Beazer Homes Reviews

Allan P. Merrill

1. Great Culture

Current Employee - Client Support Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Support Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Beazer Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and environment, fast paced. Senior leadership is always open to everyone's ideas and helps support them

Cons

Went through a rough market in 2007 and many departments were affected, downsized, now experiencing growing pains and climbing out of that

Advice to Management

Keep doing what is working well and continue this excellent culture

corporate employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free parking? 401(k) match? Free bagels on Friday? I'm struggling to find 20 words here!

Cons

Too many to list, but I'll hit the high points. CEO is Narcissus reincarnate. He's the smartest guy you'll ever meet. Just ask him; he'll gladly tell you! CFO hit the jackpot landing the job, but is in way over his head. His department is a revolving door, and he mismanages through fear and intimidation. He loves to micromanage other departments, but his lack of understanding of even basic concepts is shocking. C-Suite is a cult of personality, and the culture is terrible. Employee turnover is through the roof, and has been for years. It far exceeds builder peers and other similar sized companies, by any measure . Board of Directors is full of lifers with very little turnover. They routinely rubber stamp C-Suite decisions and turn a blind eye to the employee mismanagement and complaint of C-Suite harassment. Financially the company has been struggling just to run in place for years now, but the Board is content to go along.

Advice to Management

Invest those hefty bonus checks wisely, because if a proactive, independent board is ever brought in, you won't be long for the job!

3. Stuck in the 90s

Former Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The CEO seems to genuinely care about the business and is a very nice, friendly man.

Cons

Very strict. Very stuffy. Very uncomfortable. They are completely stuck in the 90s with strict working hours and cubes covering the office so that you can't see the light of day. It's all work, work, work with no reward. Ever!

Advice to Management

Remember who came up with ideas, it's extremely offensive when you praise someone else for an idea that wasn't theirs. Join the 2000's and understand that life happens, it doesn't mean people will work less. In fact, they will work harder because they will respect you more.

5. Scary and dysfunctional IT Department

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good Salary and co-workers were very nice. Office In Atlanta was attractive, even if overcrowding caused games of 'musical desks." Ample parking. The cafeteria in the building wasn't entirely gross. Good health insurance.

Cons

Bait and switch on hiring. Recruiter gave me no good information and was very more concerned about placing me than about making sure that it was a good fit. When I let her know I was terminated, she promised to help me find a new gig, and I've never heard from her again. I was hired as a specialist for a particular system, with NO experience as a BA. I interviewed with 6 people. From the first month I was put on a performance plan and told "You just don't think like a BA." Well, that may be, but it's not like I hid that fact or didn't explicitly say that I needed a learning curve. Three additional systems were given to be responsible for, that I had never heard of, let alone worked with. Walked on eggshells the entire time with 3 or 4 different people evaluating me and nitpicking every little thing. I was a nervous wreck. Probably the worst job experience I've ever had. I discovered that there have been 3 other people in the position before me, within a 12 month period. Down right lied to about why my predecessor had left. I still have nightmares about the experience and I'm thinking seriously about taking it off my resume.

Advice to Management

Be honest and let candidates decide if they want to work in such a scary and crazy-making atmosphere. Give people time to learn the job.

IT Micro-Management

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My paycheck cleared the bank. IT Professionals (non-management) empathetic and knowledgeable.

Cons

Miro-management, environment is collapsed and hostile. There is no team collaboration, treated like children and thrown under the bus by the IT managers. Totally mis-treated by the managers.

Advice to Management

Throw out the existing IT management team!

7. Great work, great people! Different environment.

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Beazer Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

MY managers were generally very open to input. Great diversity in my position. Great team environment once you find a "group", both in and outside of department. Those outside of the "group" could be more difficult. Almost had a clique like feel.

Cons

Certain managers (in my department and out) were not open to input. Likewise, there was tension and an unwillingness to cooperate throughout the company. My ultimate reason for leaving was the general tension and failure of management to provide a promotion despite their acknowledgement of my superiority among my pears.

Advice to Management

Encourage and promote. Create more open communication between departments.

8. Good Company

Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Beazer Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for, team oriented, work/life family balance

Cons

Benefits, out of pocket benefits fron the employee extremly expensive

9. Relaxed, Friendly Environment, Not much advancement or diversity

Current Employee - Purchasing Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Purchasing Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Beazer Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, little to no micro-managing, easy work tasks, bagels on Friday

Cons

work is mundane, lots of data entry, no room for advancement

Advice to Management

improve morale by promoting/recognizing

10. Beazer needs to place more value on employees that have stayed through this troubling time.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Individually there are managers that care about the company and it shows.

Cons

The downturn in the industry has created an environment of extreme cost cutting - no dollars are allocated to training or employee welfare. The employees are treated as if we should be appreciative of still having a job. The company refuses to embrace flex time for any corporate employees.

Advice to Management

The employees that haven't jumped ship as of yet should be treated with respect and appreication. Showing appreciation does not automatically equal spending money.

RSS Feed </> Embed