BearingPoint

BearingPoint Reviews in Alexandria, VA

3.6

BearingPoint Managing Partner Peter Mockler
Peter Mockler

Pros
  • Work/life balance probably a bit better than competitors (in 45 reviews)

• Really great place to start consulting career (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management (probably the reason went bankrupt); territorial attitudes of managing directors (in 27 reviews)

• Compensations, trainings and work-life balance depends on your boss and not from your personal qualities (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great lifestyle firm

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at BearingPoint

Pros

Good work gets recognized. Also, the company has a very flat hierarchy so lots of contact, mentoring from most MD's. Also, when my wife and I had our first child, the firm was terrific at making sure I had enough time away from projects to focus on family.

Cons

Can be difficult to move across projects. Projects tend to be of longer duration than at other firms (4 - 10 months typical). This makes it tough to build a broad base of experience unless you've spent significant time at the firm.
    Also, the commercial side of BE's consulting suffered serious damage when the company restated earnings a few years ago. As it stands, the public practice is really the only part of the firm that is considered competetive.

Pay for MBA's. The company loses its best consultants every year to higher education. The industry standard is sponsorship for top-performers.

Great work-life and people. It ends there.

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at BearingPoint

Pros

1. There are many bright employees at roughly the same stage in their careers, roughly 5-10 years experience. This creates a collegial, respectful environment.
    2. The work-life balance was great. Maybe not at first, but once you got into the groove and were hitting high chargeability/utilization, the company, and my sector particular was very accomodating with scheduling work weeks and vacation.

Cons

1. There is little to no development, mentorship, or training of talent. The highly touted Yale series was simply another venue for subpar training. Many consulting companies fail to develop talent under the guise that they are "hiring experts and experienced personnel." This faulty logic means many firms are missing out on opportunity to truly create knowledgeable, confident staff.
    2. Related to training, the bilnd tend to lead the blind. You are considered an expert if you've done something once.
    3. Perofmance reviews occur under a banner of transparency, but they are anything close to that. Manager board meetings are held behind closed doors and you are given little insight into the outcome. Bonuses are given in large pools related to ranking rather than your individual, specific accomplishments. Therefore, you could perform awesomely for 12 months straight, win new work, create intellictual capital, etc; and, because you have the same rating as some lackey who files papers who has a good relatinoship with their manager you both will be paid equally.

It became very obvious towards the end (bankruptcy) that our senior managment had no idea how to run a large company. Because I was pleased with my individual sector and team I stuck around, but I lost out pretty big because of it. Looking back, many of the communicatios from senior management were overly optimistic, at best, to downright misleading, at worst. I once heard an analogy from leadership that they excelled at "building the ship while sailing." Guess what? If you haven't sealed the boat before you leave dry dock, it's going to sink.

Not bad, definitely could be worse.

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Not a big corporate machine. Good work usually gets you noticed. I have worked for BearingPoint for 2 years and have gotten commended when doing a good job. There is also a good mix of business consulting which isn't always easy to find, especially strategy work for a younger employee.

Cons

Company is in turmoil. Uncertainty about the company's future. Sincy the company financials have been such a disaster, sometimes you wonder if when you come to work you'll find out that you work for someone else. Also it is embarrasing for clients to look at our financial performance or articles online and then ask questions.

Sr. Management needs to be more open and honest about the situations at hand. I know they can only say so much but everything can't be great all the time like they make it out to be.

good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

reputation and good client base. Good internal technical support

Cons

too many mandatory company training courses related to policies and procedures

policy enformnets are too rigid.

Great place to coast. Go elsewhere if you want to be challenged.

Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

BearingPoint is a great place to work if you want to coast. The work is not that challenging and there is great flexibility in work/life balance. It also seems that we have a great amount of vacation time which, we can carry 125% of into the next year. You also get paid unused vacation if you decide to leave the company.

Cons

Leadership is especially lacking in the junior ranks (i.e. manager, senior consultant level). BearingPoint touts their management training program with Yale, but in reality I have yet to see any significant changes from those who have attended. Development for the workforce is also lacking in specific functional areas...there seems to be a lot of useless online courses, but no specific developmental training for functional career tracks.

BearingPoint is very top heavy. Senior management needs to develop those at the bottom of the ranks in order to foster a more rewarding experience, which will increase retention and build a stronger foundation for future leaders.

Let the whining begin.

Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at BearingPoint

Pros

In chaos, there is opportunity. There is a problem-solving ethos that at times is inspiring. The ethos is especially heartening when used to solve internal problems, but doing so takes the talent away from profit making client services. Teaming across practice lines can result in rewarding outcomes for clients, despite the weirdly non-corporate internal stovepipes. When it works, it works well and clients appreciate the "art" we're able to bring to their problems.

Cons

Well, the stock purchase plan would be a downside now. Other than that practical item, there's the arrogance of senior leadership, the ridiculousness of re-branding (from tan and black to red) rather than getting the finances in order. And then there were all those upbeat but wrong messages from Harry You (some from the golf course) as financial statements repeatedly failed to satisfy investors or regulators.The government clients' decision cycles lead to periods of downtime that are filled with make work internal projects; the internal project management and financial programs are notoriously user-hostile and understood only by people who've been with the firm since the mid 90's. Internal IT capability and support is way below par, (and this for an IT consulting company no less).

Sell the business to a competent organization.

Entry level bearingpoint review

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

The pay is great and the work is interesting. At bearingpoint one can have the ability to grow and learn many new areas if you are hired into the techincal aspect of the company. Also, the company is good for younger right out of college employees. Bearingpoint gives recent college graduates the ability to get top experience that they would not gain from your regular lower level management program that many companies offer to college graduates.

Cons

The hours can be great and some of work can be unsatisfying. Also the pay can be great for employees hired at levels of consultant and above but lower level salaries can vary greatly

i would recommend that all senior management hired at senior manager or above have the ablity to sell bearingpoint to clients and grow the business.

A career at BearingPoint

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

It's really easy to keep a work/life balance- managers are supportive in you taking time off or if you need a bit of flexibility in your schedule. Also, there is a lot of flexibility and ability to move around in different sectors. Bearing Point also has a lot of training classes and certifications, and they stress that learning is very important.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to get into the position you want- sometimes they just put you in a position for a year or a year and a half because they need someone there, but you are overqualified. It is also highly based on senority- just because you are more qualified, you may not get a position on a team because someone who is less qualified but has been with the company longer gets it.

nothing

Great people but client-site management could use some help

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at BearingPoint

Pros

Best part of BearingPoint was the people. I've made more lifelong friends there than all other of my employers combined. In addition, management seems to promote a strong work-life balance.

Cons

Management tends to separate junior staff from the client on client site. As a senior management analyst, I attended very few meeting involving the client. I usually received tasks second hand from my manager rather than hearing it directly from the client. This unfortunately caused unnecessary work for everyone when delivering a product. BearingPoint also tends to take performance and business development in consideration more than actual management skills when it comes to promotions.

Senior Management needs to realize talent and use it to the best of their ability before it's too late.

BearingPoint is opportunity and commraderie.

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

They are active in almost every field of consulting imaginable and they provide the opportunity to try your hand in new roles and industries. They are fast to recognize talent and they do their best to hold on to talent once it has been identified. This usually shows itself through salary increases and promotional fast tracking.

Cons

It is a consultancy so you can feel a bit uncertain about where you are going to be staffed when you current engagement runs out. This usually only happens if you are not performance at or above the lowest quarter of your peer group.

Continue to provide guidance in an easy and friendly manner.

BearingPoint Photos