Bear Stearns

www.bearstearns.com

Bear Stearns Reviews

Updated Jun 17, 2014
Bear Stearns – US – “3 billion dollar building”

Bear Stearns – US – “3 billion dollar building”

Bear Stearns Chairman, Bear Stearns Companies and Bear, Stearns & Co. Jimmy Cayne

Jimmy Cayne

the good company to work

Vice President (Current Employee) Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Prospeople are nice and environment is dynamic and active. During the last few years with Bear Stearns, I met a lot of great people there. As a number 5th investment bank firm (of couse it is the history), the long history of the firm brought me into the world of trading US investment bank environment. I was working in Security Transaction department and be responsible to equity trading. Different from other investment banks I worked, here they worked in the way of relationship first approach and I am not the right person to comment if it is a good approach as there is no chance to change and test it for differnece. But I loved the enviroment indeed to work out the business in friendship and brotherhood.

Consless organized and with more ad-ho issues to handle

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attension to the middle level staff growth

Great first job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people make great co-workers and has a small firm feel. The parties weren't cheezy corporate but fun, that you wanted to be apart of.

ConsIt reminded me of the t.v. show, Mad Men, when men had certain bigger roles and woman reported to the men. All men are brokers and all woman are sale assistants, period. The sales assistants don't have much room for career growth and at times, don't feel as appreciated as they should. There is also very little diversity regards to race.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more connected with lower assistants as they might have more influence than you think.

Bear Stearns was a great place to work but too bad it does not exist anymore

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat advancement in the industry, lots of learning, steep learning curve if you like that. Everyone told me that investment banking was the way to go and I can definitely see why. You learn so much and a lot is expected of you right from the start. You are surrounded by very very very smart people and you can learn a lot from them too. Then there is also the pay. You get paid a lot for the hours that you put in and it looks amazing on your resume to have a company like this on there to speak for you.

ConsThe fact that you really have no time for your family and friends really takes a toll on your lfestyle. I was only an intern there but I didn't have much of a chance to see people I cared about or work out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback to junior people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once upon a time, it used to be a great place to be....

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe atmosphere was great. I loved to be around my co-workers. The job rewarded me as much growth as I wanted. I was given much responsibilities that people of my same age could not imagine. Although, things turned south starting last summer, I did miss my tenure with Bear prior to that.

ConsI think the pay is on the lower side of the Wall Street pay scale. Management is very capable but needs to pay better severance for the people they decide to get rid of. In addition, there is not much professional support network that promotes growth and advancement for young professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to compensate your talents better.

Great place to work

Associate (Financial Analyst) (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prossalary comp are mostly in line with street

Conshours are very long compared to other jobs

Executive Assistant

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat team and office culture

ConsWork-life balance was just "OK"

Finance

Finance Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosentrepreneurial and strong team culture. Upward mobility and pro-active growth model

Consdoes not exist anymore. Financial collape

Wild wild west...

Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Very entrepreneurial.
    - Family feel

Cons- Top management incompetent.
    - Very New-York based. Thus, treats other offices (e.g. Chicago) with neglect.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo bad you couldn't change your actions before the company went down in flames.

8 year employee let go just before they went under

Associate Director (Former Employee) Whippany, NJ

ProsBear was a great place to work when it came to using new technologies, broadening your skills, and having a lot of career opportunities. I started off as a relatively junior software programmer; in the course of just under 8 years I had been promoted to Associate Director and was doing some really incredible work. The company also had a lot of great people working there who I really enjoyed spending my days with.

ConsIn its final year or two, the company had turned into a meat grinder much like Goldman Sachs. 70-hour weeks were typical for me, along with loads of stress and ridiculously tight delivery deadlines. After putting in all that effort and making myself known as a stellar employee, the company laid me off along with several hundred others in the biggest such layoff the company had ever done. Four months later they were gone and absorbed by JP Morgan Chase.

Culture was eroding along with the balance sheet in 2007-2008.

Middle Office (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMostly no BS approach to getting things done. Anyone in the firm would respond to you if you called.

ConsCulture of promoting from within was largely thrown out the window.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's already over, so no point.

Worked for Bear Stearns? Contribute to the Community!