BearingPoint Reviews in Atlanta, GA

3.5

BearingPoint Managing Partner Peter Mockler
Peter Mockler

Pros
  • Work/life balance probably a bit better than competitors (in 47 reviews)

• There are many opportunities to learn and it's a great place to start out at (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management (probably the reason went bankrupt); territorial attitudes of managing directors (in 27 reviews)

• Compensations, trainings and work-life balance depends on your boss and not from your personal qualities (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good consulting firm gone by the wayside

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BearingPoint

Pros

Like all consulting firms, BearingPoint offered fantastic experience to interact with many different clients. I worked for 15-20 Fortune 500 clients during my 4 years at BearingPoint.

Cons

BearingPoint unfortunately struggled with poor management communication as it worked through multiple CEOs, internal reorgs, etc. At times you worked very long hours and were under high stress conditions. The nonstop travel definitely got a little tedious at times.

The one thing I wish BearingPoint did more of was work to make it a fun work environment like Deloitte and other consulting firms. There were very few activities, social events, etc. in our office and I only really got to know people on my specific projects.

Lucky to have a job

Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for BearingPoint are getting to work for a lot of Fortune 500 Companies. The work life balance is good with lots of vacation. The Per diem is also very nice when you're on the road. The salaries are also quite competitive considering they have to overcompensate people to not leave the company.

Cons

The job stability and overall health of the company is very much a reason for concern. There has also been quite a talent flight to the competitors over the past year. There is basically zero job stability for anyone on the bench

Sell off the business units as quickly as possible

A pretty good employer, if they're around in 12 months.

Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

BearingPoint has great training programs, especially for new hires. Within my first year as a BE employee, I attended a 3-day orientation in Washington DC, a five day training on general consulting skills (also in Washington), and a 5 day technical training offered by an outside vendor for a technology we were looking to implement internally and for the client. For the first year, I think you would be hard pressed to find a company willing to invest as much training time and money in employees. I also enjoy working with the people I work with on a day-to-day basis. They also offer great vacation for new hires (4 weeks, straight out of school is not too shabby). They make you set annual goals, which can involve a lot of effort, but it's good for keeping you focused on what you need to be doing to advance.

Cons

LAME 401K! The matching (especially compared with my girlfriend's 401K (she will be working for KPMG) is weak (25% of contributions of up to 5% of pretax), especially coupled with a five year vesting period (KPMG, fully vested from day one). They claim to be a company that supports work-from-home programs, but my senior manager was not willing to even consider it. There is a lot of BS admin work, even for people working billable hours on the client.

Communicate more with employees and be more present. In the past several weeks we've been facing a turbulant stock price and rumors of acquisition, but communications from the executive group are mostly "dont worry, keep working".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BearingPoint: Good for a few years, but no long-term benefit.

Current Employee - Technical Architect  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

In my group, there is lots of interesting work and great people. Travel isn't too onerous, and base comp is good. Experience levels of the people are substantially higher than other consulting organizations I have worked for (or with).

Cons

In the time I've been here there have been small or no bonuses and raises. There are many terrible internal processes and procedures, and poor company performance makes for distractions, low morale, and difficulties dealing with some clients.

Focus on getting the financials fixed and the stock price up, or instead position the company for acquisition. One other option might be to take BearingPoint private. At any rate, the current financial condition of the company is a huge distraction and is the root cause of many of the other problems. "Job one" is to get those fixed, post-haste.

Solid approval for company, despite current corporate turbulence - great future ahead.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Marietta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Good learning environment for the consulting field - plenty of structure provided, but not a totalitarian "my way or the highway" environment. Management tends to be very pragmatic.

Cons

Currently experiencing corporate-level turbulence, getting in the way of how the company as a whole is viewed. As well, some internal business units are still reorganizing after the most recent CEO transition and related trickle-down.

Communicate more proactively - have been making great strides, but don't stop. Provide greater rewards for longevity with the company and make the rewards prominent during review process and elsewhere as one way to reduce turnover. The turnover rate is still too high.

We are BearingPoint

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

The training opportunities and people I work with are the best reasons. We have plenty of work socials as well. The per diem for travel days and 4 weeks vacation beat industry jobs. My direct management and managing director have been great at making sure the good people on the team stay happy.

Cons

One of the downsides of most consulting industry jobs are being away from home and your family for three nights per week. BearingPoint has not have much of a bonus program in the three years that I have been here. There is also some instability of the company's future with everyone jumping ship.

Give us some kind of validation that the company is going to be around in 5 years

A long strange trip

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BearingPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, ability to work remotely, individual teams worked very well together and were a tight knit group. Company meetings were always interesting events.

Cons

Poor upper management team, dishonesty in the information they communicated to the employees regarding the state of the business. Repeatedly told everyone that we were not going to go bankrupt or be sold, when in fact, they were planning to bankrupt the company.

Consulting firms should always be privately held organizations

Intern

Current Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good people and interesting work

Cons

Bad management and instability with the firm

BearingPoint wasn't a bad place

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BearingPoint

Pros

Enjoyed my team, compensation and work environment while at BearingPoint. Had the opportunity to work with great professionals and enjoyable clients.

Cons

Leadership lacked proper vision to enable the firm to prosper. Went through restructuring every six months which constantly distracted from execution.

At this stage I hope that management can unwind the company with minimal impact on the remaining staff and clients.

Basic BearingPoint

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Work and life balance is one of the most positive things at BE. Time off is easily granted for family emergencies as well as planned vacation. ANother great reason to work at BE is the Performance managers and Managing Directors have an open door to discuss any topics. I would have to admit there are a lot of opportunities at BE that allow employees to gain knowledge and expirence with different and new clients and projects. Many BearingPoint Engagement managers allow employees on a project to drive their own hours, as long as the complete their deliverables while staying focused on their other responsibilities.

Cons

It's hard to receive big raises even though you performed at a very high level. Reviews are only completed once a year and raises have been minimal the past couple of years. Bonues are hard to come by unless you have senior management in corner. As for projects, it's tough to be on a project that you really want to be on. Currently, bench time is considered taboo and many employees have to find a project to jump on wether it would help their career or not. Needless to say, there are many people staffed on projects that would not benefit one's career.

You need to intrust responsibility to lower level workers. Executive management needs to be more up front with employees abou the financial situation and other copany issues.

Worked for BearingPoint? Contribute to the Community!