Bazaarvoice

Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin

Gene Austin

Pros:
  • "lenient vacation policy and office hours"
    in 17 reviews
  • "I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "The culture and the work life balance remains very good"
    in 10 reviews
  • "It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best place I've worked so far

Market Development (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsEnvironment and culture are exceptional. High-energy, professional, yet laid back. Compensation is fair, and diligent, hard work is rewarded financially. Clear-spoken communication from leadership, and leadership that cares (legitimately) about success of the people. Great food and healthy options in the kitchens, with frequent lunches catered in. Unlimited vacation is always a plus. For the record, although it is high-energy, this is definitely the calmest place I've ever worked. Oddly enough, it is also the most energetic, and the most positive.

Cons(1) Constant change with the usual spin from management that "this time things will be different." What would be refreshing is an acknowledgement that this is just how life is in a company that grows so fast...we make some mistakes, try new things, and learn as we go. This includes quarterly large-scale territory changes. (2) For Market Development, there has been a lot of repeated account shifting and timely response from leadership over comp structure changes lags. On the plus side, at least MD leadership communicates about this stuff and seems to hold the rest of the organization responsible. (3) The company is shedding a lot of experienced talent as it grows, so there could be a stronger talent retention program in place so the recruiters weren't always going berserk.

Advice to Senior ManagementAuthentic honesty trumps positive spin when it comes to change. We know you work hard at it, but try to implement a scalable structure that will endure for more than a quarter. Sales leadership needs to deliver on its committed timetable to MD leadership - huge disconnect here at the moment. Initiate a company-wide talent retention program.

Wow - what a 180 this place has done in the last year.

Austin, TX

Pros-Vacation policy
    -the people
    -what we've built so far
    - no micro-management (yet)
    - nice office
    - free snacks
    -benefits

Cons-Sr. leadership is throwing a lot of shiny objects (i.e. high priced GM's and other Execs) at our problems, and its only adding to the issues. more layers is not the answer.
    -Execs are COMPLETELY out of touch with what's going on right now. Feels like a mass exodus is about to happen.
    -The wonderful culture is all but gone and no one seems to care anymore
    -Caring about employees seems to be all but gone- we've lost some super talented people recently that helped build this company. They've either been pushed out or unceremoniously been let go.
    -A recent high level Exec hire has completely poisoned the culture and seen almost their entire team leave voluntarily, and nothing has been done about it. Not good for morale.
    -Too many changes all the time, both in sales and product. Nothing ever has time to bake. Knee jerk reactions to everything is the norm here.
    -Still a feeling of a 'boy's club' amongst certain leaders, esp in sales. If you're not in it...good luck getting moved up.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up guys - what was once a special place has deteriorated into a very sad state of affairs, and no one is convinced you all care anymore. Its as if the IPO happened, you made your money and that is it. This was once a place of pride to work at, people were clamoring to get it. Now people can't wait to get out, everyone is looking for jobs. The reason being, all of our friends who have left have told us how it is on the other side - more pay, less stress and being cared about by leadership. There's still time to turn things around but I fear its too late, too many great people are already gone. How long are you going to keep ignoring the problems?

Hard work with great people

Austin, TX

ProsBazaarvoice hires extremely talented individuals in every department. In 2.5 years, I ended up with colleagues that I considered friends and knew I could go to any of them if we had an issue. The people who had been with the company longer were particularly open to that type of collaboration without regard to any chain of command.
    Everyone works hard and knows when to pull together, especially to meet goals.
    The management and leadership training offered is really great. It shows that the company does want to invest in the advancement of its employees.
    If you work hard, you can be yourself and crack wise, make jokes, and generally find a way to enjoy your day.

ConsLong hours.
    You need to assert your own work life balance.
    Unlimited vacation policy isn't the best way to go - just give people 15 or 20 PTO days to take away the ambiguity and make sure some people actually take it at all.
    The free snacks and food are a perk, but almost everyone gains weight unless they have extreme self control.
    The company does re org quite a bit and it can be confusing to figure out who is in charge of what.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the senior leadership wants to keep the company informed and on the same page.
    Be careful with new management hires and make sure they still uphold the culture and values.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The most fun and challenging job I've had in my 10 year career

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Interesting challenges
    - Smart Colleagues
    - Fun environment
    - Lots of personal growth
    - Lots of room for company growth and success

Cons- Because of the rapid growth, there's lots of change
    - Lack of clear structures and processes

Advice to Senior Management- Keep sharing lots of info about the successes and challenges facing the company - setting the context energizes everyone

Always changing, but still a way better than average job

ProsSmart co-workers
    Challenging, interesting problems to work on
    Impressive clients
    Relaxed environment
    Past success
    Bright future
    Growth opportunities for the ambitious, but requires self-promotion
    Some really inspiring recent executive hires...CFO and CTO stand out
    Vacation policy
    Management admits mistakes

ConsSome recent exec and senior management hires are poisonous to the culture
    Too much re-orging
    Definition of culture, beyond the stated seven pillars, is still too organic. Would love to see some real innovation in the area of corporate culture
    Biz-speak is a little too prevalent
    Some culture of fear--people are afraid of losing jobs for poor performance but they are not sure what good/poor performance looks like

Advice to Senior ManagementGood past emphasis on culture, but we really need some leadership to make BV a special mid-sized company to work for going forward
    Hold senior execs accountable for culture and hire them carefully, there have been too many disappointments in this regard and that's a morale killer
    Fail fast is good, but we also need time for change to take hold. Re-org with care
    Focus on employee retention
    Some culture issues aside we have a strong leadership team in place

Sometimes change isn't good.

Austin, TX

ProsSome of the smartest people work here, the projects can be fun, you get to work with fortune 500 brands. The unlimited time off is nice, but I am betting that will change now post IPO.

ConsTerrible health, 401k benefits. That used to be offset w/ generous stock options, but that isn't worth what it used to be now post IPO.
    Raises and promotions are virtually non existent.
    There can be quite a bit of political maneuvering and back biting within groups.
    They have over hired a layer of middle management rapidly, and many of those new hires are incompetent.
    Turn over seems to be rather high or increasing rapidly, either by people leaving or people being let go.
    The entrepreneurial and startup atmosphere has dissipated considerably, and is transforming into your standard corporate culture (dare I say Dell?).

Great experience overall, but still a very young company with a lot of work needed

Implementation Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros- Autonomy in my role
    - Work hours flexibility/time off
    - Work with really smart people who typically take ownership for their roles

Cons- Difficult to grow your career
    - Tout the ability to have fierce conversations, when in fact you usually see negative consequences if you do
    - Highly political that requires a lot of skillful navigation

advertised as fun, different place to work but just like any other place to work

ProsYounger, hungry workforce
    No vacation time limit
    Occasional free meals
    You'll always be busy
    Some great leaders on the management and upper echelons of company

ConsLack of structure due to youth of company
    Some favoritism given to significant others working there
    You'll work more hours than normal in austin, esp if in engineering/implementation team
    No one takes vacation much due to pressure to work hard

I get to work with the brightest and the best on interesting problems.

Austin, TX

ProsThe people are great, the culture is fun, I feel challenged and inspired to make great work. The leadership has a compelling vision to make this company continue to thrive.

ConsIt can change quickly which can be difficult at times. Sometimes there is not sufficient communication around big organizational changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile moving quickly is important, it is equally important to keep those impacted by change informed. As it continues to grow, this becomes even more important.

Best place for career in UX

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsSenior leadership is very supportive of the UX team, and at Bazaarvoice, the UX process is an integral part of product discovery and development. Sadly, this is not true at a lot of other companies where UX is underutilized or ignored.

ConsUXDs are held to very high standards. There is no entry-level role or hand-holding. This is fantastic for the leader-types who would prefer to manage themselves, but painful for designers who are accustomed to receiving assignments.

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!

Bazaarvoice Videos

Bazaarvoice – Why Work for Us?

Bazaarvoice is based on a simple truth; when people talk to each other, people buy stuff they are happy about because they trust the opinions of others. We see a day when all voices are connected and, together, help the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bazaarvoice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bazaarvoice CEO Gene Austin. All 151 reviews posted anonymously by Bazaarvoice employees.