Bechtel

Bechtel Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Bechtel President & CEO Bill Dudley

Bill Dudley

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule (off every other Friday) with flex scheduling (can come in any time between 6:30-8:30a(in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, worldwide company with opportunities in many markets and fields(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment(in 19 reviews)

• Long Commute, sometimes long hours, but generally rarely(in 13 reviews)

Top rate company, focuses on improving the employee experience.

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Richland, WA

ProsGood pay, good benefits, worldwide company with opportunities in many markets and fields.

ConsChallenging complex jobs, may not be able to remain in one location throughout your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your people and avoid micromanagement.

Fun Environment

ProsGood Benefits, good pay, great people

ConsLong Commute, sometimes long hours, but generally rarely

Advice to Senior ManagementWork 4x10s

Good/Bad

Civil Engineer (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGreat overtime, good projects, good experience

ConsOnce project is done you're out.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting jobs, but bureaucratic

Project Controls Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThese are the biggest and best engineering and construction projects in the world.

There is a serious interest from Project Management for the work done by Project Controls.

ConsToo many times you identify something dumb that we do, you take it up the chain, get agreement that it's dumb, but then are told, "It's just the way we do it here".

There is always talk of how we want to be more nimble, flexible, but never any real discussion of how a large company is going to do that.

Long hours, great pay, plenty of projects, strong moral, great co-workers

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsLong hours, great pay, plenty of projects, strong moral, great co-workers

ConsLong hours, travel to different projects wherever in the world.

Great employer

Lead Construction Coordinator (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsTops in almost every industry in pay.

ConsLots of processes and paperwork, there are reasons though.

GOOD OLE BOYS, Nepotisim,Nepotisim

Electrical Field Engineer (Current Employee) Spring City, TN

ProsGood pay Good benifits no a bad life

ConsManagers son was an extermanator on day the a full fledged Electrical field Engineer the next day

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the good people not the ones who are not

A former long-term employee now with some external perspective...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsInteresting work on some of the world's most important projects
    Widely respected name in the construction industry
    You feel you're doing important work with mostly talented people

ConsLack of respect for everyone outside of the most senior managers (PVPs and above with a few young LDP's who have family connections thrown in). Everyone else is treated like they can be repeatedly squeezed on benefits, salary, bonuses, and crappy assignments, because "hey you work for the greatest construction company in the world!"

No longer an implicit culture of "give and take", where I as a worker will put in extra hours and travel over the weekend/holiday missing important family events, living away from home, etc., because my team and manager respect me and will help me through the rough patches of work slowdowns. It's become of matter of take, take, take, and when you pathetically ask for a little decency and understanding in return you're reminded that it's a job stupid, not a work family like you thought.

There's a lot of heartache coming down the pipe for many extremely talented and hardworking people as the Power GBU follows downturns in work for Civil, M&M, and BSSI. It makes me sad because I really did love working for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think the current management, including the "uber" CEO/COO/President really cares what anyone else has by way of suggestions. He's been lucky to preside over some recordbreaking profits over the past few years and has clearly solidified himself as the Wizard who can surround himself with those, ahem, "leaders" sharing his maximum short-term profits vision.

My only hope is that the next generation of Bechtel, who by all accounts has been a hardworking, decent, and much respected individual in his quick rise through the organization, will soon take over and herald a return to a company culture like that established by his grandfather and those who came before him. By the way, RPB is no longer the CEO; should change this in Glassdoor before you ask people to approve of his performance!

Good Company

ProsOpen door policy, Career Development, cross functional experience, lots of opportunities

ConsNot necessarily a con, but may involve travels

Struggling

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsComparatively high salary, nice benefit, life/work balance. Sweat 80/9.

ConsToo many managers and controls are making every decision-making slow and often things fall into inefficiency. Organization is definitely top-heavy structure. Favoritism and politics in the massive bureaucracy is over employees who is not favored by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look around and figure out who is really leading the works.

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!