Beacon Health Strategies

Updated April 14, 2015
57 reviews filtered by
2.5
Timothy Murphy

Pros
  • Solid pay and benefits, salary increases every year, free coffee (in 4 reviews)

• Modern office facilities, good location (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to do a better job at communicating with the entire company (in 5 reviews)

• There is no training and you are blamed for not knowing how to do your job as soon as you arrive (in 4 reviews)

1. Licensed clinician

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies full-time

Pros

The co-workers are nice. That's what keeps me here for the time being. It's like a family.

Cons

The company does not appreciate hard work. I went above and beyond managing high caseloads while we were under-staffed for a good year, and when it came down to annual raises they had no problem short-changing me. The company is expanding by the minute, but they don't value their staff. I am actively seeking a job at a company that values its employees.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees where it counts.

2. 90 Day Review

Current Employee - Utilization Review Clinician in Cypress, CA
    Current Employee - Utilization Review Clinician in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies

Pros

Good people to work with, positive management, highly structured work day, professional environment, flexibility with work attire, and yes, potlucks. I am very happy working for Beacon.

Cons

Problems arise with the changes in ever-growing managed healthcare, but you will succeed if you stay flexible. Fast-paced environment reduces time to train employees. When I asked IT to fix a problem 3 times, it still occurred, so I ended up fixing it myself. HR has a bad rep, and I'm noticing why. Weight gain from potlucks!

Advice to Management

Put pressure on HR to not only accommodate what employees need to do their job, but to follow occupational safety and labor laws. Clarify employee roles better. Specify processes, timelines, and expectations before grading employees on their work. Understand the differences in employee's education and offer training in areas where staff need to be proficient. Time during the day to exercise and work off the potlucks.

3. Good job but bad management

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies

Pros

The nature of the job itself is pretty good. I really enjoyed the work and my co-workers.

Cons

The management could get erratic and unreasonable. It's hard to get recognized with all the politics.

5. Mixed bag

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and awesome coworkers

Cons

Favoritism is blatant and doesn't allow timely completion of work.

Advice to Management

Reward behaviors that get the job done. Refrain from hiring friends.

My worst professional experience ever.

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies

Pros

I was told that I had to write 20 words in the Pros section so I am writing this because there were none.

Cons

Bait and Switch...beware. Never have I been micromanaged like I was there. Ridiculous management who do not know how to manage people or direct projects. Ridiculous expectations of employees. I took the job of Care Manager because I do not want to manage people anymore. I definitely do not need to be micromanaged as most professionals do not and most people in my field have at least Master's degrees and are driven. Not enough employees were hired to get the work done and Care Managers were constantly in meetings and spending time entering data in spreadsheet ever spreadsheet which gave us less client time and we were already grossly understaffed. It was impossible to meet contractual compliance time frames. Managers were threatened by employees like me that have 10+ years of management experience compared to their???? I am not even sure many had management or leadership experience...and most were condescending and ignorant. Run....Run Fast.

Advice to Management

Management? Really? Hahaha

Poor leadership. Blatant nepotism and favoritism. Overall, the worst company for which I have worked.

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies

Pros

Compensation is within range of other companies, but not the most competitive. Professional co-workers. Decent physical work environment/location.

Cons

Poor management on all levels. Not much training, direction or encouragement or clarity from management. Favoritism toward some staff at expense of others.

Advice to Management

Provide better support, training and opportunities for all. There should be proactive day-to-day involvement on the part of senior management.

8. Great place to work

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Management can be more involved, then again that is every company.

9. words can only point at this "sitch"

Former Employee - Management in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Management in Oakland, CA

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

learn how to shape customer expectations; make a good appearance.

Cons

culturally in line with Halliburton, bain capital and other government contractors whose expertise is limited to policy and finance; seems to be mostly conservative white people on the top deck

Advice to Management

when you continue to point to your being overwhelmed, it seems charming, but becomes quite disingenuous. look at county mental health systems as a role model.

10. Growth Pains and Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies (more than a year)

Pros

This is a fast growing company, on track to becoming the biggest behavioral health company in the world. With fast growth comes pain but so do greater opportunities for advancement. A bit understaffed at the moment and tight for space but they've addressed that by buying a new floor in my building and by allotting new positions.

Cons

When you are understaffed you put in more hours, social life has suffered a bit.

Advice to Management

To avoid high turnover and to keep you best players, review compensation and consider merit increases around review time.

The worst case of the Bait and Switch

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies

Pros

Offers CEUs, nice tuition reimbursement. Other than that I can't think of another single positive thing to say.

Cons

This company will say what it takes to bring you on board. During my recruitment and interview process I was told several things that later turned out to be untrue. I was told that my position would be remote and I would be able to work from home. I was also told that I would manage a particular region. And if they were short staffed "floaters" would come in to assist with the work. I was very specific with asking about this before I was hired because these things are deal breakers to me. Well 2 weeks after I was hired that all changed. I was told I would have to work in the office instead of from home, there were no "floaters" and I would have to do the job I was hired for as well as the job of people under me. I was also told that I would have cases outside of my region. Like my title says...the worst case of the old bait and switch. After 2 weeks and 3 days I gave my resignation. They wanted me to reconsider and asked if they were able to accommodate my requests would I stay. I told them that I didn't need them to accommodate my requests...I needed them follow through on what was told to me when I accepted the position. I did find out that the turnover rate is very high.

Advice to Management

Meet with each other to discuss why your turnover rate is so high. Most people at this level of their career are not looking to leave a job after only 2 weeks. Micromanagement is not needed to manage a staff. Managers micromanage because they don't know how to manage. Passive aggressiveness doesn't work either. If you have an issue with an subordinate...discuss it with them one on one instead of bringing it up in a meeting. That isn't a good way to avoid conflict...it only shows your level of incompetence.