Bear Stearns

Bear Stearns Reviews

Updated November 7, 2014
Updated November 7, 2014
3.3

Bear Stearns Chairman, Bear Stearns Companies and Bear, Stearns & Co. Jimmy Cayne
Jimmy Cayne

Once upon a time, it used to be a great place to be....

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

The atmosphere was great. I loved to be around my co-workers. The job rewarded me as much growth as I wanted. I was given much responsibilities that people of my same age could not imagine. Although, things turned south starting last summer, I did miss my tenure with Bear prior to that.

Cons

I think the pay is on the lower side of the Wall Street pay scale. Management is very capable but needs to pay better severance for the people they decide to get rid of. In addition, there is not much professional support network that promotes growth and advancement for young professionals.

Need to compensate your talents better.

A place where bad managers go to die!

Former Employee - Vice President - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

Location, location, location - great part of New York (that is if you worked on Madison Ave)

Cons

Managers that did not deserve to be in the position they were in

Get a clue and listen to your reports.

Understandable why they failed.

Former Employee - Equity Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

It was just like the other investment banks, banks which no longer exist in the form they had when I worked on the Street.

Cons

The downsides to working at Bear included the lack of interest from management to the impact of their decisions on those under them. I worked for a boss who took 100% of the credit for the activities of his staff and instructed his staff on how to cover for his time outside of the office.

I would suggest that senior management learn to pay more attention to the skills and opinions of those under them and to never forget that they just may not be the most important or intelligent people in the room.

Bear Stearns was a great place to work but too bad it does not exist anymore

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

Great advancement in the industry, lots of learning, steep learning curve if you like that. Everyone told me that investment banking was the way to go and I can definitely see why. You learn so much and a lot is expected of you right from the start. You are surrounded by very very very smart people and you can learn a lot from them too. Then there is also the pay. You get paid a lot for the hours that you put in and it looks amazing on your resume to have a company like this on there to speak for you.

Cons

The fact that you really have no time for your family and friends really takes a toll on your lfestyle. I was only an intern there but I didn't have much of a chance to see people I cared about or work out.

Give more feedback to junior people.

The people of Bear will make an impact no matter where they land. The culture will be missed and forever remembered...

Former Employee - Prime Brokerage in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Prime Brokerage in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

Great People, Culture and Room for Advancement.

Cons

It no longer exists and compensation could have been better for all.

Too bad you didnt see this coming. I feel much more could have been done to avoid the obvious outcome.

bear stearns think before u join the bear

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

the compensation and bonus were the twilight

Cons

the work hours no work after life and no going forward

stop behaving as if u are the best on the street

Great first job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

The people make great co-workers and has a small firm feel. The parties weren't cheezy corporate but fun, that you wanted to be apart of.

Cons

It reminded me of the t.v. show, Mad Men, when men had certain bigger roles and woman reported to the men. All men are brokers and all woman are sale assistants, period. The sales assistants don't have much room for career growth and at times, don't feel as appreciated as they should. There is also very little diversity regards to race.

Be more connected with lower assistants as they might have more influence than you think.

the good company to work

Current Employee - Vice President in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Bear Stearns

Pros

people are nice and environment is dynamic and active. During the last few years with Bear Stearns, I met a lot of great people there. As a number 5th investment bank firm (of couse it is the history), the long history of the firm brought me into the world of trading US investment bank environment. I was working in Security Transaction department and be responsible to equity trading. Different from other investment banks I worked, here they worked in the way of relationship first approach and I am not the right person to comment if it is a good approach as there is no chance to change and test it for differnece. But I loved the enviroment indeed to work out the business in friendship and brotherhood.

Cons

less organized and with more ad-ho issues to handle

pay more attension to the middle level staff growth

actually its a good job

Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst
    Former Employee - Investment Banking Analyst

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

actually its a good job. high salary with reputation in the past. Also it's less competitive to get a job from this company when comparing with Goldman

Cons

you will expect that there will be a long working hour. It depands on how you like the field of investment banking

there is a top to down management. Top management are friendly but it may be the freind friendly enviroment that make the compnay not so competitive

No longer exists, what else can be said?

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Bear Stearns

Pros

Very hands off. Allowed you to work independantly and treated you as an asset. Had a good corporate culture there.

Cons

Other than the fact it went bankrupt? It seemed to be the lesser of it's peers. It was driven by one business and when that failed, it did too.

Management should have diversified the business ventures to which it allocated capital. There also should have been a better recruitment program

Bear Stearns Photos