Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

3.7

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Pros
  • Unlimited" vacation policy (however you realize why when you quit (in 18 reviews)

• I find that you have to fight a little for a better work/life balance but overall it's pretty good (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The culture and the work life balance remains very good (in 10 reviews)

• It is a company in constant change so if you can't handle that, then this company probably isn't for you (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Turbulent times

I have been working at Bazaarvoice for more than a year

Pros

Exciting industry
    Incredible client roster
    Many smart, supportive colleagues
    Top-notch annual marketing conference (Summit)
    Interesting acquisition in FeedMagnet
    Brand has good value in job market

Cons

Constant change in executive mgmt
    Too many inexperienced mid-senior managers in 'stretch' jobs
    Too many 'change' projects, on top of tighter and tighter budgets
    Core product/service poorly architected, takes an army just to keep up
    Really inexperienced sales/field teams
    Culture that seems fun on the surface, but is actually damaging (For example, people can organize like crazy to wear costumes or make funny videos. But basic processes and tools that help people do their jobs are missing because folks don't want to be 'corporate.' Also, a frat-like environment remains, which stifles diversity and the innovative thinking that goes with it).

Fewer priorities and stick with them
    Keep execs in role--no more flavor of the month
    Hire, reward and retain experienced, competent management
    More focus/progress on product and service cleanup
    Carefully review hiring practices to break up the current pattern, get more diverse thinking in the door
    Walk the halls more, especially in sales--you will be surprised how juvenile (and sometimes offensive) the behavior can be

Bazaarvoice Response

Jul 15, 2014CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I’d like to take the time to address a few of your concerns.

I believe we have a solid executive leadership team in place, which will lead BV in our FY15 Journey to
    ... More

B

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great freebies like snacks, drinks, lunches and a liberal; vacation policy...if you work in the right department.

Cons

Leadership offers little direction especially in the Finance department and it is difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel. WAYYYYY too much money is spent on needless events and flying people all over for a company that doesn't turn a profit.

Promote or hire managers that follow the company's mantra which is supposed to be laid back and fun. With the company being Corporate now a lot of people have eeked there way in and our killing the culture.

Good pay, flexible, lots of changes

Current Employee - Moderator  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Moderator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work from home opportunities were the best. The opportunity to make a decent amount of money was always there. Freedoms to make your own schedule

Cons

Constant policy changes. Conference calls when you aren't scheduled to work. Working a weekend shift. No benefits. Not holding everyone to the same standard

Listen to the people who work from home, they are just as important as te people that work in your office.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can't Believe It's Legal

Former Employee - Moderator  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Moderator in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working from home
    Extensive training
    Room for growth... sorta?

Cons

High education needed for small paying job
    Treated poorly because your out of house
    The way pay is determined
    Ethics of what the company does

No advice really, mostly because their slave driven model works and it won't change

High C-Suite Ideals, Destructive Management Churn

Former Employee - Bazaarvoice Content Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Bazaarvoice Content Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice part-time for more than a year

Pros

Interview, training, rep support and feedback are all exemplary, the work is fun, and changes in policy and client-specific details are always easy to understand. Upper management are visionaries, very inspiring and admirable.

Cons

Senior leadership has very optimistic goals and ideals, common to most startups. The ambitions are lofty and the processes are well thought-out. However, high turnover means that middle-management always ends up with something to prove, which can be a disaster unless the personality is a good fit. Hiring practices in the management stratum seem to fall short of both leadership ideals and CSR needs, as they are based on different criteria than those that would support what the company claims to want.

Zero in on confirming that management is in line with professed culture and values. Those things can fall by the wayside in the nitty-gritty of the everyday, overlooked for basic management and Peter Principle reasons, and soon you've lost all contact with the reason you loved the company in the first place. It's not enough to talk the talk, when the people you hire to steward your workforce don't know how to walk the walk.

Pretty great company

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technically challenging atmosphere with great peers. R&D encourages innovation, hard work and cooperation. Encouragement and team outings at every corner makes it a nice place to put your all into something and feel good.

Cons

The work area is cramped because of the growth and open seating. I think 1/2 the folks like it and 1/2 don't. Not tons of ego in this place, but where there is some, they are free to be controlling. Impossible to get someone hired here.

<Upper Mgmt> Pay attention to your people, not just the politics. Sit where they do, so you can see how cramped and uncomfortable and loud it is. And, finish what you start.

I've never been more engaged at a company and had more fun. Lots of really smart, fun loving, unique individuals.

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have the right leadership team in place to significantly move the needle for the company. We are growing and becoming more global by the day while keeping authentic & unique in our culture. i.e. we have our own company band, our own BV film festival, our own BV art show, and the company takes Corporate Social Responsibility very seriously. Mix in incredible people, and it makes working at BV a lot of fun.

Cons

It's to be expected with a company at our stage in the lifecycle, but we have to accelerate our thinking around scalability.

Since Gene has taken the CEO job, I sincerely feel Mgmt is listening to employees and listening to customers. Let's keep headed forwarded!

Leadership Opportunities at Every Level

Current Employee - Sales Director  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast-paced, hard-working, smart colleagues. Great opportunities to gain leadership experience. Fun and motivating environment. Good company values and a focus on putting the customer at the center of our business.

Cons

Up until a few months ago I would have said cross-department collaboration, but I believe there is a renewed sense of importance around collaborating across the org.

Continue focusing on collaboration and on delighting our customers

Great people to work with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people and the culture are amazing. People are interested in other peoples projects and ideas are exchanged freely. There are lots of happy hours and and meetings that wrap up with social events.

Cons

There can be some confusion in what's going on in various departments and who has the authority to do what. Things get done but it can be a bit chaotic and not always the most efficient.

content analyst

Former Employee - Content Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home
    flexible hours
    Good vacation policy but not a good as it was.

Cons

character count continues to go up with no increases in rates of pay in over 5 years
    Complex guidelines with very narrow definitions which are mostly written by American writers, which leads to conflicts in comprehension by foreign moderators.
    Very tedious
    No real advancement for anyone looking for an alternate career within the company
    Lack of communication from management in the past year.

Increase pay and stop increasing the character count.

Worked for Bazaarvoice? Contribute to the Community!