Bazaarvoice

Updated November 7, 2014
3.5

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Pros
  • I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good (in 9 reviews)

• Unlimited" vacation policy (however you realize why when you quit (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Director/Market Dev in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director/Market Dev in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart, creative, and fun people. Good opportunities for growth.

Cons

Fairly inexperienced senior leadership team

maybe give new leadership some management courses. Many of them just don't have enough experience to effectively manage diverse groups.

Company losing talent

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

free food, culture, bv green, open environment, mature people

Cons

Company is losing talent due to unclear direction and increased pressure to perform miracles

sell fast

Know your career goals before joining

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

free snacks, fun parties, some flexibility

Cons

no real training. interesting to spend several hours chasing an answer that your manager had all along but did not share. no two people will tell you the same thing. too often you'll be working on something only to discover several others working on the same in a silo.

people are your greatest asset. stop burning people out. take the automatic swing off your revolving door. recognize management / contributor cliques and stop them. cultivate a collaborative force rather than encouraging every one to do their own thing.

DOJ hangover

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great product, even better customers, transparency, well funded, mature leadership

Cons

DOJ continues to haunt company, long ongoing relationship with powerreviews,

New Leadership has brought focus and clear direction

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity to expand the scope of your professional experience, work with sharp, motivated people and develop your career is broad. The new senior leadership team is experienced, open in their communication and clear in the short term goals that BV as a company needs to align around.

I was ready to leave BV a year ago, at a time of much upheaval, stress and uncertainty, but now am glad I waited to assess the new leadership. The work is challenging, but the team pulls together, is respectful and has fun on the way.

Cons

If you are not OK with regular change and a fast paced environment then this is not for you. It's never boring.
    There are still pockets within the company where the work is managed by smart people without the specific experience needed to help move BV toward best practices or ineffective managers.

The development and communication of long term plans will be key to employee commitment.
    There are a couple of senior leaders who are not effective - addressing them would help issues of morale that exist in certain departments.

Great Products-lack of direction

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

bright people- good benefits and comp

Cons

lack of direction- career path limited- too much testosterone

Take advantage of experience employee's knowledge- not the flavor of the month

Internship

Former Employee - Data Analyst Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Awesome work environment, work-life balance, leadership, management

Cons

personal growth, still some issues transitioning from a start up to a large company

It's great in theory, but stay away from Accounting/Finance

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Food
    Compensation
    Flexibility to work from home

Cons

This is only for the Finance department (from what I understand every other department but this one is great to work for). Leadership is seriously micromanaging everyone. There is one manager in particular who is rude and condescending. I had people ask me to recommend them for working here and I refused. They talk big and bad about a culture that DOES not exist here anymore. Oh and just try to take a vacation. They say it's unlimited vacation, but that is a crock. You have to have it approved beforehand and then even when you do have it approved it's subject to be taken away. Stay away from this department.

Pay attention to the employees. Most people will NOT speak up due to being in fear for their jobs. It is not a good environment.

Company is great, accounting/finance department is not

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with, benefits are above average with unlimited vacation and wellness plans, plus great break rooms and lots of free snacks/drinks. The culture is very modern and the environment isn't stuffy at all.

Cons

While other departments seem to be well managed with great office space and culture, the finance/accounting department is awful and is more like a bad 80s office space. The CFO is virtually absent and has no idea what's going on with the department, and the people directly below him are condescending and squish all creative ideas and most promotional opportunities. Great employees leave or have horrible moral due to the attitude of the senior level management, while mediocre employees stay and make the entire environment more frustrating. Micromanaging and the amount of meetings are ridiculous.

Pay attention to the finance/accounting department and how low the morale obviously is, specifically on how the department compares to other departments within the company, and the dissatisfaction with upper management. Treat your employees with respect, not like children. Weed out the people causing negative reactions, restructure the department as a whole. Stop hiring over-qualified people unless you plan on actually promoting them and giving them more responsibility.

Bazaarvoice Response

Sep 24, 2014CFO

I appreciate your feedback and am always open and receptive to it. As a company, we value authenticity and strive to always be open to input. That said, we recognize that we can improve and better ... More

Best internship experience. Got to start a brand new project that got deployed, and is in use after just 2 months

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The great things in priority order are the people, the work, the technology, and being able to work remotely even as an intern.
    I learned so much, and the people on my team are really smart and patient.
    The on-boarding process was excellent. We were productive in the 1st of the week of the internship.
    The perks here are amazing: lots of free food, a couple sponsored intern events, and company-wide event/party called All-Hands.

Cons

The only thing that I feel I wanted more of was code reviews.

Yall are awesome.