Beacon Economics Reviews

OK internship

Former Employee - Economics Consulting Intern  in  Brentwood, CA
    Former Employee - Economics Consulting Intern in Brentwood, CA

I worked at Beacon Economics

Pros

Beacon Economics is a good place to work at if you are a student in college looking for some work experience and something that looks good on your resume. The people who work there are generally pretty nice and easygoing.

Cons

- no pay
    - the work they give you is pretty monotonous, I could probably teach a third grader to do it

Offer some more challenging work to the intern that involves more than copy and pasting or looking for grammatical mistakes.

Toxic Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Beacon Economics full-time for more than a year

Pros

To be honest, I have nothing good to say. Working here was utterly miserable. I only stayed to keep from having a short-term job on my resume.

Cons

Toxic work environment with constant fighting between the staff. Management is very heavy-handed, and the employees feel the need to stab each other in the back to stay in management's good graces. If you get a job here, be ready to use your teeth.

The environment is also unprofessional, and not in a good way. On a number of occasions, I witnessed racism and sexism. I know this is a serious claim, but it's true, and potential employees need to be aware.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Beacon Economics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free snacks in the break room, with the occasional free lunch. Holiday parties could be fun. Some of the analysts were really great.

Cons

Cutthroat culture with very little emphasis on employee satisfaction. Low pay and long hours. High turnover, especially among talented analysts with other options.

In the interview process, they weren't completely honest about the job duties or compensation. I worked more hours and received fewer benefits than I expected.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a good place to work.

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Beacon Economics full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have a fairly good reputation, but it's all a facade.

Cons

There are few good things that can be said, but many negatives.

They are great at attracting new clients, but their work is of poor quality. The egos of their senior managers prevent them from being fair and balanced, and as a result, their viewpoints are often outlandish. If you are on their staff, you will have to incorporate these viewpoints into your work.

Senior management lacks an understanding of the economic consulting industry. They push for deadlines that are too tight, and as a result, the quality of the work suffers. On the majority of projects, senior management requests changes at the last minute, which forces the employees to work long hours, and often causes the firm to miss deadlines. They frequently lose clients because if this. It is not an environment that is conducive to success.

On a consistent basis, the senior managers berate their employees. They choose to motivate with fear, which creates a toxic work environment.

Change your approach if you want to retain employees.

Cheap management, but smart people

I worked at Beacon Economics full-time

Pros

It was a great opportunity to work and learn from some very good economists. They give you the opportunity to do meaningful work from the very start and it was generally rewarding. Very laid back casual attitude was also nice.

Cons

Management does not really value employees and there is high turn over. Because of the job market, They know they can get smart young professionals to work for them for below average pay, but they all leave as soon as they get a better offer. While their economic forecasting is very good, the business model is not great and it seemed there were always dead end projects.

It could be worse, but it could be much better.

I worked at Beacon Economics

Pros

-Other than the occasional busy period, the hours were very reasonable for consulting.
    -Most of the staff are great to work with.

Cons

-Compensation was not competitive.
    -Performance reviews, and a chance to review compensation, are supposed to be conducted annually. In practice, this does not happen. Don't expect much in terms of raises or bonuses.
    -There was little opportunity for professional development.
    -After a few months, the work became very repetitive.

Offer employees the opportunity to learn new skills and work on different kinds of projects. Bring compensation up to a competitive level. Stick to a schedule for raises and bonuses.

Worked for Beacon Economics? Contribute to the Community!