Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
3.5

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Pros
  • I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good (in 9 reviews)

• Unlimited" vacation policy (however you realize why when you quit (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Sales Director/Market Dev in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director/Market Dev in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart, creative, and fun people. Good opportunities for growth.

Cons

Fairly inexperienced senior leadership team

maybe give new leadership some management courses. Many of them just don't have enough experience to effectively manage diverse groups.

Best internship experience. Got to start a brand new project that got deployed, and is in use after just 2 months

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The great things in priority order are the people, the work, the technology, and being able to work remotely even as an intern.
    I learned so much, and the people on my team are really smart and patient.
    The on-boarding process was excellent. We were productive in the 1st of the week of the internship.
    The perks here are amazing: lots of free food, a couple sponsored intern events, and company-wide event/party called All-Hands.

Cons

The only thing that I feel I wanted more of was code reviews.

Yall are awesome.

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Content Moderator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Moderator in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They give you the opportunity to work from home. Great parties where you meet everybody. Relaxed and very fun company. They are the very best at what they do.

Cons

Sometimes the schedule can be a little tough. Week ends, very early in the morning and holidays. No benefits if you work part time from home.

Keep up the great work you are doing.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people who inspire you to try your best for everything you set out to do. Always looking for better ways to improve code, customer experience, and data visualizations. Great open culture, small tight teams, and visibility into where Bazaarvoice is heading for the future. Lots of learning opportunities during lunch and learn sessions, and hackathons.

Cons

Bazaarvoice is growing like crazy so seating arrangements might be a little cramped.

Leadership Opportunities at Every Level

Current Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced, hard-working, smart colleagues. Great opportunities to gain leadership experience. Fun and motivating environment. Good company values and a focus on putting the customer at the center of our business.

Cons

Up until a few months ago I would have said cross-department collaboration, but I believe there is a renewed sense of importance around collaborating across the org.

Continue focusing on collaboration and on delighting our customers

I've never been more engaged at a company and had more fun. Lots of really smart, fun loving, unique individuals.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We have the right leadership team in place to significantly move the needle for the company. We are growing and becoming more global by the day while keeping authentic & unique in our culture. i.e. we have our own company band, our own BV film festival, our own BV art show, and the company takes Corporate Social Responsibility very seriously. Mix in incredible people, and it makes working at BV a lot of fun.

Cons

It's to be expected with a company at our stage in the lifecycle, but we have to accelerate our thinking around scalability.

Since Gene has taken the CEO job, I sincerely feel Mgmt is listening to employees and listening to customers. Let's keep headed forwarded!

4.5 years and counting- internal company transfer from Austin to London- promotion to management

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

BV has been a great place for me, hence why I've stayed for almost 5 years! We have perks that are normal in technology companies but are still unique to other industries- generous vacation policy, fun company-driven team building & huge offsite activities (parties) with coworkers, snacks/drinks/food trucks to your heart's content. I was promoted from individual contributor to manager after about 2.5 years at the company. My success as a manager has been hugely influenced by the strength of my immediate boss as well as the teamwork between them & the managers within our reporting structure. I had a personal opportunity to move to London, and BV leadership worked with me to find a position I could contribute to in London- I've been in Europe for a month and am loving it! The people who work at BV are largely very smart and committed to the vision of the company which is invigorating to be around. There is significant effort & intention to plan for the longterm, which is vastly different than my previous experiences.

Cons

Leadership turnover has been brutal- it impacts the day to day and makes our strategies change pretty frequently, so that can be annoying. Product evolution is tricky, but I'm starting to realize that is normal at startups & technology companies in general. The Austin office itself is not great- high cube walls and lack of personality throughout the office makes it uninspiring (ex: it's so similar between floors & wings that employees regularly get lost). When employees or managers have complained or left, I've seen that it's related to poor teamwork between the managers within the same VP reporting structure.

Continue to invest in employees and managers, and pay attention to accountability. Be a bit more confident (but don't be braggy)- the company is very good and can continue to lead as a tech company in Austin & the world!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Director in Emea (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Emea (Indonesia)

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

awesome atmosphere, smart colleagues, strong value offering, culture of "winners" and "can doers", focus and investment in people, good work / life balance

Cons

lack of structure and process because of amazing growth in such a short space of time
    small product range, need to build or acquire more tech

nail down client onboarding and invest in the platform (build or buy)

It's up to you to make it happen!

Current Employee - Client Success Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Client Success Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great company because of the people that decide to work for it. There is a true sense of belonging among most of the employees and this makes it a very pleasant place to work. The career possibilities are there is you show what you are worth. Growth opportunities are created if they don't exist yet for the right people and ambition is very much welcome here.

Cons

The company is young and trying to grow up fast. This sometimes goes hand-in-hand with radical changes (and reverse changes) that aren't really thought through very well.

Future is looking bright!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bazaarvoice has gone through a whole raft of changes over the last 18 months, however is finally finding stability and its footing.

- New CEO (so negative reviews relate to the former CEO not Gene Austin who only officially commenced in the position in Jan '14)

- Share price is finally on the increase (shows market is seeing the company take that step in the right direction)

- Organisation is listening to employees and are making the appropriate changes (great example of an employee survey not only being listened too, but actioned)

- Products are changing our customers businesses (exciting to be part of a company that is able to do that)

- The energy and environment is set up for great future success and is starting to build momentum

- Amazing office, love working in an office that is so hip and cool and with so many friendly faces

Cons

No negative comments at this stage

Continue with open and transparent approach. We want to hear the good with the bad and be able to join the journey with you - by being open and honest we can do that.