Bazaarvoice

Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin

Gene Austin

Pros:
  • "lenient vacation policy and office hours"
    in 17 reviews
  • "I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The culture and the work life balance remains very good"
    in 10 reviews
  • "It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

High C-Suite Ideals, Destructive Management Churn

Bazaarvoice Content Analyst (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsInterview, training, rep support and feedback are all exemplary, the work is fun, and changes in policy and client-specific details are always easy to understand. Upper management are visionaries, very inspiring and admirable.

ConsSenior leadership has very optimistic goals and ideals, common to most startups. The ambitions are lofty and the processes are well thought-out. However, high turnover means that middle-management always ends up with something to prove, which can be a disaster unless the personality is a good fit. Hiring practices in the management stratum seem to fall short of both leadership ideals and CSR needs, as they are based on different criteria than those that would support what the company claims to want.

Advice to Senior ManagementZero in on confirming that management is in line with professed culture and values. Those things can fall by the wayside in the nitty-gritty of the everyday, overlooked for basic management and Peter Principle reasons, and soon you've lost all contact with the reason you loved the company in the first place. It's not enough to talk the talk, when the people you hire to steward your workforce don't know how to walk the walk.

I've never been more engaged at a company and had more fun. Lots of really smart, fun loving, unique individuals.

Austin, TX

ProsWe have the right leadership team in place to significantly move the needle for the company. We are growing and becoming more global by the day while keeping authentic & unique in our culture. i.e. we have our own company band, our own BV film festival, our own BV art show, and the company takes Corporate Social Responsibility very seriously. Mix in incredible people, and it makes working at BV a lot of fun.

ConsIt's to be expected with a company at our stage in the lifecycle, but we have to accelerate our thinking around scalability.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince Gene has taken the CEO job, I sincerely feel Mgmt is listening to employees and listening to customers. Let's keep headed forwarded!

Great people to work with

Austin, TX

ProsThe people and the culture are amazing. People are interested in other peoples projects and ideas are exchanged freely. There are lots of happy hours and and meetings that wrap up with social events.

ConsThere can be some confusion in what's going on in various departments and who has the authority to do what. Things get done but it can be a bit chaotic and not always the most efficient.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

ProsLaid back, friendly people, not very stressful

Consnot clear cut career advancement opportunities

Advice to Senior Managementnone

content analyst

Content Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home
    flexible hours
    Good vacation policy but not a good as it was.

Conscharacter count continues to go up with no increases in rates of pay in over 5 years
    Complex guidelines with very narrow definitions which are mostly written by American writers, which leads to conflicts in comprehension by foreign moderators.
    Very tedious
    No real advancement for anyone looking for an alternate career within the company
    Lack of communication from management in the past year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay and stop increasing the character count.

Decent

ProsWhen I was there it was about a year before it went public and still had the personal, "small"-er company feel. It was fun and progressive.

ConsAs it grew, everyone got caught up in the glamour of tech, went public and the culture basically died. Now it's just a bunch of people passing through to get their resume stamped.

Great company, uncertain future.....

ProsGreat culture and values; smart people; solid mid-sized company; great work/life balance; proud to work at BV!

ConsNot sure of the long term strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a long term compensation plan that is in line with the realities of the business

Clueless Management

(Current Employee)

ProsUnlimited vacation.
    Free snacks.
    Some great people.

ConsThe company's goals and directions change month to month.
    The Sales Dept is full of the dumbest people at the company but they steer the ship.
    Employees are undervalued and unappreciated.
    Upper management frequently join the company, make some bold statements and plans, and leave halfway through.
    Middle management is a perfect example of the Dilbert Principle.
    Much of the company has a good ole boys mentality.
    Crude, offensive, sexist, racist behavior can be experienced any day of the week, generally more often than once per day.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some balls, choose a course of action and stay with it. If you're not smart enough to figure out a course of action, fire yourself and find someone that is.

No clear strategy, don't know where they are going

ProsVacation policy
    smart co-workers
    possibility of advancement ( but too many directors and too few people doing the actual work)

Conslack of strategy
    frat boy culture sometimes

Good place to work

ProsCompany has direct impact on ecommerce.

ConsThe pending DOJ case, but that is hopefully getting resolved.

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!

Bazaarvoice Videos

Bazaarvoice – Why Work for Us?

Bazaarvoice is based on a simple truth; when people talk to each other, people buy stuff they are happy about because they trust the opinions of others. We see a day when all voices are connected and, together, help the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bazaarvoice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bazaarvoice CEO Gene Austin. All 151 reviews posted anonymously by Bazaarvoice employees.