Beacon Health Strategies

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.5

Timothy Murphy

Pros
  • Solid pay and benefits, salary increases every year, free coffee (in 4 reviews)

• Modern office facilities, good location (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management needs to do a better job at communicating with the entire company (in 5 reviews)

• There is no training and you are blamed for not knowing how to do your job as soon as you arrive (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Management can be more involved, then again that is every company.

Not for bench warmers.

Current Employee - Director Level
    Current Employee - Director Level

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging job - this company is growing at a monster pace and lot of opportunities to grow. Hard working people get rewarded, whiners and slacker stay where they are.

This company needs hardworking people. If you are a mere 9-5 person, look elsewhere. Your hard-work gets rewarded

Cons

Pay scale is below industry standards. The company lacks basic process and procedures. Acquiring ValueOptions might just make it worse. Unless the executive and senior management change their views and bring in process and procedure and project management, it would be a difficult road ahead.

Every small issue gets escalated to executive VPs and CEO. There is no real escalation process. Issues get escalated to CEO the same day. That worked 17 years ago, but, now, you are a 5000 employee company - please leave the CEO and EVPs alone. Too much politics at senior leadership level although it doesn't really affect the line staff.

Bring in industry standard process and some PMO help. Step out of the day-to-day issues and let your staff and mid-management handle it.

Once in a while put on your big boy pants and stand up for your staff and push back on your customers. Don't let your customers dictate things to you. Now you are a huge company and you can dictate standards to your customers. Reward people with better salary and health benefits (your health benefits are below par for a health care company).

Bring in a PMO process for projects. Most projects we are working are past due. This is due to poor planning and incompetent resources - address both. Buy an enterprise project portfolio/management tool and get organized.

Growth Pains and Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies (more than an year)

Pros

This is a fast growing company, on track to becoming the biggest behavioral health company in the world. With fast growth comes pain but so do greater opportunities for advancement. A bit understaffed at the moment and tight for space but they've addressed that by buying a new floor in my building and by allotting new positions.

Cons

When you are understaffed you put in more hours, social life has suffered a bit.

To avoid high turnover and to keep you best players, review compensation and consider merit increases around review time.

The worst case of the Bait and Switch

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies

Pros

Offers CEUs, nice tuition reimbursement. Other than that I can't think of another single positive thing to say.

Cons

This company will say what it takes to bring you on board. During my recruitment and interview process I was told several things that later turned out to be untrue. I was told that my position would be remote and I would be able to work from home. I was also told that I would manage a particular region. And if they were short staffed "floaters" would come in to assist with the work. I was very specific with asking about this before I was hired because these things are deal breakers to me. Well 2 weeks after I was hired that all changed. I was told I would have to work in the office instead of from home, there were no "floaters" and I would have to do the job I was hired for as well as the job of people under me. I was also told that I would have cases outside of my region. Like my title says...the worst case of the old bait and switch. After 2 weeks and 3 days I gave my resignation. They wanted me to reconsider and asked if they were able to accommodate my requests would I stay. I told them that I didn't need them to accommodate my requests...I needed them follow through on what was told to me when I accepted the position. I did find out that the turnover rate is very high.

Meet with each other to discuss why your turnover rate is so high. Most people at this level of their career are not looking to leave a job after only 2 weeks. Micromanagement is not needed to manage a staff. Managers micromanage because they don't know how to manage. Passive aggressiveness doesn't work either. If you have an issue with an subordinate...discuss it with them one on one instead of bringing it up in a meeting. That isn't a good way to avoid conflict...it only shows your level of incompetence.

Good roots, good people, fast paced jobs and a little disorganized....

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary. Good people. Decent management team. Good community environment. People do care about others and how they impact each other.

Cons

Overworked. Understaffed. People try to take other people roles and create confusion and errors. People are allowed to run other areas they have no idea how to run, Role clarity is a major issue. Lot of political issues within leadership that trickle down to management.
    There is a lot of the "you scratch my back.... I'll scratch your's..." Some people get everything they want, and some do not.

Stop. Set guidelines for departments and stop letting other areas try and overtake those lines. Appreciate your staff enough to do their jobs.

Stay away...

Former Employee - Management in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Management in Boston, MA

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Looking back, other than co-workers and location, there's little positive that I recall about this company

Cons

Cronyism and nepotism are evocative conditions that often exist among insecure and inexperienced management that has destructive impact on working conditions. Both are at the central root of Beacon's near intolerable working environment. While there are pockets of normalcy and a staff of hard-working, decent people - much of your experience at Beacon will be one of frustration. You will be frustrated that best practices you learned at other companies will be devalued or rejected out of hand by incompetent management. Power and authority at the hands of the inept is treacherous for those of us who work for a living. The irony at Beacon is the founder’s heart being firmly committed to the improvement of behavioral health care, while the elitist management at Beacon assails the psyche of staff on nearly a daily basis. Pathetically, not only does Beacon senior management not notice their caustic management styles, they don’t care. There are better jobs out there and if that means waiting a little longer to land one, consider the cost to your core should you work at Beacon. In nearly 30 years’ experience, I have never encountered what I experienced at Beacon. And, no matter how much time passes, bumping into former staff always centers first on discussions about Beacon’s dysfunctional and inexperienced senior management. It’s a company many of us won’t long forget. Stay away.

Move on. You clearly are vested in your own agendas to the detriment of Beacon's potential success.

Lack of leadership

Former Employee - Manager in Cypress, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Cypress, CA

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best reason are the benefits and the people that work there, the people are gre4at, just not the organization as a whole

Cons

Senior Management not open to ideas other than their own. Meetings were like a preschool class, Senior Management overtalking one another. Amazing any work got done

Listen to your employees, they have great ideas. Pay your front line employees what they deserve for the amount of work they do

Nepotism is a huge deterrent to success at this company!

Former Employee - Director Level in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director Level in Boston, MA

I worked at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff in most areas of the company are hardworking people who are often overlooked in promotions losing out to "friends".

Cons

Hugely incompetent senior management. Original mgmt team joined the company early in their careers and the the other bunch are political hacks...ever heard of political fundraisers during working hours? Oh, and that hush, hush relationship between two top executives is a major compromise to their individual integrity that filters down through the ranks. It really says something about their character, how they value others and respect for others. One of these execs frequently uses phrases like "trained monkeys"... Guess they're above it all. Wonder how they think that value system is something the employees of Value Options will blindly accept?

Spend some time soul searching and do the right thing...hire competent people not just friends and lovers. Also maybe stop the HR team from filing those positive reviews of the company...

Growing MBHO Company Striving Towards Improved Integrated Care

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my experience, this company has grown tremendously which has resulted in many personal and career growth opportunities. When completing my educational goals, the company was flexible with my schedule and offered tuition reimbursement, which helped a great deal. The positive team morale also makes work something to look forward to. Lots of career minded individuals looking for ways to be innovative and improve the healthcare system overall.

Cons

The challenge with working at Beacon is the growing pains that follow large business expansions in general. It is important to remember that you have to take the bad with the good, and stay focused on the goals and mission. Overtime the growing pain challenges with dissipate.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cypress, CA

I have been working at Beacon Health Strategies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relationship with co-workers will be there forever. Most teams really believe in the work that we are doing

Cons

Growing pains, lack of employee effort to help make things better. Too much complaining and feelings of entitlement are through the roof.

Work to develop training programs that staff can use for personal development within the organization