Bazaarvoice

Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin

Gene Austin

Pros:
  • "lenient vacation policy and office hours"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Great culture and values; smart people; solid mid-sized company; great work/life balance; proud to work at BV"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "The culture and the work life balance remains very good"
    in 10 reviews
  • "It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lots of opportunity

ProsFree food for engineers
No vacation policy
Pay is good once you prove yourself
Tough problems to solve

ConsToo much change in direction
Hard to get more equity in the company
Lots of churn at the top recently

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a plan and stick it out

They own the marketplace

I worked at Bazaarvoice

Prosawesome product, awesome co-workers, cool office, great work-life balance, innovative product offerings

Consa lot of red tape, too many managers per x number of employees

Advice to Senior Managementgive more opportunities to learn/advance for other employees

Great experience, but in the end disappointing

UI Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTalented people, Work/Life balance, Snacks/drink selections

ConsLack of direction, No career paths, Culture & values, Game rooms are aging and falling apart, Too much re-organization and re-seating every 4 months, People are promoted to management positions when they have no experience and/or business being a manager

Not what it once was

Implementation Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Wonderful colleagues
- Great clients
- Environment that fosters innovation
- Leader in the marketplace

Cons- Very high turnover
- Perpetual reorgs
- Unclear direction
- Poor communication
- Unmet sales and product quality expectations

Advice to Senior Management- Pick a direction or strategy and stick to it
- Focus on retaining your current talent.

Beer and lunches are nice, but what employees really crave are opportunities for growth and a perception that they are valued. Over the last year, perhaps due to the complete leadership and development turnover, Bazaarvoice has really lost it's joie de vivre.

Very fun, laid back, and welcoming work environment.

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery smart coworkers. One source stack. We open source as much as possible. Game room, beer, catered lunches, events all the time. Leadership is very open and has regular listening sessions with employees. All managers have open door policies. Top equipment for employees.

ConsI have only been here for a couple of months, but I can't think of many negatives. I guess it is all about what you make of it. Our Austin location out in 360 is an issue for some employees, but not me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Past it's prime and overly political

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWas once a really fun, innovative company with some sincerity about treating employees well and listening.

ConsManagement roles are handed out as 'rites of passage' to individual contributors who have no management skills
Huge suck-up to GM culture in US Brand sales, nepotism is rife.
New GM is bringing in people from his old company into hand-picked territories to make them look like heroes while others who have built the company from nothing are left unrewarded.
Too many customers have been over-sold and under-delivered either in product capability or what to really expect in ROI
Executive turnover has increased a lot, but not before they've tried to blame others in their line for their own failings

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about what once made the company great - it's people - and get rid of the toxic GM's who only care about their own short term ego and vision.
Employee engagement is nose-diving, and yet you think brown-nosing is the answer??

Gone downhill significantly in the last year

ProsVacation policy.
Medical Benefits.
Still some good quality, highly intellectual people working there.

ConsVery difficult to get compensated for work performance, while higher-ups receive frequent raises and bonuses.
Company appears to be flailing.
Gotten rid of a lot of the benefits/perks that made Bazaarvoice a leading employer in Austin - they've cut back significantly on snacks, offer free lunch only available to the engineering team, and management lacks vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementBazaarvoice isn't in the same market it was in three years ago - we're competing with other amazing companies in Austin that offer better salaries and benefits, and significantly higher-quality perks...and many of those companies are headquartered in a more convenient location (downtown).

Not what I expected

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than a year

Pros- Free Snacks
- Great Benefits & Salary
- Smart People
- Great volunteer opportunities

ConsConstant change
Tight resources
Unrealistic expectations
There is a lot of opportunity to grow if management would choose a direction and stick with it.
Poor communication & collaboration between teams. (The left hand often doesn't know what the right is doing.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and fund initiatives with the right resources and don't pull the plug before the project is complete.

Challenging, but very rewarding

Market Developer (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice for less than a year

ProsWorking at Bazaarvoice has been one of the best experiences I've ever had. The people who work here are some of the smartest and most dedicated that I've ever been around. What I like best is how open the people are, and their willingness to help me at the drop of a hat.

Pros:
Amazing People
Great Product
Vacation Policy
Free Snacks

ConsChange is consistent, and BV can definitely be a roller coaster. Each department seems to have a unique culture, and the communication could improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose the culture, and make sure you're following your own advice about authentic conversations.

Great place - with a few issues

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInnovative culture
Smart people
Optimistic atomosphere
It's a great place to work - depending on which team you're on. I feel like can still have a voice and influence change, despite the fact that in its rapid growth, it has lost that start-up feel.

ConsCompany direction unclear
Most of the C-level leadership less than a year in place
Transparency not as apparent as in the past

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on one thing and do it right instead of focusing on 100 things and only doing them so so.

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!

Bazaarvoice Videos

Bazaarvoice – Why Work for Us?

Bazaarvoice is based on a simple truth; when people talk to each other, people buy stuff they are happy about because they trust the opinions of others. We see a day when all voices are connected and, together, help the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bazaarvoice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bazaarvoice CEO Gene Austin. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Bazaarvoice employees.