Beauty Brands

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Lyn Kirby

You get what you pay for

Shift Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, generally pleasant clientele, upbeat work environment, motivating location manager and assistant manager, friendly and personable salon staff

ConsVery low hourly pay. A keyholding shift manager should be making more than $8.25/hr or there will be a lot of turnover. Same for CSS's, you get what you pay for. Understandable for seasonal positions, but employees will stick around longer and create a better workplace environment if they're getting paid appropriately for their time and expertise. Facilities haven't been updated since the store was opened years ago.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate compensation more than annually, and raise your base pay. Also, updated salon and retail floor and OUTDOOR VISIBLE SINAGE I feel would drastically increase amount of foot traffic into the store. You've got to spend money to make money.

Loved the positoon

Product Knowledge Specialist (Former Employee) Lone Tree, CO

ProsI was a Product Knowledge Specialist and loved my position

ConsUnfortunately there were many younger women working alongside me and there was a little bit of animosity from them towards me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat each of your employees equally.

Great Company, Moving Forward

Beauty Specialist (Current Employee) Lawrence, KS

ProsThe company is growing quickly with a lot of advancement opportunities. The people are great and with all the new products, customers are happier than ever.

ConsThe hours can be a little long and if you don't show your worth and work hard the pay won't be worth it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dead End Hourly Job

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsThe discounts on products and services was the best, and really, only benefit of working for Beauty Brands on an hourly basis. I would recommend Beauty Brands for a hairstylist, nail tech, or esthetician, but not to deal with the customers on the retail floor.

ConsThough I was cross-trained to do just about every job outside of the salon, I was never given a raise above minimum wage in the two years I worked for Beauty Brands.

Good job to have as a student.

Retail Associate (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsFlexibility with hours, manager at the time was incredibly friendly and helpful.

ConsCoworkers changed fairly frequently - a bit of a revolving door.

Outstanding experience in a family culture for 17 years.

Executive (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsFamily Culture, and great people to work with.

ConsCompany was sold to private equity.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain the family culture and the great people that built the company.

Miserable excuse for a company.

Beauty Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the employees were wonderful, caring individuals. I could go to work and be with friends.

Good exposure to products

Great job if you're in high school and need some spending money. Don't expect to pay the bills with this one.

The clientele was tolerable. I only got screamed at by a few customers during my time there.

ConsManagement does not support their employees. If the employee doesn't fit into their little clique, looks different or is an "independent thinker", they are abused until they're forced to leave and pushed out. If you express your discontent, expect to be argued with by immature and poorly trained management.

They pick and choose the rules they want to follow, whether it is dress code or protocol.

If you want to move up in the company, expect them to drag their feet, lie to you, and make you feel guilty. If you want to go to school, even if it's something that would benefit the company (cosmetology, business,) expect that to be even more of a hassle. They may even offer to demote you after you've devoted your life to them!

The pay is abysmal. Employees that work hard, that are there 40+ hours a week and are passionate and devoted to their work, make barely or at minimum wage. They make the same amount as teenagers in high school that apply their makeup in the mirror all day.

The decor is dated, and tacky. The polyester vests straight out of the 80's that they make you wear are cheaply made, and if they get ruined, which they do, quickly, expect to be charged $50+ out of your paycheck for a new one.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Learn to identify quality employees. Raise wages and you might not have to hire a whole new staff every few weeks because so many people have walked out. Learn to respect people. Get some new, updated, modern decor and you'll probably get more clientele.

Great company, no support to staff lower on totem pole.

Shift Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Clients, great knowledge of product provided

ConsPay, Upper Management, Support to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect and only work for the company if you have a passion for it.

Absolute Nightmare

Salon (Current Employee)

ProsRun, apply to Great Clips, anywhere really.There aren't any pro's..

Consvelop the potential in others. That they are all about the growth of new stylists. love new stylists, they can take advantage of those stylists.
    Second, there is no company training. Until you find out you have broken a rule. And those rules and policies are complete whims of the overly moody managers.
    The pay is horrendous. They have minimum wage as a fall back they hate pay, but you have to make those hours. If I have anything good to say, it's spend your money and time elsewhere.
    Not a ppace to build a longtime career. The salon is an afterthought.
    The inly products I can use are products customers return, already used.
    Sanitation equipment is broken. Nothing is sanitized....ever.
    I have so much to say it isn't even funny. None of it gets better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost stylists are not designed to be managers. Those are skill sets. You cannot run a salon like Nordstroms or a retail place.
    Managers are difficult to find when you need them.
    Open door policy should mean employees are heard. Someone actually listens.
    No dedicated retail manager
    No dedicated salon manager
    The decor of the salon is grotesque, every client mentions it.
    If you give feedback, it isn't arguing or oppositional, constructive criticism goes two ways.
    If you bring up a point of error on the part of a stylist, and the stylist tries to discuss the situation, yoir managers shouldn't talk over them and be insulting.
    I have never worked so hard to be treated so badly.
    F.y.I
    Stylists ARE NOT janitors. Hire somebody to scrub your walls and baseboard. Minimum wage doesn't begin to cover what you ask your employees to do.

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome decent discounts on product and services..but you can get better discounts at a distributor. A lot of great coworkers.

ConsThey promise career progression...but ,Good employees are not valued, expect too much for the compensation. Very little support and poor training .

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your "valued" employees with such disregard. You have lost a lot of great people because you are closed minded, will not listen or appreciate new ideas. You also give little support and run your people into the ground, all that for a sorry salary.

Worked for Beauty Brands? Contribute to the Community!