Bbva

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bbva Chairman and CEO Francisco González Rodríguez

Francisco González Rodríguez

Pros
  • Good benefits for the employees(in 4 reviews)

• Great people, working environment and diverse people(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours sometimes due to time difference(in 7 reviews)

• Nothing you are told in the hiring process is set in stone in my case benifits commision structure and salary increases changed(in 3 reviews)

Great Learning & Development!

Commercial Funder/Closer I (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGood benefits and competitive salary! Upper management did make efforts to visit my department to let us know how much we were appreciated.

ConsWorkload was a bit overwhelming at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally enjoyed working with direct managers.

Stupid vacation colony for expats from Spain. Blatantly discriminates locals. Horrible management.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNot much really. Perhaps some "stability" but that is an illusion. Layoffs are common indeed. Colleagues tend to be nice, normal hardworking people. Some people are confrontational but most of the troops are quite relaxed. If you are a locally hired, non-"strategic" employee, best compensation is when you get hired because it rides a descending curve. Training is a joke, they give you the cheapest they can find. When there are "important" soccer games, it's ok to watch on the company's tv's (best pro of the company)..

ConsOnly those in the inner circle from their home country, enjoy benefits, generous company perks. All others can expect to get the bare minimum standard treatment. Most of us never get ahead. There are old timers with 20, 30 years in the same position they were initially hired. Salary increases barely keep up with inflation. Very commonly your manager will surprise you on bonus day that your performance was subpar so NO bonus for you that year. This is so because bonus announcement is on the same day you get your evaluation, so you have no opportunity to defend your point of view. Since promotion criteria is based solely on your origin and being inside the circle, management is incompetent, unprepared, untrained, egoistical, simply horrible. Even externally hired managers tend to be incompetent. Company is pretty cheap. If you are a "commoner", don't spend a dime more than the bare minimum when they send you on business travel. You won't get reimbursed. Walk or take a bus if you can, don't take a cab. Top management from hq is also horrible. Spain is broke.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet everything in writing. Always negotiate BEFORE you get into any agreement.

Low Morale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with a lot of fun people

ConsManagement will fire people if they feel they are not getting a bonus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Summer Analyst

ProsNice working environment, friendly people

ConsBusiness outlook for the next several years is not so good, I think

Imperialism alive and well....for now

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome talented people (usually no the decision makers)

ConsLimited/Non-existant career path except for expats. Poor management, very pompous and arrogant senior management, senior management predominantly expats

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in sensitivity training for management. The American worker is not necessarily accustomed to being treated like workers in other parts of the world. Especially those of us in NYC. Cutting back on the elitist and classist arrogance would do wonders for staff moral.

Very kind and caring people, lots of room for growth as Investment Bank

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsConsiderate and caring people
    Pockets of enthusiastic people striving to improve themselves and the company
    Lots of opportunity to learn and grow as a person, even if not as an employee

ConsInefficient processes and weak systems implementation
    Extremely bureaucratic
    Without speaking Spanish, you will struggle to survive
    Cronyism overshadows meritocracy

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to delegate, not just from management down, but also geographically speaking - Head Office should not be a black box that makes decisions and does not answer questions, nor should it micro-manage its employees thousands of miles away --- Dual-reporting matrix style org chart is disastrous
    If you want to be a global bank, you can't be embarrassed to speak English
    Make the investment in global systems if you want to compete globally - thousands of wasted hours on tedious tasks will never let you prosperously compete in developed countries

Up and coming Global Culture

Operational Risk Manager (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsAlways a change happening, never consistent with processes, new technology makes for better customer experience.

ConsBeing global has it's toll on legacy employees, not everyone adaptable and flexible and cooperative.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunities to those that demonstrate a desire to move up.

great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosgreat work atmosphere. Lot o fopportuities to gtrow as an individual. Feeling of being at home. Very happy to join

Constiring and very very long hours. Great travelling and pay packet is limited as compared with the other firms in the market.

Advice to Senior Managementgreat job. Keep up the good work. very Very Very Very happy to be part of this firm . All the best.

Lots of room for improvement

(Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat working environment: international, multicultural, relaxed
    Good growth plans if Europe crisis does not destroy them completely. Awesome upside potential.
    Fantastic location in NYC.
    Language lessons during working hours.
    Very conservative, and therefore safer during crisis times.
    Good benefits.

ConsUnfortunately strategy (defined by Spanish-minded bankers sitting 4,000 miles away) changes every 8 months... therefore it is impossible to develop a career away from BBVA's motherland. Junior staff usually leaves as soon as possible and only those tied by a visa to BBVA stay around more than 12 months. No training whatsoever, no career development.

International network does not really change anything, as the bank is actually a federation of local banks scattered around Latin America and Europe.

Compensation is really weak, with salary increases in the 2% range.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management (mostly expats from Spain) live really well in NY, I dont think they realize at all of what's happening behind their noses, nor that they really care. Please show employees that you care, do communicate more and better, improve compensation and define a credible growth (and career) path.

The people are great, but the opportunities to grow are very limited.

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are friendly and great to get along with.
    All benefits covered...medical, dental, vision, etc...
    Great location in the NYC branch.

ConsVery long hours depending on what group you are in, and compensation does not reflect the hours you are required to work.
    Overload of work, and not enough employees to spread the work.
    And no set annual review system in place, leaving the employee aimlessly wondering "Is my hard work going to be rewarded with a promotion of some sort?"

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the employees know you care, and want them to succeed as they help the group/company to succeed. Give them recoginition of the hard work they put in, and reward them for it. The lack of doing this only drive the best and brightest talents away from the company to seek better opportunities elsewhere.

Worked for Bbva? Contribute to the Community!