BearingPoint

www.bearingpoint.com

BearingPoint Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 8, 2014
BearingPoint – Moscow – “Business center legion”

BearingPoint – Moscow – “Business center legion”

BearingPoint Managing Partner Peter Mockler

Peter Mockler

Pros
  • Work/life balance probably a bit better than competitors (in 47 reviews)

• There are many opportunities to learn and it's a great place to start out at (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor senior management (probably the reason went bankrupt); territorial attitudes of managing directors (in 27 reviews)

• Compensations, trainings and work-life balance depends on your boss and not from your personal qualities (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights
129 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

BE Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Proscompetent people, collegial environment and fun working environment. Opportunities to volunteer for new projects and develop your career if you really work at it.

Consif you don't have a military background you can feel out of [lace. do not get rewarded for advanced degrees etc. and they try to lowball on salary in the beginning.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment

Constant Struggle

Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLow wall culture, flexibility on projects, informal

Consraises and bonuses were pitiful, performance feedback and assessment process only based on one persons feedback for most part, even a little bench time can mean a layoff

Advice to Senior Managementyou did a great job getting us over to Deloitte, it's worlds better there

BE Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsFriendly work environment that really helps one stay focused on the task at hand: getting a job once the company goes totally under.

ConsBankruptcy and other small problems with financial miscalculations, SOX compliance issues... not much in the way of a future here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake her down easy and enjoy that windfall of cash once the company has been completely sold and liquidated to the creditors, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Consultant

Business Consultant (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsBearingPoint had pretty decent pay for the industry. Company issued a laptop computer, which made it convenient to telecommute periodically.

ConsHoteling was difficult. As a BearingPoint business consultant I did not have a home office space on a permenent basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to work from home on Federal holidays during which their client host offices are closed, yet not a holiday for BearingPoint.

BE Not so good for growth

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Prosgood place to work as a recent grad

Conspoor place for growth...not conducive to keeping seasoned employees..management won't hesistate to step over their employees to futher their own growth but will squash anyone who tries to move forward

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of your seasoned emloyees

Great work-life and people. It ends there.

Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

Pros1. There are many bright employees at roughly the same stage in their careers, roughly 5-10 years experience. This creates a collegial, respectful environment.
    2. The work-life balance was great. Maybe not at first, but once you got into the groove and were hitting high chargeability/utilization, the company, and my sector particular was very accomodating with scheduling work weeks and vacation.

Cons1. There is little to no development, mentorship, or training of talent. The highly touted Yale series was simply another venue for subpar training. Many consulting companies fail to develop talent under the guise that they are "hiring experts and experienced personnel." This faulty logic means many firms are missing out on opportunity to truly create knowledgeable, confident staff.
    2. Related to training, the bilnd tend to lead the blind. You are considered an expert if you've done something once.
    3. Perofmance reviews occur under a banner of transparency, but they are anything close to that. Manager board meetings are held behind closed doors and you are given little insight into the outcome. Bonuses are given in large pools related to ranking rather than your individual, specific accomplishments. Therefore, you could perform awesomely for 12 months straight, win new work, create intellictual capital, etc; and, because you have the same rating as some lackey who files papers who has a good relatinoship with their manager you both will be paid equally.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt became very obvious towards the end (bankruptcy) that our senior managment had no idea how to run a large company. Because I was pleased with my individual sector and team I stuck around, but I lost out pretty big because of it. Looking back, many of the communicatios from senior management were overly optimistic, at best, to downright misleading, at worst. I once heard an analogy from leadership that they excelled at "building the ship while sailing." Guess what? If you haven't sealed the boat before you leave dry dock, it's going to sink.

BE creditors don't want former employees to get their earned PTO or Severence!

Manager (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe ability to service clients from any location. Depending on your job and clientele, you could work from anywhere on your own hours and management supported this. The comraderie (inspite of the backstabbing by some) made it a decent place to work. BE really understood the family work balance.

ConsThe backstabbing from senior management to prevent anyone from leapfrogging over them in promotions, despite being unqualified to lead your team. Also the pay is better than Booz but way less than a Deloitte or PWC.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. Stop derailing your subordinates' careers and do your job of motivating and creating company personnel that can contribute to bringing in money. Also after going bankrupt despite record sales by some of your employees, the creditors have asked the bankruptcy judge to order BE not to pay employees severence or their earned PTO. A lot of us, already earn a lot less than our colleagues elsewhere, dedicated ourselves to BE taking ridiculous 4-7% raises and little or no bonuses while being denied promotions b/c of BE's problems, deserve to have our PTO paid to us. We worked hard and took little leave and made our division profitable, it's not our fault that inspite of this the company went bankrupt. If I had left the company before the bankruptcy court, I'd of been paid out my PTO, but since I was loyal and despite the court originally approving it, I'm not being robbed.

Good place to start a career..

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood place to start a career.

ConsSalary and benefits are not as robust as competitors in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not like to take accountability for problems when they occur. Many times actions are reactive rather than proactive...even when issues have been brought to the attention of management. I believe many situations could have been mitigated or alleviated otherwise.

Let's hope Deloitte allows us to keep our Culture but Pays us better!

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLike most consulting firms, the ability to have exposure to a vast number of industries and clients, is one to best reasons to work at BearingPoint. Also, they are pretty good about employees work/life balance needs (i.e. Telecommunting, Maternity leave, etc.)

ConsThey pay is pretty bad (compared to industry standards) and the promotion criteria seems to be very skewed. Some times it about performance, some times about how long you've been there, some times it's about who you knao, and some times it's about just being lucky. They run on a platform of promotion through performance but I don't see that most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, it's not worth it. However, I think Ed has made the best he could of a crappy situation

So long, thanks for the fish.

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsLow walls culture, decent pay and benefits. BE has been good to me, sorry to see it all get broken up and sold off. Like most companies, it is all about the strength of your local management. I have been generally treated as a competent adult, and allowed to make my own path. Your mileage may very.

ConsWorking for a company in bankruptcy is always a bad idea. The firm is getting sold off piece-by-piece, which is probably the right move. The back office costs were too high, so it makes sense to graft the worthwhile (revenue generating) parts onto a healthy organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for fighting the good fight, we really needed you about 3 years before you showed up. Better luck next time.

Worked for BearingPoint? Contribute to the Community!