Bechtel National

www.bechtel.com

Bechtel National Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014
Bechtel National – “bechtel power”

Bechtel National Chairman, CEO, and a Director Riley P. Bechtel

Riley P. Bechtel

Overall good

Prosdecent pay, benefits, vacations, etc. Work/Life balance is acceptable. Future work available.

ConsLocation of job sites are generally far from populated areas. Hard to move up without extensive networking on specific sites.

Don't do what they say

QC Inspector (Current Employee) Richmond, KY

ProsSometimes work close to home

ConsPoor managers, bullying atmosphere, degrading leads, unqualified leads

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace from the top down

A career like a sequoia: strong, reaching great heights... and grows very slowly.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richland, WA

ProsBechtel hires great people. The great majority have top-level skills, are very professional, and consistently produce good work. There's a genuine sense among most employees that the company's projects are important, even vital, and they bring that sense to the table in getting the work done.
    The projects are, in fact, usually high-profile and significant, whether measured by national security, ecological safety, or the advancement of science.
    Line management I've worked for have been quick to recognize talent, and when it's being under-utilized. They also see when talented folks are under-compensated, and work hard to rectify the problem, including getting approval from corporate-level management (that is, above the project level) for greater-than-average increases in compensation.

ConsThe downsides are what you'll get with any world-class contractor working on Federal projects, most of them both nuclear and defense-related: every stage of the project takes years, requires crushing levels of documentation and inspections, and has layers of security that make it pretty much impossible to stay within five years of the rest of the world in technology.
    These truths make it very difficult to grow a career with any speed. In the last three years, I've tried to set "performance goals" that had some meat on their bones, that would expand my skills, deepen the pool of skills in the department, and broaden my opportunities within Bechtel's Global Business Units (cross-unit mobility is highly prized and openly developed). I've been required to thin out these goals to near-invisibility, and I get the sense that I'm "rocking the boat" by aiming so high. Maybe cross-unit mobility isn't so desirable in employees who, like me, are outside of engineering and project management; maybe it's the supervisors in my direct line. Either way,

Advice to Senior ManagementThe talk about "quality" is nearly as constant as the talk about "safety," but the elephant in the room is that quality is a lot harder to measure than safety is. The result is metrics that are created solely to measure themselves, while "quality" is still defined negatively ('quality is the absence of [these things]') and by 'I know it when I see it.'

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not good in the long run

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Richland, WA

ProsGood pay, decent benefits, some benefit of the project(s) down the line once bechtel finishes or is run out.

ConsManagement, culture, arrogant corporate mgmt, there are two companies, corporate and project. Unless your part of the in-crowd, might as well forget it. Mgmt consists mostly of amoral self involved salesman that would tell anyone (above them in rank) whatever they wanted to hear, and they really, really do not care on whit about employees, the majority of rank and file folks are thought of as garbage behind closed doors.

If you dont mind being on the Con, or at the least can use orwellian "doublethink" you can do very well at bechtel.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of this "great place to work" nonsense is your fault, no one wants to work for narcissists.

Senior Pipe Hanger Designer

Designer (Former Employee) Richland, WA

ProsBudget cut, I am waiting to be called

ConsGood and challenging Job to finish Important Waste Treatment Plant

Advice to Senior ManagementI will Love to come back and try to be part of Team.

A great company with really challenging work

Project Controls Engineer (Current Employee) Oak Ridge, TN

ProsExciting projects working on complex national sceurity challenges. A privately held company that treats everyone like family. Very stable company

ConsNone that I know of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going

They are there own worst enemy

Prosthere are no pros about Bechtel

Conseverything about them is horrible, stay away if you can

Advice to Senior Managementget your heads out of your ass

Like any other company it's a combination of who you know, how hard you work, and whether you know what you're doing.

ProsGreat opportunities to see the world and family environment

ConsNepotism and top performers carrying dead weight...

Awesome company

Project Controls (Former Employee) Pueblo, CO

ProsThey truly take care of their employees and believe in safety first.

ConsI have nothing negative to say about Bechtel.

By no means a "Great Place to Work"

Construction Assistant (Current Employee) Richland, WA

ProsThe Benefits are decent
    Pay Check
    If you are hired in and do manage to join the right cliques you will be going places

ConsAnnual Reviews are a nightmare
    Its very difficult to advance because promotions and other achievments are primary granted based on who you know. You could be great at your job, but if you aren't playing golf with departmental manager on Sunday then you may go unnoticed for years. It seems that most Bechtel jobs are poorly managed. This is because most of upper management spends their time, in conference calls, in meetings, and on business trips. They have no clue about the work going on just outside their office doors. However, they make all the decisions that pertain to this work. Your direct superviser is your only ally, and that is only if he is not in with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to stop sitting in meetings all day and actually get a feel for what the people you manage do all day. Only then can you make good decisions.

Worked for Bechtel National? Contribute to the Community!