Bechtel Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.5

Bechtel President & CEO Bill Dudley
Bill Dudley

Pros
  • Most people work a 9-80 schedule with every other Friday off (in 16 reviews)

• Culture , Values & ethics and also work life balance if you are not alone on the job (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/ life balance can be an issue depending on your particular job role (in 25 reviews)

• Too much red tape; Too much gossip; No Work life balance; Company runs like companies in 1950s (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

good people

I have been working at Bechtel

Pros

good people and secure employment

Cons

government run to much paperwork

Do not work for Bechtel in Sabine Pass.

Former Employee - Journeyman Pipefitter in Cameron, LA
    Former Employee - Journeyman Pipefitter in Cameron, LA

I worked at Bechtel as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The only thing good about that job is the fact that you can take home tools. They don't check your box good when you leave.

Cons

There is NO planning on that job. It's a complete cluster. You have to bus in an out which takes 2 hrs an they don't pay you either.

Get your stuff together an raise the pay rate.

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Civil Designer in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Civil Designer in Frederick, MD

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and vacation/PTO time. Good people to work with very diverse backgrounds.

Cons

A lot of travel and sometimes to remote sites.

Take into consideration that people are away from family sometimes for extended periods.

Good Employer Good Benefits

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Good benefits not typically found at other companies
    -Pleasant work environment
    -Flex-time
    -Opportunity for cross-training within discipline
    -Strong Ethical company

Cons

-Relocation is expected every few years
    -Difficult to grow professionally
    -Appears that some people are "chosen" and reap the benefits of such
    -It is easy to get overloked while on a field assignment and miss out on opportunities.

Cost Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Cost Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Cost Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is divided into multiples global busines units. This help the company to remain solid economically speaking. Benefits porfolio is good as well.

Cons

You have to travel a lot and the jobsite are normally in the middle of nowhere. Starting salary may be low.

Mobility is always possible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to move around to different positions within the company.

Cons

A very formal and introverted workplace

Great Place to work and they care about the Employees

I have been working at Bechtel full-time

Pros

Provide Flex-Time and help you manage your work-life balance. The company is Project driven so it depends on
    what period of the Project you are on. They will try to keep you on a project of function if possible.

Cons

The same cons that would come with any large company, but none worth mentioning. You will have to relocate when
    a project comes to an end and there is not another one to jump on in the same office.

Company going out of business

Former Employee - Civil Engineer
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bechtel gets amazing once in a lifetime projects to work on. Offer competitive salaries if you go overseas.

Cons

The company is currently in the process of going out of business as over half of the employees have been laid off over the past couple of years. They will most likely be bought out by another engineering firm in the next few years. Salaries are not competitive in the U.S.

Bid for more than 2 projects a year that are worth less than a billion dollars. Companies such as southwest airlines, h&m clothing, and other companies took advantage of their Bechtel like competitors and took up the majority of the market that their competitors refused to get into. These companies have become more valuable than their luxury counterparts.

Pay is competitive, but it's not worth it.

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive for those right out of college.
    If you like to travel, this is the place to be. During the 7 years I worked there, I moved to numerous cities. Overtime is pay and a half. Majority of folks are incompetent, so you'll most likely be the smartest one there. Nepotism is strong and flourishing at this company.

Cons

Management only looks out for themselves.
    Zero work / life balance if you're at a project site.
    If you're female, be prepared to be sexually harassed - HR won't help you.
    If you work at a project site, don't expect career development and growth to be based on performance. During one of my annual reviews, my manager said "your performance doesn't matter. Promotions are based on your number of years with the company."

Unqualified Personnel Leading Experienced Personnel????

Former Employee - Pipe Fitter Helper III in Cameron, LA
    Former Employee - Pipe Fitter Helper III in Cameron, LA

I worked at Bechtel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was okay, hours not horrible and SOME of management knew their job. Also was able to live not too far from the site.

Cons

Unqualified management personnel, lied to constantly about being given a weld test and then when they did give me the weld test, instructor showed up 2 hours late then stayed on his cell phone for 3 hours while I sat waiting for him to check my root and stringers. I finally couldn't take it anymore and left. When I was confronted by upper management the evening I came back to work with them calling me a liar about what happened, I lost my cool and was likely fired for insubordination. While I needed a job, I didn't need it bad enough to work in an environment of fear, bullying, threats and intimidation. The pipe superintendent is a power mad former IRONWORKER who knows NOTHING about pipe and fires people at will simply because he can. Fired a relative too about 3-4 weeks before that....has over 35 years of experience in this business AND has NEVER been fired from a job in his life.

Only put QUALIFIED personnel in positions of power. I've never worked for a company where so many people in management knew nothing or very little about the craft they managed. Management manages through intimidation, threats and fear. I (and my fitter) were told on more than one occasion if we didn't lay enough pipe we would be fired. How do you get the best out of your people when all you do is tell them how terrible they are, that they are useless and worthless (because we missed our goal by 2.5 ft) and they wished you'd never been hired? What kind of management mindset is that????