Beauty Brands Reviews

Updated March 3, 2015
61 reviews filtered by
Lyn Kirby

Pros
  • The discounts on products and services was the best, and really, only benefit of working for Beauty Brands on an hourly basis (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits and great discount (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • the pay, for sure (which is minimum wage) (in 6 reviews)

• No commission on selling retail, salons need updated (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company with great benefits

I have been working at Beauty Brands

Pros

Love being able to work in an industry that allows me to help make people feel good about themselves. Fun, energetic and fast paced

Cons

Too many changes all at one time. Sometimes feel like voice isn't heard, not enough support

2. Good Experience, but low pay for work...

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, CO

I worked at Beauty Brands

Pros

Great retail, full salon, great seasonal sales

Cons

Corporate and owners that have no salon/spa experience

One of the best and worst jobs I've had

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Beauty Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Associate discounts for products and services, coworkers are nice and we usually have a lot of events and parties together away from work, can be trendy with clothes and makeup

Cons

Work a lot with little pay, miscommunication or messages fail to get out between corporate, management, and staff, not an industry that promotes well. If they are going to promote you, it will be within the first month you start. Other then that, you will stay in the same position forever. Unless you are working in the salon and spa, that's a different scenario.

It would be nice if there wasn't so much miscommunication. Another thing is that some managers can be forgetful so if you need something specific from them you have to ask multiple times. Another thing is it would be better to promote from the inside out and be able to give us the proper training. Some have been training to be a manager for almost a year now. Specific programs would be nice.

5. You decide what you want to make

Former Employee - Stylist
    Former Employee - Stylist

I worked at Beauty Brands

Pros

Clientele, marketing and benefits offered

Cons

They take a big portion of what you make. too many employees sharing stations

Focus more on building the stylists uo you have

6. Consistently improving salon and retail quality, but lacks store level employee appreciation

Current Employee - Beauty Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Beauty Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Beauty Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

low stress, flexible hours, health insurance for full time, free products, free educational opportunities

Cons

few/small raises, not much room for job growth, high turnover right, short staffed at times

consider better distribution of budget, reward high achieving employees and your business will grow, otherwise everyone is left feeling unappreciated.

Chaos and disrespect

Former Employee - Location Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Location Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Beauty Brands full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Loved my staff and peers, exciting new products, passionate for industry.

Cons

Very poor work life balance. Company became very disorganized. Nearly impossible to find qualified employees for such high expectations and low wages. Repairs from maintenance would take months and multiple follow ups before taken care of, leaving mold on ceiling, in carpet, and water dripping on clients heads. It was totally unacceptable. New ownership made promises that they simply did not keep.

Recognize that you have some very qualified, talented, and passionate location managers working for you. Treat them well, let them see their families, give them support, and pay them fairly. Have some respect for their time and talent. The turnover is killing the morale in store. Get out of Kansas City and actually visit your stores in all of the other markets. Ask your people for their feedback and ideas and see what is working and what is not. And please... find someone qualified to run maintenance. Get to know your people!!!

8. Assistant Manager.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Beauty Brands full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The District Manager is wonderful. She listens to all comments and concerns and makes sure to communicate them with home office. 50% off of services is wonderful. Paid vacation and holidays are always a plus. New brands and services are continuously being added so you always have something exciting to offer the client. Classes every month are a great way to learn about the products and the gratis is the best way to try them for yourself.

Cons

Only 25% off of regularly priced merchandise. Beauty brands employs licensed professionals so the discount should be competitive with supply houses. Quantities during sales need to be monitored better. There are constantly upset clients who want a product on sale but we run out before the sale is over. The inventory process is awful! Managers work until 3-4am and have to be back by 7am to work a 9 hour shift. Need better monitoring on shipments from DC to help with inventory control. Quantities transferred via computer never match the actual quantities delivered.

Pay needs increased for all managers at store level. You can't get employees with longevity without better pay. You also can't expect salaried managers to work over 50 hours to accommodate the changes being made without compensation. Budgets need to be more realistic. This is affecting bonuses, you're not going to keep managers by giving them high goals and not giving them the resources to achieve them. Remodels need to come sooner than later, clients aren't going to take the company serious if they are offering luxurious services, but not providing them in a luxurious setting.

9. I have nothing but negative things to say.

Former Employee - Staff Stylist in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Stylist in Katy, TX

I worked at Beauty Brands part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Classy appearance of store and salon.
    Free personal services.

Cons

Awful pay.
    Discounts are a joke because stylists can get our products cheaper at armstrong mccall and RDA promart.
    Even if you are part-time you practically work full time with awful part-time pay.
    Receptionist mis-inform clients and guest with unrealistic service timing and results because they know NOTHING about hair.
    Managers are unprofessional and have unrealistic expectations about training and how quick someone should catch on to things for example the company BB partnered with to train us for sem- permanent "eye lash extensions" said their certification program was 6 months long and to train was 3 months but beauty brands wanted us certified in 30days.
    You are expected to walk the retail floor and sell to your clients and random retail guests even though you get no commision on retail what so ever.

Hire actual experienced cosmetologists for receptionist and manager jobs who have insight on the industry in order to be able to have realistic expectations. I guarantee the company would have a turn up.

10. I love my job and the people who make this such a great company!

Current Employee - Location Manager
    Current Employee - Location Manager

I have been working at Beauty Brands full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Associate discounts! Career opportunities! Getting paid to be fashionable and trendy! Awards and conferences!

Cons

Pay could be better.

11. Good high school job

Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Client Service Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Beauty Brands part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, little employee turnover within the 6 months I was employed.

Cons

Very routine, not much opportunity for growth, minimum wage

Location manager was very hard to please

Beauty Brands Photos

Lots of blowdrying
The talent is amazing!
Well worth the price for the experience!

+ Add Photo