Beachbody Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
146 reviews filtered by
3.4
Carl Daikeler

Pros
  • Great work life balance and really supports in better living (in 5 reviews)

• A great place to work and great products to support (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Some members of the senior management team not so much at all (in 11 reviews)

• upper management sets unrealistic deadlines and blames lower level (in 9 reviews)

Growing too fast for own good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Working at BB HQ includes so many perks like free Shakeology and access to the gyms, plus 24hour rental of any BB exercise DVD program. Seeing how many people have turned their lives around with our products brings a sense of pride.

Cons

Growing so fast we have to compromise/take risks with food safety/ingredient quality. Seems unsustainable.

Advice to Management

Decide whether you want a safe product a few days late or a risky product on time.

Apr 17, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition & Development

We value and respect the opinions of our employees, but feel compelled to address any questions about safety. Product Quality, Safety and Controls are our top priority and our Quality Assurance ... More

It seems like a great place to work but people are always leaving.

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Very collegial, smart genuine people, working out at work, great offices, good pay, great parties, products that work and change lives

Cons

Antiquated systems which make very straightforward things difficult and hold the business back from achieving more, work can feel administrative and unimportant, parking

Advice to Management

More focus on career development and retaining people (kind of a revolving door), paid family leave, CEO could be more involved with employees at corporate

Apr 15, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your comments. We take this feedback seriously. We hope you work with your manager to address your concerns.

As a company, there is no denying the success of Beachbody, as an employee, there is no denying the total dysfunction

I worked at Beachbody

Pros

Free health shakes, onsite gym

Cons

Total dysfunction at the highest levels of management. No desire to correct obvious wrongs and no leadership to ensure best practices

Advice to Management

Take courses on leadership, remove yourselves as obstacles to employees trying to get things done. Allow for improvement rather than holding white knuckled to archaic and ineffective practices.

Awesome place to work.

Former Employee - Brand Leadership in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Brand Leadership in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody

Pros

Positive energy. Everyone exercises and seems to have generally active lifestyle. Free protein shakes and gym in building. Great pay and company activities - holiday lunches/happy hours.

Cons

Room for growth depends on department.

Advice to Management

Nothing, Doing awesome.

Mar 4, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition & Development

Wow! Thank you!

Great Place To Work

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is an excellent place to work. The job perks (2 gyms, wellness programs, access to nutrition and fitness experts) and the freedom to flex your creative muscles in a supportive, positive environment is a rare find.

Cons

Different divisions of the company are siloed which in some cases means work is done twice, but this is something the company is working on fixing.

Feb 10, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition & Development

True, the Company does believe in continuous improvement. The leadership is working to look at what and how we get things done; what can we do to be more efficient.
    Thank you for your comment!

The Absolute Best Experience I have ever had

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Great Pay
    -Great Benefits
    -Great People

Beachbody is any extremely rewarding place to work. The company really cares about its employees and the Carl is the most visionary and inspirational owners you can ever imagine. I have worked for Beachbody for over 8 years and have loved every moment.

Cons

With any company that grows there are growing pains. Sometimes in my tenure there would be out of place Management.. You know, the kinds that are under qualified and just kind of stick around until they are discovered and disposed of.. But hey what place doesn't have these types?

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

8. Good people but C-suite gets in its own way.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, smart people working at this company. Pay is good. Excellent facilities department.

Cons

C-level doesn't know when to step back & let the great people they've hired do their jobs. HR needs to work on employee satisfaction as people leave fearing there is no alternative when they feel stuck. HR could also do a better job of helping managers find growth paths for their employees.

Advice to Management

Let Directors, VPs & management do their jobs. Push HR to manage all employee satisfaction better.

Feb 10, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your transparency. We recently completed the Best Companies Survey and had a large percentage of employees participate. The People department will look at ... More

Upper management set in old ways.

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, 2 gyms, product discounts, free Shakeology and supplements.

Cons

Long hours and expectation to be available via phone or email 24/7. Upper management is full of "yes men" unwilling to improve workflows or find more efficient solutions.

Feb 10, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition & Development

Thank you for commenting. Hopefully with the improvements we are making to our systems and our desire to learn how to improve the work experience of all employees, these issues will resolve.

10. Saitisfied

I worked at Beachbody

Pros

Great Benefits, amazing work atmosphere, great people

Cons

No upward mobility, time off is difficult to take because of work load

Good culture "perks" people are friendly, but leadership is sorely lacking

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On site gyms, access to workout programs and supplements. Health & Fitness motivation helps. The Coaching business is absolutely great and definitely changes lives.

Cons

The high turnover rate here is not a myth.

-Bad upper and middle management
    -Lack of career opportunities
    -Unqualified management
    -Poor processes
    -Lack of planning/poor vision
    -Overly political
    -Lack of appreciation for employees
    -Lack of professionalism

Good employees often find themselves being pushed out due to insecure and inexperienced "leaders", or being forced to leave after experiencing burnout.

There are several hard working employees that produce good work and results, but unfortunately, this tends to mask the problem of bad management.

Example? Good results doesn't mean management is doing a good job. The working environment is very conducive to lazy managers, more so than anywhere else I've seen. Upper management accepts results at face value because in theory it's apart of the whole "team mentality" Unfortunately, this means that they fail to address or notice the deficiencies in middle management. Entire teams are "performing well" on the backs of one or two employees that actually go above and beyond.

The complete inability for upper management to address or assess their management problem has created an environment with a lack of incentive to continue producing good results. This when combined with poorly trained management will make it hard for Beachbody to retain great talent in the long term.

In addition, certain upper level management individuals were assigned to departments they are not equipped to run efficiently, or are simply unqualified, which in the long run will cost the company a lot more. But decisions do not seem to be based on any long term planning or strategy.

It's important to note that every company will have their own internal political problems. However, in this case politics often takes precedence to actual work being done. It's a shame, they have great core values, it could be great, but they have to stop operating like a startup. There's no more excuses.

Advice to Management

-Address management issues and provide proper training
    -Hire people that are actually qualified to lead
    -Provide prospective management with training
    -Put a formal HR system in place for employee relations, Beachbody can't continue running as a start up
    -Reward employees for living up to the core values not punish them
    -Provide more career opportunities for development