Bazaarvoice

Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin

Gene Austin

Pros
  • Unlimited" vacation policy (however you realize why when you quit(in 18 reviews)

• I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture and the work life balance remains very good(in 10 reviews)

• It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you(in 6 reviews)

Amazing place to work.

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLots of smart hard working people. Lots of challenges, culture, and benefits.

ConsTakes a long time to move up and be rewarded for great work.

Great people, but chaotic

Implementation Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMy co-workers there were great, as was mid-management. There is a strong can-do spirit. The hours were flexible.

ConsThe job was only minimally technical, despite having "engineer" in the job title. With the new CEO, paperwork was on the rise, and much of it seemed unnecessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the task you are giving your workers are actually benefiting the company.

This company is a mess

ProsGreat benefits like unlimited time and ESPP. Yearly All Hands in Austin is usually a great party. Austin office space is lively and fun.

ConsSome people are able to grow their careers here while others stagnate. Management is hit and miss, some are fantastic and others are like ghosts.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough with the meetings to discuss meetings. A lot of effort went into laying out how people could have a career path and that should apply to all employees in the company, not just select departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsAmazing people who inspire you to try your best for everything you set out to do. Always looking for better ways to improve code, customer experience, and data visualizations. Great open culture, small tight teams, and visibility into where Bazaarvoice is heading for the future. Lots of learning opportunities during lunch and learn sessions, and hackathons.

ConsBazaarvoice is growing like crazy so seating arrangements might be a little cramped.

Great Life/Work Balance

ProsYou are not micro-managed, they allow you to "own" your position. The teams are smart, passionate, and collaborative. Management is finally where is needs to be, they have a long term vision. I am excited about the future of BV.

ConsComp could be stronger, be sure you ask for what you need comp wise before you get in the door. It's hard to get a big increase once you are in. Benefits are great, unlimited pay vacation is great and benefits start right away, no waiting period.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery laid back, flexible hours, great offices, great people.

ConsDefinitely got a little of the tech company CULTure feeling there. The product isn't super interesting but you can tell there are a lot of people "drinking the Koolaid" as you might hear in the tech industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on more innovative product developments.

Turbulent times

ProsExciting industry
    Incredible client roster
    Many smart, supportive colleagues
    Top-notch annual marketing conference (Summit)
    Interesting acquisition in FeedMagnet
    Brand has good value in job market

ConsConstant change in executive mgmt
    Too many inexperienced mid-senior managers in 'stretch' jobs
    Too many 'change' projects, on top of tighter and tighter budgets
    Core product/service poorly architected, takes an army just to keep up
    Really inexperienced sales/field teams
    Culture that seems fun on the surface, but is actually damaging (For example, people can organize like crazy to wear costumes or make funny videos. But basic processes and tools that help people do their jobs are missing because folks don't want to be 'corporate.' Also, a frat-like environment remains, which stifles diversity and the innovative thinking that goes with it).

Advice to Senior ManagementFewer priorities and stick with them
    Keep execs in role--no more flavor of the month
    Hire, reward and retain experienced, competent management
    More focus/progress on product and service cleanup
    Carefully review hiring practices to break up the current pattern, get more diverse thinking in the door
    Walk the halls more, especially in sales--you will be surprised how juvenile (and sometimes offensive) the behavior can be

Bazaarvoice CEO responded to this review

Jul 15, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I’d like to take the time to address a few of your concerns.

I believe we have a solid executive leadership team in place, which will lead BV in our FY15 Journey to
    ... More

Good pay, flexible, lots of changes

Moderator (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWork from home opportunities were the best. The opportunity to make a decent amount of money was always there. Freedoms to make your own schedule

ConsConstant policy changes. Conference calls when you aren't scheduled to work. Working a weekend shift. No benefits. Not holding everyone to the same standard

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who work from home, they are just as important as te people that work in your office.

B

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat freebies like snacks, drinks, lunches and a liberal; vacation policy...if you work in the right department.

ConsLeadership offers little direction especially in the Finance department and it is difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. WAYYYYY too much money is spent on needless events and flying people all over for a company that doesn't turn a profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote or hire managers that follow the company's mantra which is supposed to be laid back and fun. With the company being Corporate now a lot of people have eeked there way in and our killing the culture.

Can't Believe It's Legal

Moderator (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorking from home
    Extensive training
    Room for growth... sorta?

ConsHigh education needed for small paying job
    Treated poorly because your out of house
    The way pay is determined
    Ethics of what the company does

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice really, mostly because their slave driven model works and it won't change

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!