Bechtel

Bechtel Reviews in Frederick, MD

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Bechtel President & CEO Bill Dudley

Bill Dudley

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule (off every other Friday) with flex scheduling (can come in any time between 6:30-8:30a (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, worldwide company with opportunities in many markets and fields (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment (in 19 reviews)

• Long Commute, sometimes long hours, but generally rarely (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent

Control Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsNice Hospitality, Good Ethics, Nice work culture

ConsVery early shifts, starts at 6:30a.m

Good experience, wide ooportunities

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsLarge Organization, well known company. Company will work hard to keep employees even when work is slow

ConsNeed geographical flexibility. Management is not open to switching to different Business Unit within the company. Noticeable different in the age demographic. Will get lost in the crowd.

Too top heavy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGreat salary, time-off policies, convenient location, opportunity to travel.

ConsToo much bureaucracy, office politics, poor morale. They have too many managers that somehow climbed the ladder many years ago but are horrendous at managing people. Tis the age of the MBA, not the experienced, proven worker.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster an environment where your lower level employees feel valued and have the ability to grow within the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good/Bad

Civil Engineer (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGreat overtime, good projects, good experience

ConsOnce project is done you're out.

A former long-term employee now with some external perspective...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsInteresting work on some of the world's most important projects
    Widely respected name in the construction industry
    You feel you're doing important work with mostly talented people

ConsLack of respect for everyone outside of the most senior managers (PVPs and above with a few young LDP's who have family connections thrown in). Everyone else is treated like they can be repeatedly squeezed on benefits, salary, bonuses, and crappy assignments, because "hey you work for the greatest construction company in the world!"

No longer an implicit culture of "give and take", where I as a worker will put in extra hours and travel over the weekend/holiday missing important family events, living away from home, etc., because my team and manager respect me and will help me through the rough patches of work slowdowns. It's become of matter of take, take, take, and when you pathetically ask for a little decency and understanding in return you're reminded that it's a job stupid, not a work family like you thought.

There's a lot of heartache coming down the pipe for many extremely talented and hardworking people as the Power GBU follows downturns in work for Civil, M&M, and BSSI. It makes me sad because I really did love working for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think the current management, including the "uber" CEO/COO/President really cares what anyone else has by way of suggestions. He's been lucky to preside over some recordbreaking profits over the past few years and has clearly solidified himself as the Wizard who can surround himself with those, ahem, "leaders" sharing his maximum short-term profits vision.

My only hope is that the next generation of Bechtel, who by all accounts has been a hardworking, decent, and much respected individual in his quick rise through the organization, will soon take over and herald a return to a company culture like that established by his grandfather and those who came before him. By the way, RPB is no longer the CEO; should change this in Glassdoor before you ask people to approve of his performance!

Slow paced, project driven, change projects frequently.

Control Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsCompany has great history, good benefits.

ConsChanging projects frequently, difficult to advance your career without putting many years in.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more young people and do more to keep them.

Manager

Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGood pay, benefits, tons of overtime if your are an engineer.

ConsLack of good management, too many relocations.

Great company

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsAmazing benefits and a plethora of work opportunities and locations

ConsThey put you where they need you with little regard to where you want to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your employees feel that they are interested in.

Extremely technical due to the industry they serve, nuclear power

Senior Technical Writer (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsThey have a number of very gifted engineers who are proficient at a difficult task - building and maintaining nuclear power plants.

ConsMany employees have been there for decades and they form a tight clique, especially when it comes to downsizing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to new ideas, employees, and ways of doing business.

Great Place to work

Bechtel Intern (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsGood pay, decent work environment, high emphasis on safety and employee happiness. Always opportunities to seek advice or improvement, both internally and on a project.

ConsSome malcontent employees may tend to try and drag you down, but that doesn't necessarily differentiate Bechtel from anywhere else in the world.

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!