Bechtel Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.5

Bechtel President & CEO Bill Dudley
Bill Dudley

Pros
  • Most people work a 9-80 schedule with every other Friday off (in 16 reviews)

• Culture , Values & ethics and also work life balance if you are not alone on the job (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/ life balance can be an issue depending on your particular job role (in 25 reviews)

• Too much red tape; Too much gossip; No Work life balance; Company runs like companies in 1950s (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Bechtel is exciting, driven for excellence and extremely highly qualified in all aspects of major, large construction.

Former Employee - Civil Superintendent & Senior Mining Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bechtel trusts its professional employees with a large degree of responsibility and matches the trust with very thorough procedures. The "team" on a project is always professional, committed and qualified - like working on an all-star team. Our prime directive was to meet the schedule: Quality and safety were "given". Bechtel was really an exciting and enjoyable place to work.

Cons

I would say the main challenges have to do with family stress. We moved often and lived in remote locations, which are always tougher on the families than on the employee. I was fortunate in that my wife enjoyed foreign places and strange languages.

I think senior management was terrific so I don't have specific advice. Everybody, of course, would like more pay and better assignments; so that is not real advice.

Electrical Field Engineer

I have been working at Bechtel

Pros

Big company, not going under any time soon.

Cons

Most of their work is going overseas.

Good company to work

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation if you know how to impress managers

Cons

Lack of advancement unless you know someone

Good Money

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are willing to move around, you found the right company. International work pays great and is an exciting challenge.

Cons

Typical corporate issues - base pay is low, but all of the incentives and international bonuses make up for that and some. Unless you are on one of the government projects, you will typically work long hours, but you're paid for it.

Smile!

Excellent company where I was able to learn about the corporate world.

I worked at Bechtel

Pros

Columbia, MD office has a great team of people who actually care for thier employees not just the bottom line.

Cons

Like any other work place, there is always room for improvement.

Continue taking care of the employees

Great place to learn and do.

Former Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Finance Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bechtel as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic people, structured plan for intern, and diverse backgrounds in employees. The rotational aspect of the program makes it great for someone looking to find their strengths in corporate finance, be it in: financial reporting, management information & planning, or in treasury. 10/10 would work there again.

Cons

Typical high costs that come with working in the city of San Francisco. Transportation, eating out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner are all above usual. That being said, SF is a great place to be.

Good company, easy going and good work life balance.

I have been working at Bechtel

Pros

It's a very good company with good work life balance. No long hours, very occasionally.

Cons

There average age of people work here are on higher side. Too many managers. Some of the managers perform lower grade employee's job. Very heavy and complex processes.

Needs to really change the working culture. People are very tightly married to old complex process which is costing the company money and loosing projects. Some of the managers are not valuable, very inflexible and may be roadblock in taking Bechtel in new direction.

Bechtel is a company doing great things in the world.

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pride in making a difference, good compensation

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities, middle management at corporate need to recognize and develop talent that is overlooked because of an old school buddy system

Great company and employees are proud to work here- but great employees get stale when left at remote projects with little opportunity to increase skills and value. Turnover will continue to increase if this is not addressed. Great places to work survey supports this opinion.

good people

I have been working at Bechtel

Pros

good people and secure employment

Cons

government run to much paperwork

Do not work for Bechtel in Sabine Pass.

Former Employee - Journeyman Pipefitter in Cameron, LA
    Former Employee - Journeyman Pipefitter in Cameron, LA

I worked at Bechtel as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing good about that job is the fact that you can take home tools. They don't check your box good when you leave.

Cons

There is NO planning on that job. It's a complete cluster. You have to bus in an out which takes 2 hrs an they don't pay you either.

Get your stuff together an raise the pay rate.