Bear Stearns Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Great Firm

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement. many good departments and they pay well and offer very constructive feedback on projects etc.

Cons

The hours can be very long, it can be very political - pay is highly subjective and many people quit because of this.

2. Best Company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Network Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Network Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast moving, valued employee ideas and initiative.

Cons

Very hard to break out of back office operations.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture intact

3. Analyst

Pros

awesome place, senior experience, great learning environment. Best place to start a career. To bad it's not around. I miss the place very greatly

Cons

Tough culture. Long hours but worth it. More respect for junior employees time on weekends. Wish the firm was still around. Senior management needs to spend more time with junior employees.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with junior employees. Teach them about firm history and past mistakes to be learned from. Memos from the chairman should be mandatory reading for every new employee.

5. Analyst

Pros

Great place to work for sure

Cons

Unfortunately it no longer exists

6. Incredible company to work for.

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

Pros

Best of Breed. I've worked in the Wall Street world for 25 years and in general, Bear Stearns has the best of everyone.

Cons

long hours, got to pay your dues. sometimes difficult to get recognition.

Advice to Management

Reward the little guy, he's the one who really gets the work done. Without him, the trade doesn't get completed.

7. Great place to work

Pros

Smart and dedicated people. Great experience.

Cons

Lower salary compared to its peers.

Advice to Management

Should have done a better job

8. Once upon a time, it used to be a great place to be....

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

The atmosphere was great. I loved to be around my co-workers. The job rewarded me as much growth as I wanted. I was given much responsibilities that people of my same age could not imagine. Although, things turned south starting last summer, I did miss my tenure with Bear prior to that.

Cons

I think the pay is on the lower side of the Wall Street pay scale. Management is very capable but needs to pay better severance for the people they decide to get rid of. In addition, there is not much professional support network that promotes growth and advancement for young professionals.

Advice to Management

Need to compensate your talents better.

9. Bear Stearns was a great place to work but too bad it does not exist anymore

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

Great advancement in the industry, lots of learning, steep learning curve if you like that. Everyone told me that investment banking was the way to go and I can definitely see why. You learn so much and a lot is expected of you right from the start. You are surrounded by very very very smart people and you can learn a lot from them too. Then there is also the pay. You get paid a lot for the hours that you put in and it looks amazing on your resume to have a company like this on there to speak for you.

Cons

The fact that you really have no time for your family and friends really takes a toll on your lfestyle. I was only an intern there but I didn't have much of a chance to see people I cared about or work out.

Advice to Management

Give more feedback to junior people.

10. Great first job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The people make great co-workers and has a small firm feel. The parties weren't cheezy corporate but fun, that you wanted to be apart of.

Cons

It reminded me of the t.v. show, Mad Men, when men had certain bigger roles and woman reported to the men. All men are brokers and all woman are sale assistants, period. The sales assistants don't have much room for career growth and at times, don't feel as appreciated as they should. There is also very little diversity regards to race.

Advice to Management

Be more connected with lower assistants as they might have more influence than you think.

11. Was a great Place to work. Shame what happened with JPMorgan and all.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Family atmosphere and a great team spirit..we worked for each other not simply for the firm.

Cons

Lack of liquidity. Run on the bank.

Advice to Management

Cash is King.

RSS Feed </> Embed