Bealls

Updated January 28, 2015
2.9

Bealls CEO Stephen M. Knopik
Stephen M. Knopik

Pros
  • Good salary, great people, a weeks vacation after 6 months, simple job (in 6 reviews)

• Family owned business where all employees feel like they are part of the family (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay and not they don't give you very many hours for payroll (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management is terrible as well as being extremely unethical (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Long hours, little support.

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bealls full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family company. Good discount and very customer service oriented.

Cons

Hours and unrealistic expectation. Not enough help. District team not on same page. Change their minds all the time.

Care about employees. Lead by example.

I worked at Bealls for almost 6 months.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hondo, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hondo, TX

I worked at Bealls full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can move up very quickly, you get a great discount, and I loved my job.

Cons

You have to fight for a management position, there aren't many opportunities to move up, but I got lucky and moved up quickly.

It would be nice if we got a bigger budget to spend on some of the stores, in my store we had no air conditioning in our stock room so we would be sweating while unloading boxes and then we would have to talk to customers like that.

Bealls Outlet (in Fort Oglethorpe, GA) is a terrible place to work AND shop; it's unbelievably dirty and poorly managed.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Oglethorpe, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Oglethorpe, GA

I worked at Bealls part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-- No managerial supervision.
    As a sales associate, I would literally go DAYS without ever encountering a manager or key-holder. I mean I honestly could have just clocked in, gone back out to my car and napped for my entire shift, and I'm truly doubtful that anything would have even been said to me about it!

-- No real training process.
    Again, I'm not exaggerating. On my very first day there, they left me alone in the break room for 3 hours with a couple of promotional videos and a stack of paperwork a foot high. But after that, they put me right on the sales floor and then went on their way. I ended up figuring out the POS system on my own eventually, strictly out of sheer boredom.

-- Nice customers.
    This one isn't sarcasm, I actually really did enjoy the customers. Obviously I'd come across an ill-mannered patron from time to time, but 95% of the time, the shoppers I assisted were nothing but kind and patient with me.

Cons

-- No job security. You start out on a 90-day "orientation". During this time you are expected to be an exemplary worker, or else they can and will reserve their right to sack your without any notice or explanation whatsoever. (And I'm quoting straight from the employee handbook, here.)

-- Pay starts at minimum wage. It's seriously not even worth it, I promise you.

-- Mind-numbing repetition. Literally, all your job is comprised of is picking clothes up off of the floor and hanging them back up. All day. Clothes. Floor. Hanger... That's it. It feels like you're cleaning your bedroom for 8 hours, except minus the satisfaction, because people just come and knock down all the clothes a minute later. I hope you like having a sore back, because half of those 8 hour shifts is spent just bending over.

-- SO DIRTY. Firstly, you have the break room: The sink would be overflowing with smelly, nasty dishes for weeks at a time (who brings dishes to work?!). I tried to avoid going in there as much as I could because of the flies, but unfortunately that's where our lockers were located.

Secondly, you have the bathrooms: Not ONCE while I worked there was I ever instructed by management to clean them (or even trained how to). Not once did I witness any of the other girls cleaning them. In fact, when I asked the girls with the most seniority about it, they couldn't even tell me what the cleaning procedures for the restrooms were! Needless to say, after that I always made it a point to "go" before I left the house, in the safety of my own regularly bleached bathroom.

And finally, you have the floors: Next time you go to a Beall's, find a regular rack of clothes. Then, pull the clothes back for a moment, and take a good peak underneath. I'd bet you money that it'd look like someone just emptied the full contents of their vacuum cleaner's dust-bag down there. Why? Because even though they're open morning to night, 7 days a week; sweeping for some reason only takes place once a week. Mopping? Never seen it. I guess that wouldn't be so bad, except that in stores like Beall's, clothes tend to fall off of their hangers like, a lot (trust me). And so they fall straight into the filth, are typically trampled over a little bit before a sales girl finally makes her way over and notices. She of course hangs it right back up. And then you buy it. Congratulations, you now have Ebola.

Advice?

Nah, that place is hopeless.

Security Management at Bealls Inc

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Bealls full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere which is unusual in the corporate setting. Good training program for new officers. Shifts are steady and consistent, no forced overtime.

Cons

Managers can be repetitious and windy. Expectations of employee perform is excessive. A 1% error rate for the year is not acceptable. Has no concept of a proper staff meeting. Doesn't use time management. Never seen in the field.

We heard you the first time. If your going to hold daily briefing keep it to 30 minutes and don't rehash subjects already covered in previous meeting unless there is new information to be had. Trust your Supervisors or get rid of them. Get out of your office and be seen on all 3 shifts. Practice time management. Ge out of your office and been seen on all 3 shifts

They teach a lot of lessons ...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL

I have been working at Bealls full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn, get your feet wet and polish skills.

Cons

The pay isn't competitive with similar positions in the industry. Also processes need to be revisited and updated - they require so many extra steps and it's not always time effective. It effects the process and morale negatively.

Spend a little more energy in employee relations, treat them like assets.

Company only cares about sales now and forgot about employees

Current Employee - Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Bealls full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discounts , good variety of brands

Cons

Constantly being pushed to do more than expected

Show some loyalty to the former employees who are constantly showing dedication, instead of pushing them to exceed way more. This company has changed over the years drastically, in a very disloyal way. Seems they only care about money now.

I have worked for bealls for 4 years and we are like a family at my location. I love my job!!

Current Employee - Supervisor in Winder, GA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Winder, GA

I have been working at Bealls full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice family environment, I love my customers and all of my associates! Wouldn't trade it for anything!

Cons

So much to do & not enough time to do it, but overall I wouldn't wanna be anywhere else. I truly love this place.

Understand what it's like to be in our shoes as far as the work load goes, however all of the visits we've gotten have been mostly positive... Constructive criticism isn't a bad thing! :)

My experience in the home office was a great one - good people, good projects, and enjoyable.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Bealls full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family owned, casual office environment, reasonable about requesting overtime and understands about work-life balance. Not afraid to promote from within.

Cons

Somewhat micromanaged, although that may be typical of family-owned businesses. Be careful not to over analyze and fall victim to paralysis of analysis.

Don't be afraid to empower your managers and directors. Give them some autonomy if they have earned it. Also, I believe that a more formal succession planning and management training program would be beneficial.

Annoying

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clermont, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clermont, FL

I worked at Bealls part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some co-workers were nice and some of the customers were regulars who would come in everyday who were very nice.

Cons

The supervisors were very rude and gossiped a lot. The manager was never there and only gave hours to the supervisors. Started off with good hours then got cut every week. They never put enough people to close and always complained how short staffed they were but they never gave anyone hours.

Keep an eye on your managers and supervisors because they are ruining your stores.

Bland Department Stores

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Bealls full-time

Pros

Financially stable company, small, regional, local

Cons

Much of the senior management is ill suited for their positions, many were unable to read let alone utilize sales reports, a lot of very weak management at the store level as well resulting in their attempting to micro manage certain aspects of the business, NO recognition for positive results.

Stop managing down to the lowest common denominator. Set realistic goals and then GET OUT OF THE WAY of your store managers and let them do their jobs.