Bear Stearns

Bear Stearns Reviews

Updated November 7, 2014
Updated November 7, 2014
3.3

Bear Stearns Chairman, Bear Stearns Companies and Bear, Stearns & Co. Jimmy Cayne
Jimmy Cayne

Both challenging and rewarding

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

The people. Was always a strong degree of camraderie in the organization. Given the flexibility to run your unit a a mini-business within the business as long as you operated professionally and withthe best interests of the firm as your guide. Work was both challenging and rewarding, both in stature and compensation.

Cons

The firm's growth led to a geographic dispersion of employees over multiple sites. This detracted from the "family" atmosphere as communications suffered to a degree.

Well, this is all water under the bridge but management should have managed leverage better and not gotten caught up with "keeping up with the Joneses".

Was a great Place to work. Shame what happened with JPMorgan and all.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

Family atmosphere and a great team spirit..we worked for each other not simply for the firm.

Cons

Lack of liquidity. Run on the bank.

Cash is King.

the good company to work

Current Employee - Vice President in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at Bear Stearns

Pros

people are nice and environment is dynamic and active. During the last few years with Bear Stearns, I met a lot of great people there. As a number 5th investment bank firm (of couse it is the history), the long history of the firm brought me into the world of trading US investment bank environment. I was working in Security Transaction department and be responsible to equity trading. Different from other investment banks I worked, here they worked in the way of relationship first approach and I am not the right person to comment if it is a good approach as there is no chance to change and test it for differnece. But I loved the enviroment indeed to work out the business in friendship and brotherhood.

Cons

less organized and with more ad-ho issues to handle

pay more attension to the middle level staff growth

Great first job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

The people make great co-workers and has a small firm feel. The parties weren't cheezy corporate but fun, that you wanted to be apart of.

Cons

It reminded me of the t.v. show, Mad Men, when men had certain bigger roles and woman reported to the men. All men are brokers and all woman are sale assistants, period. The sales assistants don't have much room for career growth and at times, don't feel as appreciated as they should. There is also very little diversity regards to race.

Be more connected with lower assistants as they might have more influence than you think.

Bear Stearns was a great place to work but too bad it does not exist anymore

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

Great advancement in the industry, lots of learning, steep learning curve if you like that. Everyone told me that investment banking was the way to go and I can definitely see why. You learn so much and a lot is expected of you right from the start. You are surrounded by very very very smart people and you can learn a lot from them too. Then there is also the pay. You get paid a lot for the hours that you put in and it looks amazing on your resume to have a company like this on there to speak for you.

Cons

The fact that you really have no time for your family and friends really takes a toll on your lfestyle. I was only an intern there but I didn't have much of a chance to see people I cared about or work out.

Give more feedback to junior people.

Once upon a time, it used to be a great place to be....

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns

Pros

The atmosphere was great. I loved to be around my co-workers. The job rewarded me as much growth as I wanted. I was given much responsibilities that people of my same age could not imagine. Although, things turned south starting last summer, I did miss my tenure with Bear prior to that.

Cons

I think the pay is on the lower side of the Wall Street pay scale. Management is very capable but needs to pay better severance for the people they decide to get rid of. In addition, there is not much professional support network that promotes growth and advancement for young professionals.

Need to compensate your talents better.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Associate (Financial Analyst) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate (Financial Analyst) in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

salary comp are mostly in line with street

Cons

hours are very long compared to other jobs

Executive Assistant

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team and office culture

Cons

Work-life balance was just "OK"

Finance

Former Employee - Finance Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bear Stearns full-time (more than an year)

Pros

entrepreneurial and strong team culture. Upward mobility and pro-active growth model

Cons

does not exist anymore. Financial collape

Wild wild west...

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bear Stearns full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Very entrepreneurial.
    - Family feel

Cons

- Top management incompetent.
    - Very New-York based. Thus, treats other offices (e.g. Chicago) with neglect.

Too bad you couldn't change your actions before the company went down in flames.

Bear Stearns Photos