Bear Stearns
www.bearstearns.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Bear Stearns Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014
Bear Stearns – US – “3 billion dollar building”

Bear Stearns Chairman, Bear Stearns Companies and Bear, Stearns & Co. Jimmy Cayne

Jimmy Cayne

Doesn't matter

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Proscomp, exciting work, middle of financial industry's darkest moments

Some senior management better than others, good, smart people to work with

ConsIt went out of business, threatening to bring the whole financial industry down with it. Some senior management was abusive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNext time, cut off the pipeline, sell high, have political connections (a la Goldman Sachs) and don't allow your fund investors to make margin calls.

Interns treated with disrespect

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsNo micro-managing. It looks good on a resume. You can get a little training on their Bloomberg terminal if you want.

ConsThe MD's didn't care about anyone but themselves. It was hard to come in every day and greet people who didn't care about your work

Advice to Senior ManagementI would ask that they try a little harder to provide a position experience for those who choose to spend their time there.

No longer exists, what else can be said?

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsVery hands off. Allowed you to work independantly and treated you as an asset. Had a good corporate culture there.

ConsOther than the fact it went bankrupt? It seemed to be the lesser of it's peers. It was driven by one business and when that failed, it did too.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should have diversified the business ventures to which it allocated capital. There also should have been a better recruitment program

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

actually its a good job

Investment Banking Analyst (Former Employee)

Prosactually its a good job. high salary with reputation in the past. Also it's less competitive to get a job from this company when comparing with Goldman

Consyou will expect that there will be a long working hour. It depands on how you like the field of investment banking

Advice to Senior Managementthere is a top to down management. Top management are friendly but it may be the freind friendly enviroment that make the compnay not so competitive

the good company to work

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Prospeople are nice and environment is dynamic and active. During the last few years with Bear Stearns, I met a lot of great people there. As a number 5th investment bank firm (of couse it is the history), the long history of the firm brought me into the world of trading US investment bank environment. I was working in Security Transaction department and be responsible to equity trading. Different from other investment banks I worked, here they worked in the way of relationship first approach and I am not the right person to comment if it is a good approach as there is no chance to change and test it for differnece. But I loved the enviroment indeed to work out the business in friendship and brotherhood.

Consless organized and with more ad-ho issues to handle

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attension to the middle level staff growth

The people of Bear will make an impact no matter where they land. The culture will be missed and forever remembered...

Prime Brokerage (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat People, Culture and Room for Advancement.

ConsIt no longer exists and compensation could have been better for all.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo bad you didnt see this coming. I feel much more could have been done to avoid the obvious outcome.

Bear Stearns was a great place to work but too bad it does not exist anymore

Intern (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat advancement in the industry, lots of learning, steep learning curve if you like that. Everyone told me that investment banking was the way to go and I can definitely see why. You learn so much and a lot is expected of you right from the start. You are surrounded by very very very smart people and you can learn a lot from them too. Then there is also the pay. You get paid a lot for the hours that you put in and it looks amazing on your resume to have a company like this on there to speak for you.

ConsThe fact that you really have no time for your family and friends really takes a toll on your lfestyle. I was only an intern there but I didn't have much of a chance to see people I cared about or work out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback to junior people.

Understandable why they failed.

Equity Research Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsIt was just like the other investment banks, banks which no longer exist in the form they had when I worked on the Street.

ConsThe downsides to working at Bear included the lack of interest from management to the impact of their decisions on those under them. I worked for a boss who took 100% of the credit for the activities of his staff and instructed his staff on how to cover for his time outside of the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that senior management learn to pay more attention to the skills and opinions of those under them and to never forget that they just may not be the most important or intelligent people in the room.

Once upon a time, it used to be a great place to be....

Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe atmosphere was great. I loved to be around my co-workers. The job rewarded me as much growth as I wanted. I was given much responsibilities that people of my same age could not imagine. Although, things turned south starting last summer, I did miss my tenure with Bear prior to that.

ConsI think the pay is on the lower side of the Wall Street pay scale. Management is very capable but needs to pay better severance for the people they decide to get rid of. In addition, there is not much professional support network that promotes growth and advancement for young professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to compensate your talents better.

Worked for Bear Stearns? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bear Stearns reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bear Stearns CEO Jimmy Cayne. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Bear Stearns employees.