Bazaarvoice

Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin

Gene Austin

Pros
  • Unlimited" vacation policy (however you realize why when you quit(in 18 reviews)

• I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture and the work life balance remains very good(in 10 reviews)

• It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you(in 6 reviews)

Great experience, but in the end disappointing

UI Designer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsTalented people, Work/Life balance, Snacks/drink selections

ConsLack of direction, No career paths, Culture & values, Game rooms are aging and falling apart, Too much re-organization and re-seating every 4 months, People are promoted to management positions when they have no experience and/or business being a manager

Not what it once was

Implementation Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Wonderful colleagues
    - Great clients
    - Environment that fosters innovation
    - Leader in the marketplace

Cons- Very high turnover
    - Perpetual reorgs
    - Unclear direction
    - Poor communication
    - Unmet sales and product quality expectations

Advice to Senior Management- Pick a direction or strategy and stick to it
    - Focus on retaining your current talent.

Beer and lunches are nice, but what employees really crave are opportunities for growth and a perception that they are valued. Over the last year, perhaps due to the complete leadership and development turnover, Bazaarvoice has really lost it's joie de vivre.

Very fun, laid back, and welcoming work environment.

Software Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery smart coworkers. One source stack. We open source as much as possible. Game room, beer, catered lunches, events all the time. Leadership is very open and has regular listening sessions with employees. All managers have open door policies. Top equipment for employees.

ConsI have only been here for a couple of months, but I can't think of many negatives. I guess it is all about what you make of it. Our Austin location out in 360 is an issue for some employees, but not me.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Past it's prime and overly political

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWas once a really fun, innovative company with some sincerity about treating employees well and listening.

ConsManagement roles are handed out as 'rites of passage' to individual contributors who have no management skills
    Huge suck-up to GM culture in US Brand sales, nepotism is rife.
    New GM is bringing in people from his old company into hand-picked territories to make them look like heroes while others who have built the company from nothing are left unrewarded.
    Too many customers have been over-sold and under-delivered either in product capability or what to really expect in ROI
    Executive turnover has increased a lot, but not before they've tried to blame others in their line for their own failings

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about what once made the company great - it's people - and get rid of the toxic GM's who only care about their own short term ego and vision.
    Employee engagement is nose-diving, and yet you think brown-nosing is the answer??

Gone downhill significantly in the last year

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVacation policy.
    Medical Benefits.
    Still some good quality, highly intellectual people working there.

ConsVery difficult to get compensated for work performance, while higher-ups receive frequent raises and bonuses.
    Company appears to be flailing.
    Gotten rid of a lot of the benefits/perks that made Bazaarvoice a leading employer in Austin - they've cut back significantly on snacks, offer free lunch only available to the engineering team, and management lacks vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementBazaarvoice isn't in the same market it was in three years ago - we're competing with other amazing companies in Austin that offer better salaries and benefits, and significantly higher-quality perks...and many of those companies are headquartered in a more convenient location (downtown).

Not what I expected

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Free Snacks
    - Great Benefits & Salary
    - Smart People
    - Great volunteer opportunities

ConsConstant change
    Tight resources
    Unrealistic expectations
    There is a lot of opportunity to grow if management would choose a direction and stick with it.
    Poor communication & collaboration between teams. (The left hand often doesn't know what the right is doing.)

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a direction and fund initiatives with the right resources and don't pull the plug before the project is complete.

Challenging, but very rewarding

Market Developer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorking at Bazaarvoice has been one of the best experiences I've ever had. The people who work here are some of the smartest and most dedicated that I've ever been around. What I like best is how open the people are, and their willingness to help me at the drop of a hat.

Pros:
    Amazing People
    Great Product
    Vacation Policy
    Free Snacks

ConsChange is consistent, and BV can definitely be a roller coaster. Each department seems to have a unique culture, and the communication could improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose the culture, and make sure you're following your own advice about authentic conversations.

Great place - with a few issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsInnovative culture
    Smart people
    Optimistic atomosphere
    It's a great place to work - depending on which team you're on. I feel like can still have a voice and influence change, despite the fact that in its rapid growth, it has lost that start-up feel.

ConsCompany direction unclear
    Most of the C-level leadership less than a year in place
    Transparency not as apparent as in the past

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on one thing and do it right instead of focusing on 100 things and only doing them so so.

Turning around

Client Services (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFast pace
    Great clients
    Exciting space
    Interesting technology
    Cool vision for the future

ConsConstant change can be exhausting
    Unclear plan for how to achieve that vision
    Deliver on promises

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue changes, but communicate them better and think them through more

Five people hired, Two people fired before one year was over

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe company tries hard to make the place fun to work.
    The benefits are OK.
    Everyone is generally nice

ConsNew York office opened with big hopes which evaporated in months.
    Consultants instead of employees.
    Five people hired, two people fired within one year.

Advice to Senior ManagementI occasionally heard people trying to lower costs by automating things, but most of the company still runs by mechanical turk. Take the time to solve technologically difficult problems.

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!