Bazaarvoice

Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin

Gene Austin

Pros
  • Unlimited" vacation policy (however you realize why when you quit(in 18 reviews)

• I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture and the work life balance remains very good(in 10 reviews)

• It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you(in 6 reviews)

Worst company I've ever worked for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPromise of improved operating procedures for performing task with department.
    Worked from home.

ConsNo standard operating procedures.
    No compassion if you have a family.
    Underutilized & still working out kinks at employees expense.
    Some management and supervisors are in position by default, not because they're qualified.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you can write code or mathematical algorithm doesn't mean you're qualified to lead a team. Pls read Management 101or the like.
    Let go of that ego and maybe see that your subordinates may have a great idea.

Summer Internship that turned into part-time job

ProsThe work atmosphere is very positive and upbeat. Also they are very flexible with schedules.

ConsNot the most stimulating work but it's an internship and is about what I expected

Always changing

Implementation Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThere is a high concentration of people with strong work ethic and incredible talent
    Managers do a very good job of communicating feedback and empowering their employees.
    Our clients are wonderful.

ConsIt's not clear what we'll be doing in 6 months.
    Limited career path.
    Change happens very quickly. It's like the weather in Texas. Though it's frustrating that you may go out on vacation, then come back to find your desk moved to the other side of the building

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency would be nice; better collaboration across teams

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad experience and big letdown after so much hype.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDecent pay.
    Good co-workers, and some are really smart (but sadly their intelligence seems underutilized).
    20% time to try out new things.
    Good vacation policy.
    An okay job for a code monkey (or even management type).

ConsThe engineering work is not all that interesting, but the company acts like it is. They really stress this in recruiting, comparing themselves to Google, etc.
    Poor work life balance.
    Fake culture, and there is a sort of fear in the air that tends to make people keep their mouth shut. Those who do have new ideas are usually ignored because "we gotta make the sprint" on the next boring widget.
    New ideas are generally shot down, and the 20% time really means you work longer. As a result, not many people actually have 20% projects.
    Recruiters talk up how awesome the company and projects are, which only makes the let down that much worse once you get there. It's a fairly typical medium-sized corporation, nothing special.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the cheerleading and all the hype, and most importantly don't lie/exaggerate to new recruits.
    Listen to new ideas. The company is way too sales & marketing driven. Let engineering propose product ideas too; they know what's possible.
    If you want to keep top talent, give them something interesting to do. All these brilliant CMU/Stanford/top-10 CS grads aren't going to stick around just to sling more enterprise java code.
    Consider beefing up a full-fledged R&D department.

Missing the social media boat

Implementation Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSmart, dedicated people
    Vacation policy
    Culture used to be awesome, now nothing special

ConsBV used to be at the forefront of social marketing with reviews, but reviews are no longer a brand engagement channel since Facebook and Twitter have become destinations for brands
    New products are not appealing
    Recent senior management hires are not fueling the future of this company

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to get acquired and move on to your next venture

Good place, lots of changes...

UI Designer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVacation, benefits, free snacks, smart people to work with. Can make some good friends in this company.

ConsHard to get a raise, especially if you're in implementation. TS/DS doesn't get a lot of respect they deserve and need. Can be stressful to separate work and home life. Expect to work weekends.

Company in freefall

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNew pay structure is over-market for Engineers
    Many smart people with whom to work

ConsNew products fail to impress
    Growing discord within R&D
    Poor technical leaders who play the blame game by pointing fingers at the engineers
    Poor follow-through on company wide or intra-departmental initiatives

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the culture that made BV great. The new sweat-shop, blame game culture is pure poison and has many engineers looking for the door.

Generally happy

Implementation Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood pay, smart people, awesome culture. People with bad attitudes tend to weed themselves out; Bazaarvoice tends to hire fantastic talent with great attitudes.

ConsThe location on 360 is a bit difficult with traffic. The company is growing fast and they sometimes suffer from growing pains.

What is happening to this place??

(Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-Fast-paced environment
    -(still) a number of good quality people
    -Reputation

Cons-Senior management is completely disconnected
    -New Execs/GMs don't fit the culture - one in particular seems incapable or unwilling to make necessary adjustments, and is difficult to be around because he's not particularly friendly
    -Pay is below average and raises are hard to come by unless you're on the Executive Leadership Team
    -All good requisitions are filled externally
    -TOO MANY PEOPLE
    -Stick around long enough and you become a manager, even if you don't have anyone under you or you haven't produced anything of value

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to get our house in order! The exodus is beginning and will only get worse come August when the long-termers depart...Some of the leadership should step aside and let other, more experienced business leaders take over and turn this company into a true success.

Uncomfortable if you don't fit in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSome people in certain groups are fairly cool; free drinks, snacks, etc; quite a bit of $ spent at company meetings and parties.

Could possibly provide an adequate environment for a recent college graduate or someone hired to a management position.

ConsMight not be allowed to perform the job for which you are hired; many people aren't genuinely all that friendly; some managers are fond of "micromanaging"; culture feels phony.

Probably not a good fit for a professional with experience, a family, etc, especially if not a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to forget that some of your employees have worked for companies other than Bazaarvoice. Also, a lot of talent is overlooked, marginalized, or simply wasted because an employee doesn't fit a particular description or belong to a particular social group. Finally, don't speak on behalf of employees you don't truly know.

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!