environment, work-life balance, leadership, management

Cons

personal growth, still some issues transitioning from a start up to a large company

It's great in theory, but stay away from Accounting/Finance

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Food
    Compensation
    Flexibility to work from home

Cons

This is only for the Finance department (from what I understand every other department but this one is great to work for). Leadership is seriously micromanaging everyone. There is one manager in particular who is rude and condescending. I had people ask me to recommend them for working here and I refused. They talk big and bad about a culture that DOES not exist here anymore. Oh and just try to take a vacation. They say it's unlimited vacation, but that is a crock. You have to have it approved beforehand and then even when you do have it approved it's subject to be taken away. Stay away from this department.

Pay attention to the employees. Most people will NOT speak up due to being in fear for their jobs. It is not a good environment.

Best internship experience. Got to start a brand new project that got deployed, and is in use after just 2 months

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The great things in priority order are the people, the work, the technology, and being able to work remotely even as an intern.
    I learned so much, and the people on my team are really smart and patient.
    The on-boarding process was excellent. We were productive in the 1st of the week of the internship.
    The perks here are amazing: lots of free food, a couple sponsored intern events, and company-wide event/party called All-Hands.

Cons

The only thing that I feel I wanted more of was code reviews.

Yall are awesome.

Stay away from the Finance/Accounting Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall the company has great culture and hires talented, smart employees. Most employees genuinely seem to enjoy coming to work every day. Benefits are great - free food, unlimited vacation, team offsite events, and wellness plans, etc. The company hosts a fun and inviting on-boarding for new hires and most are encouraged to follow their career paths within the company.

Cons

However the finance/accounting department does not align itself with the rest of the company and has incompetent leaders. Employees of the department are belittled and heavily micromanaged due to the insecurity of senior management. The CFO is blinded by his staff as to what is going on in the department. You are encouraged to make changes and improve processes, but when you do your ideas are immediately shut down or you are asked to prove your point in so many different ways until you finally get frustrated and give up. The amount of unproductive meetings and constant fire drills is ridiculous. The workload is very poorly distributed and unmanageable. The moral of the department is horrible and most of the great employees leave within a year or so.

The finance/accounting department needs to be completely restructured with new leadership. Acknowledge the low morale and constant turnover in the finance department. Stop putting 'band-aids' on every single issue and redefining it over and over again - fix the root cause of the problem.

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Content Moderator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Moderator in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They give you the opportunity to work from home. Great parties where you meet everybody. Relaxed and very fun company. They are the very best at what they do.

Cons

Sometimes the schedule can be a little tough. Week ends, very early in the morning and holidays. No benefits if you work part time from home.

Keep up the great work you are doing.

Awful Accounting and Finance Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company has a good basis for its culture and there are a lot of perks such as a good base salary, bonus, tons of free snacks, happy hours, excess food all the time, etc... Also, vacation time is "unlimited" but be wary of this as it depends on your manager which vary greatly across department and function. It can be a lot of fun it seems if you are working in certain departments but that's where the "pro's" cease to exist.

Cons

I am speaking only for the accounting department b/c it would seem that other areas of the company may actually be ok places to work-aka professional, fun, good work/life balance, promotion opps, etc... The management in Finance is terrible with the exception of maybe 2 people who aren't running the show so to speak. Those who are "running the show" belittle employees and ask them to do the impossible quite often including certain tasks that may question your ethical values. Time off is always granted with a caveat if it is even approved and there is one manager in particular who is particularly rude and condescending to everyone yet nobody does anything about it despite it being very obvious. Certain people work incredibly hard and others do little to nothing and make much more $$$ to boot-this is easy to figure out when the payroll files are unlocked. They will taunt you with a high salary and high promise but trust me, this is not the accounting department for you if you are expecting any form of professionalism. Highly unrecommended.

Get rid of the bad managers and hire some people who have the company's values in mind. Just because they have the right experience doesn't mean they are good people managers and this is almost more important in my opinion. Listen to the complaints being brought up and take action! People are very unhappy and you just assume they will stay out of necessity but after enough, they will finally go like the rest. Wake up

Amazing place to work.

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart hard working people. Lots of challenges, culture, and benefits.

Cons

Takes a long time to move up and be rewarded for great work.

Great people, but chaotic

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers there were great, as was mid-management. There is a strong can-do spirit. The hours were flexible.

Cons

The job was only minimally technical, despite having "engineer" in the job title. With the new CEO, paperwork was on the rise, and much of it seemed unnecessary.

Make sure that the task you are giving your workers are actually benefiting the company.