BearingPoint Reviews

• Washington, DC Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. So long, thanks for the fish.

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Low walls culture, decent pay and benefits. BE has been good to me, sorry to see it all get broken up and sold off. Like most companies, it is all about the strength of your local management. I have been generally treated as a competent adult, and allowed to make my own path. Your mileage may very.

Cons

Working for a company in bankruptcy is always a bad idea. The firm is getting sold off piece-by-piece, which is probably the right move. The back office costs were too high, so it makes sense to graft the worthwhile (revenue generating) parts onto a healthy organization.

Advice to Management

Thanks for fighting the good fight, we really needed you about 3 years before you showed up. Better luck next time.

2. Good place to start a career..

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Good place to start a career.

Cons

Salary and benefits are not as robust as competitors in the industry.

Advice to Management

Management does not like to take accountability for problems when they occur. Many times actions are reactive rather than proactive...even when issues have been brought to the attention of management. I believe many situations could have been mitigated or alleviated otherwise.

3. A mixed bag with a bleak future

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Opportunities for advancement -- perversely due to attrition

Cons

constant internal management struggles surrounding our debt; bad senior managers and MDs

Advice to Management

Fix the collective mess that is corporate services, commercial services (outside Japan), financial services, and our debt.

5. Be review

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

Great people and support in reaching career goals and development. Management does a great job of communicating with all of the employees regarding any issues or changes. Everyone gets along with each othet and there are many bright and talented people working in the company.

Cons

Lack of networking opportunities..compensation..no tuition reimbursement..work life balance. Career path is not defined and you end up doing many generalist type of work coming in as a college graduate. Those who cry and whine get noticed and those who derserve to get promoted faster then others usually dont because management feel they havnt been at the company long enough. Its hard to get into the field of work that you really want to get into because of the lack of yraining opportunities or management dont want to take the time to train somebody. Performance review is done by someone that doesnt even work on the same project as you.

Advice to Management

Provide more compensation..awards and bonuses. Provide more and effective training opportunities, net working opportunities. Create more defined career paths for employees

6. BearingPoint. Good

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

People. Everybody helps everyone and you can succeed w/o tearing down your peers. Leaders professional and respectful. I think the promotions within my group have been managed very fairly. Usually no problem adjusting your schedule for appointments, etc. The amount of vacation also is a plus.

Cons

Public services likely to be purchased by Deloitte Consulting becasue of the Chapter 11. Uncertainity where we stand. Bonuses have been very low due to the long-term debt problem. Government contracts are stable work but the are difficult to manage. The margins are low compared to private sector. Master's degreee is no value to the company.

Advice to Management

Don't reinvent the wheel with Deloitte. AlexPartners or somebody else should pretty much have templates.

7. A Tale of Two Companies

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

BearingPoint is full of smart, hard working people. It's large enough that there are many opportunities, particularly in the Washington, DC, area.

Cons

BearingPoint is a company full of smart, hard working people that are exhausted by the drama and uncertainty caused by the company's continued internal financial woes. The constant cloud of rumors, uncertainty, along with the dismal financial benefits over the past few years as a result of the financial problems, is making it very hard for staff to try to "see it through" to the other side of this scary tunnel, particularly during the current economic conditions and with no certainty as to what the company will look like on the other side.

Advice to Management

Focus on strategies for how to retain your best people; work harder to be transparent and dispel rumors while the company goes through its bankruptcy pains.

8. Manager At BearingPoint

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

As a hole BearingPoint is an excellent company to work for. They are understanding of the work / life balance and they encourage their employees to take care of themselves. They are not much of an up or out consultancy. Since it is not a partnership, they promote people based on merit if there is space in the leadership group for the promotion. As for staffing, they are excellent about finding engagements for people that were on a team that is no longer together, whether the contract was over or the contract was lost. They prefer to staff current employees prior to looking outside the company for talent.

Cons

In solutions it is hard to see a clear line of determining where work will come from. I know there is a perceived need to build a network, but when you are not client facing, as is the solutions group, it is hard to determine when and where you will be able to generate work from. With that in mind, it is difficult to try and drum up "new" business and secure forward progression on your career path. I cannot say that this is an issue for the company as a whole, but I would say that it is present throughout the Solutions group.

Advice to Management

I would have liked them to disconnect the PS group from the rest of the country, much much earlier.

9. BearingPoint review

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

My colleagues and peers are great and I respect them.

Cons

Management above Manager level is not great; communication is terrible.

Advice to Management

Take more time and effort to show appreciation toward Managers and staff, letting them know they are valuable.

10. Great place to start or end a career

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

-Low barrier to entry
    -Good place to start a career (or to end one)

From the people I've met, the public services sector (working with the government) appears to be pretty easy to get into, especially if you've ever worked for the government or served in the military. This can make it an attractive place to start if you're straight out of college, or straight out of the military.

Cons

-Deteriorating reputation
    -Lack of company culture
    -General instability

There seems to be a propensity of younger resources (cheap labor) and older resources (people who peaked long ago and have nowhere better to go), but there seem to be fewer people in the middle range (27-35 year olds).

Advice to Management

Take care of your lower-level resources. If you treat them like you're expecting them to quit, they will.

Good way to start

Current Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at BearingPoint

Pros

I truthfully owe much to BearingPoint, INC. They helped me grow so that I will be better prepared when I move on. The people are what make BearingPoint, because there are some days where it can be plain miserable, but the people help you through that.

Cons

The pay isn't as great as it could be, but you have to start somewhere. Also, BE does not expense anything, it's a little disappointing traveling further than you expected and BE being very inconsistent about pay, but want you to squander money by travelling. But once again--you're starting somewhere.

Advice to Management

Provide more direction

RSS Feed </> Embed