Bazaarvoice Reviews

Reset
3.6
Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Pros
  • I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good (in 10 reviews)

• lenient vacation policy and office hours (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Constant change in executive mgmt (in 7 reviews)

1. Remote Working at It's Best!

Current Employee - Content Analyst
    Current Employee - Content Analyst

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working for Bazaarvoice - I can work from home, in hourly shifts, up to a max amount per quarter, without having to talk on the phone. So many remote positions involve turning your house into a call center, but what is the point of working at home so you don't have to battle the rising costs of daycare if your kids can't even be near you? I've had no problems and plan on continuing there.

Cons

Hour-long shifts need to be broken up or your eyes will glaze over.

Advice to Management

Perhaps offering 30-minute shifts to tenured content analysts could be considered.

LiveBV

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great atmosphere. Fun, focused, and very team oriented. Weekly meetings with the entire company. And the CEO has an open door policy. I was able to speak with him about good ideas that I had for the company.

Cons

BV had a couple of issues being in the news prior to the new CEO that was brought aboard. I feel as if the company is still trying to overcome those.

Advice to Management

Keep rocking. Set specific guidelines to help employees deal with some of BV's issues of the past. Overall major kudos.

3. going downhilll

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work schedule is very flexible

Cons

Very little communication to the moderators even after something breaks. It often takes several people speaking up about something being around before the coaches even acknowledge it, and we're lucky if any one higher than moderator emails out important information about a possible problem. Coaches are very unapproachable now. Basically we've been told if it's not an outright problem don't even email us as we will ignore you (great, huh?). Then if you do email about something you roll the dice on if you get a good coach or a bad coach to reply. The good coaches will work with you, the bad coaches give you a snippy answer then won't reply to further inquiries on help with clarification. Basically it seems like they get hired based on time served and/or being friends with someone at HQ. New giant clumps of brand new clients/content with odd guidelines will be dropped on moderators with no warning and we're often scrambling trying to figure it out. Instead, it's not out of the realm to have a test set of say 20 moderators (1+ years of exp.) to test out the new guidelines before they go out to general population. Thus finding problems before they are a problem. The culture of the company is going downhill to no employee support, no communications, excuses when there are communications, and no understanding how QC/QA works

Advice to Management

Based on the reviews here and working at the company, management needs to look at things from the bottom up and make sure their structure isn't rotting more than it already has and work on fixing what is rotten.

3 years strong and I love it here

Current Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, management that allows you the freedom to handle your business once you've proven yourself capable, AMAZING colleagues who are cool as crap, smarter than anyone you've ever worked with, and some of the genuinely nicest folks out there. Yes....this goes on up the chain to the CEO. He's actually a nice guy. Good benefits, competitive pay, and increasingly interesting products with global clients to work with. I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Cons

Sometimes there can be a disconnect between product development and those of us who work with the clients and use those products, but it's improving every day. Yes, some management that has been there for a while can be under-qualified, but anytime I've bubbled up those concerns, action has been taken and honestly - BV cares about helping people improve. I've either seen those folks improve or leave the company. The environment can get a little rah-rah around sales but really - what company that sells products isn't?

Advice to Management

Make sure accountability is still present. If folks in a particular area/department are unhappy, reach out and find out why - it's usually something you can address! Be sure to give a little rah-rah to your underrepresented folks too - engineers deserve a pat on the back and an award just as often as a sales director does!

Grew through the experience

Pros

Was an invaluable place to learn and get tons of hands on experience seeing a startup grow - got to see first hand what worked, and what didn't work. Invaluable to my career.

Cons

Constantly shifting goals, teams, structures, and management. Leaders often did not take time to understand customers or the drivers behind their key metrics.

Client Care Suffering

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great product. Unlimited vacation policy. Decent pay. Smart and creative pool of employees.

Cons

Client Care Department is in serious trouble because of terrible management, but it doesn’t look like the executive team has noticed yet. Management is forcing “old school” views on a young tech company to “fix” something that wasn’t broken to begin with. Some examples of the ridiculous acts of power play coming from management include hiring their own friends and placing them in senior roles when they don’t even know the Bazaarvoice products, firing current employees to make room for these friends, micromanaging daily activities, pushing employees out when they start questioning management’s decisions, promising non-existing positions to multiple employees to start a rat race, sharing employee performance details with other team members to gain trust, and the list goes on. Needless to say this is causing the mass exodus that is now taking place in Client Care. Prior to these new “improvements”, people were generally happy with their jobs and the company as a whole. Now, everyone is looking for a way out...if they’re not already being pushed out.

Advice to Management

Executive team seriously needs to take a look at what is going on in this department. If there isn’t a change in leadership soon, Bazaarvoice is going to lose all of its seasoned support employees.

Client Care Team Hampered By Poor Management and Inexperience

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company with good products. Most teams are flourishing with talented, motivated people. Very flexible vacation policy and office perks (snacks, coffee, new location, food, beer). Company outings/parties are focused on fostering community between co-workers. Let it be known, BV knows how to throw a party.

Cons

What was once an open environment that encouraged collaboration, creativity, and autonomy has turned into an oligarchy governed by new leadership that is far too focused on micromanaging and numbers to see that team morale is at an all-time low. The combination of inexperienced managers + an authoritarian department lead has created an environment that is forcing people to seek opportunities elsewhere. Worse yet, client Care has lost close to a dozen people in the last year, but you'd be hard pressed to have leadership admit there is something wrong. In their eyes, this is the perfect job that should satisfy everyone's professional and personal needs. The job requirements are changing and management has set very aggressive, unrealistic goals that will likely impact bonuses and merit raises despite client satisfaction being at an all-time high. To make matters worse, pressure, stress, and expectations are on the rise, yet negotiating salary raises is seen as unprofessional or a sign of unhappiness. It's clear that being friendly or close with senior leadership is the best way to guarantee a promotion or being hired, as evident by the fact that more qualified individuals have been passed up for promotions in favor of those who are in total agreement with management

Advice to Management

Managers: listen to your teams and represent them well when addressing Senior Leadership. Stop agreeing to everything or compromising with the department lead. It's your job to disagree and present your team's interests with gusto. People will keep leaving, as they don't currently trust you. Senior leadership: higher the right people and pay them well. Measure their performance and listen to their needs. You have a lot of churn, but it's all based on the same systemic issues. You don't pay everyone fairly. There is a significant pay gap in the team with folks with lighter duties making significantly more than your hardest working employees.

Not a good time to join the Client Care department

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

Bazaarvoice is the best company I've ever worked for. You can really tell that they value their employees. From the moment I walked through the front door I knew that I had found the company for me. There is food catered in often, and at the end of each quarter there is a celebration of some sort. They still have a start up vibe even though being around for a while.

Cons

I know I spoke highly of Bazaarvoice above and that is why it is with a heavy heart I have to post this review, because people need to know what is going on in the Client Care department. When I started in the Client Care department, we had leadership that knew how to balance employee happiness and Client satisfaction. Then we got new leadership that just didn't get it. They came in trying to fix things that weren't broken. Our entire department was already providing one of the best client service experiences out there. Anyone who knows anything about Customer Service knows you can't achieve perfection because there will always be those customers that expect unattainable results, but it seems like that is not understood, so everyone in the department is driven to achieve unrealistic goals making people just not care. Our bonuses have been virtually nonexistent due to these goals. A reign of micromanagement has begun as well, and that is making everyone in the department miserable. We are all intelligent capable people that are good at our jobs and we do not need to have every move we make scrutinized. I usually go with the flow and keep my head down but something recently happened that has made me decide to speak up. A member of leadership publicly berated one of my co-workers about a private issue, that should never happen in a professional environment. Right now I would not recommend anyone come to work for Bazaarvoice in the Client Care Department, the pay is not worth the stress right now.

Advice to Management

Talk to everyone in the Client Care department, get their feedback about the morale of the department. Allow us to do the jobs we love and do them well, without being ruled by fear and micromanaging.

Support issues

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

The pay is decent and the flexible vacation policy is hard to beat. Also, there are plenty of free snacks and catered meals. If you forget your lunch its not a big deal because you'll probably find something in the office. My coworkers are really great. The office is well equipped with great technology and the new office we are moving to promises to be a great space for the company.

Cons

Bazaarvoice support has become quite stressful ever since the change in leadership. The startup vibe is gone and the level of micromanagement has increased (and will continue to increase). It is now at the point where it seems like working in a call center. There have been plenty of off putting behaviors by the new department head. These include not following through on promises for career path planning for employees, and firing one of our managers to bring in one of his friends (who decided she didn't like it on our team and left after less than a month). Also there was a quite public blowup at a fellow employee. I have never heard somebody raise their voice at Bazaarvoice before, so this was a major turnoff. The bonuses are unattainable in full regardless of whether you meet 100% of your goals. I would like to stay at the company but will try to get as far away from this department as possible. The pressure is on the rise. The expectations are on the rise. The workload is on the rise. Stress is on the rise. Pay is not on the rise. The resources to be successful are not on the rise. It used to be a work hard play hard kind of company but now it's just work hard.

Advice to Management

You have a talented staff and everybody was hired for a good reason. Bazaarvoice has always been successful by allowing employees to shine in their own way instead of forcing everybody to work the same way. I would like to see a return to that. It's a problem when your best and brightest employees are more interested in seeking employment elsewhere than they are in moving up. The way things are going I would not be surprised to see a mass exodus.

11. Sr. Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruiting staff and onboarding experience at Bazaarvoice is OUTSTANDING! They take a full week to ensure the new hire orientation is comprehensive, helpful and welcoming. The entire workforce was friendly, open and available.

Cons

No cons whatsoever, although the presentation stage was quite stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

RSS Feed </> Embed