BearingPoint

BearingPoint Reviews in Atlanta, GA

3.5

BearingPoint Managing Partner Peter Mockler
Peter Mockler

Pros
  • Work/life balance probably a bit better than competitors (in 47 reviews)

• There are many opportunities to learn and it's a great place to start out at (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management (probably the reason went bankrupt); territorial attitudes of managing directors (in 27 reviews)

• Compensations, trainings and work-life balance depends on your boss and not from your personal qualities (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

BE still has a long way to go.

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

The people at the client service level are some of the best.

Cons

Constant pressure of RIFs. Can't staff a project because we have zero bench strength. Attrition is very high. Employee satisfaction is very low. The company is being run like a 'body shop' not a real consultancy. Very poor financial management. Corporate accounting is pushed down to the project level. Solution delivery methodology is dead (or best case dying) due to the lack of continued investment (yes ProvenCourse was a start, but it quickly became a confusing marketing tool).

Stop hiring MDs / VPs and promote from within. Cut costs at the corp level, not the delivery staff; there is tremendous waste in this area. Stop wasting money giving severance packages to senior executives only to continually fire them and pay them out.

Always struggling to be successful impacted many opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BearingPoint full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good hard working people
    industry focus brought good value to customers

Cons

Financial struggles impacted success - limited travel when clients are in other states, rounds of layoffs

A great place to start your career, but don't stay here long

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

variety of different projects to work on, challenging opportunities with diddifcult clients that help you build patience and tolerance

Cons

the company is floundering and the high talent in management has left for other companies. That leave teh good old boys to run the accounts, engagement teams, sectors, etc.

Stop managing presence and start managing productivity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There is more to managing than giving a great power point presentation

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

If you can land the right assignment, it is a good place to start. Make sure that you work closely with your resource manager to get great assignments that will advance your career.

Cons

Poor senior leadership. Most know the consulting business, but have no clue as to how to manage an organization. For a company that its major asset is human capital, they have no understanding of basic human resource management.
    Make sure that you work closely with your resource manager to get the right assignments to advance your career. You will really have to apply yourself to make this happen. Leadership is not likely to move you to an assignment that will advance your career if you are working at another client. Try to avoid being bounced around from PM's or MD's as much as possible. You can very easily fall through the cracks and not get noticed for salary reviews and promotions.

Establish a discipline within the organization, and execute on your plans.

The company that could, should, but doesn't.

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

It's strong presence in the public services sector. BearingPoint has good opportunities in the government sector and has had a strong track-record with public sector organizations.

Cons

it's disintegrated structure, particularly of its delivery personnel.

Do not wait for others to set the conversation tone about your message; be the first to define and communicate your message. Fire incompetent senior management, icebergs, and any other individuals who are roadblocks to progressive thinking and delivery at BearingPoint. Take organizational communication more seriously than it is currently.

Interesting experience at BearingPoint

Current Employee - Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

In my view, with present economic conditions and current status of BE's, there are still a few reasons to work for BearingPoint. One reasonable reason to work for Bearingpoint at this time would be that if you believe you can help make a difference in turning the company around. Ed, the present CEO, has a difficult task at hand, and can use the help. Another reasonable reason to work for BE at the time of crisis would be to help lead the change and execute on the strategy brought forth by Ed. If you have researched the company, understand the risks ahead, and believe in Ed, then BE will not disappoint you and provide you opportunities to get engaged on projects, possibly aligned with your strengths. I entered BE to strengthen my knowledge of various industries in a short timeframe. As other consulting firms and inherent nature of the business, I was pleased with presented opportunities.

Cons

In my opinion and personal experience with BE, it lacks a fair/complete performance evaluation process. In addition, I do not agree with metrics used to evaluate performance of employees at all level. E.g. Sustaining growth number during declining economy, while addressing increasing attrition is an unrealistic expectation. By no means, is it an easy task to provide a fair career progression model for 17000+ employees but fixing fundamental issues with the model and communicating reasons for the chosen metrics is an equitable request.

Furthermore, most practice leaders I have worked with rather show profitability in the responsible area with less concern to companies outlook as a whole. Some in my opinion do not understand what it means to be a publically traded companies much less the associated responsibilities. Sr. Mgmt lacks the enthusiasm and devotion to harness and grow younger talent to help make a better future for BE.

Executives of BE: I have no interaction at this level but would advice ED to ensure he has a strong team to lead us through these tough times. The chosen team must validate that how business is being performed which is more than evaluating numbers provided on dashboards. At this time, one must evaluate qualitative measures as well as quantitative. Numbers are a good indication but poor mgmt at various levels may not provide a clear picture. E.g. Pro-active monitoring of projects with frequent evaluations can help avoid\control loss apparent at later stages due to mismanagements.

VP's/MD's: Let's realize that we all must work together to withstand this storm. We must bring issues that need attention to light so Exec mgmt can address them. E.g. Let's ensure BE internals employee are of a better value on fixed engagements than a SUB. Processes and policies must change to accommodate needs of company. Finally, all of us must realize that we are not a private company and begin owning responsibility of a publically traded company. Corporate office has realized this but unfortunately the consulting practice needs to catchup.

A long strange trip

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BearingPoint full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, ability to work remotely, individual teams worked very well together and were a tight knit group. Company meetings were always interesting events.

Cons

Poor upper management team, dishonesty in the information they communicated to the employees regarding the state of the business. Repeatedly told everyone that we were not going to go bankrupt or be sold, when in fact, they were planning to bankrupt the company.

Consulting firms should always be privately held organizations

Intern

Current Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good people and interesting work

Cons

Bad management and instability with the firm

BearingPoint wasn't a bad place

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at BearingPoint

Pros

Enjoyed my team, compensation and work environment while at BearingPoint. Had the opportunity to work with great professionals and enjoyable clients.

Cons

Leadership lacked proper vision to enable the firm to prosper. Went through restructuring every six months which constantly distracted from execution.

At this stage I hope that management can unwind the company with minimal impact on the remaining staff and clients.

Basic BearingPoint

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Work and life balance is one of the most positive things at BE. Time off is easily granted for family emergencies as well as planned vacation. ANother great reason to work at BE is the Performance managers and Managing Directors have an open door to discuss any topics. I would have to admit there are a lot of opportunities at BE that allow employees to gain knowledge and expirence with different and new clients and projects. Many BearingPoint Engagement managers allow employees on a project to drive their own hours, as long as the complete their deliverables while staying focused on their other responsibilities.

Cons

It's hard to receive big raises even though you performed at a very high level. Reviews are only completed once a year and raises have been minimal the past couple of years. Bonues are hard to come by unless you have senior management in corner. As for projects, it's tough to be on a project that you really want to be on. Currently, bench time is considered taboo and many employees have to find a project to jump on wether it would help their career or not. Needless to say, there are many people staffed on projects that would not benefit one's career.

You need to intrust responsibility to lower level workers. Executive management needs to be more up front with employees abou the financial situation and other copany issues.

Worked for BearingPoint? Contribute to the Community!