Bechtel

Bechtel Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Bechtel President & CEO Bill Dudley

Bill Dudley

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule (off every other Friday) with flex scheduling (can come in any time between 6:30-8:30a (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, worldwide company with opportunities in many markets and fields (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment (in 19 reviews)

• Long Commute, sometimes long hours, but generally rarely (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company

ProsOpen door policy, Career Development, cross functional experience, lots of opportunities

ConsNot necessarily a con, but may involve travels

A former long-term employee now with some external perspective...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Frederick, MD

ProsInteresting work on some of the world's most important projects
    Widely respected name in the construction industry
    You feel you're doing important work with mostly talented people

ConsLack of respect for everyone outside of the most senior managers (PVPs and above with a few young LDP's who have family connections thrown in). Everyone else is treated like they can be repeatedly squeezed on benefits, salary, bonuses, and crappy assignments, because "hey you work for the greatest construction company in the world!"

No longer an implicit culture of "give and take", where I as a worker will put in extra hours and travel over the weekend/holiday missing important family events, living away from home, etc., because my team and manager respect me and will help me through the rough patches of work slowdowns. It's become of matter of take, take, take, and when you pathetically ask for a little decency and understanding in return you're reminded that it's a job stupid, not a work family like you thought.

There's a lot of heartache coming down the pipe for many extremely talented and hardworking people as the Power GBU follows downturns in work for Civil, M&M, and BSSI. It makes me sad because I really did love working for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think the current management, including the "uber" CEO/COO/President really cares what anyone else has by way of suggestions. He's been lucky to preside over some recordbreaking profits over the past few years and has clearly solidified himself as the Wizard who can surround himself with those, ahem, "leaders" sharing his maximum short-term profits vision.

My only hope is that the next generation of Bechtel, who by all accounts has been a hardworking, decent, and much respected individual in his quick rise through the organization, will soon take over and herald a return to a company culture like that established by his grandfather and those who came before him. By the way, RPB is no longer the CEO; should change this in Glassdoor before you ask people to approve of his performance!

Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey are a great company with fabulous employees who act as family.

ConsContractors move to different job sites

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was fabulous management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Struggling

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsComparatively high salary, nice benefit, life/work balance. Sweat 80/9.

ConsToo many managers and controls are making every decision-making slow and often things fall into inefficiency. Organization is definitely top-heavy structure. Favoritism and politics in the massive bureaucracy is over employees who is not favored by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look around and figure out who is really leading the works.

Best company ever!

Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis company cares for its employees like none I have seen before. It's no wonder that most employees have been there since they entered the job market!

ConsNone I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

power is failing

Mechanical Supervisor (Current Employee) Temple, TX

Prosstill good spot to gain entry level experience for the next job

Consno work life balance, home office culture is polar opposite of job site locations, extremely heavy in upper management. As long as you have a skill set to get them out of a bind you are useful, when that is over you are over. Moving from jobsite to jobsite incurs out of pocket expense that should be covered by company, who can travel for years on end with just a 1000 pounds of personal items. Major good old boy network, not skill set that gets you next job, its your connections, when you have manager who was sent by the company to anger management 3 times and still is a manager why doesn't the red light go off.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how to realistically bid jobs so that the projects are not constantly over budget and behind schedule before even breaking ground

Great on resume, average internally

Project Controls Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Pros- Opportunity to work on some of the largest projects
    - Great place to launch a career
    - Job is relatively stable unlike some competing EPC companies
    - Good 401K and benefits (4 weeks vacation)

Cons- The management recognizes talent but pay is not tied to reviews
    - Favoritism (this happens at most places)
    - Poor leveraging of technology
    - Value years of experience over all else
    - Take people for granted, better pay for new hires than existing employees

Bechtel an EPC company

ProsLarge global organization with many business lines

ConsDiminishing value investement of long term employees

Highly discriminative and a hostile, bullying environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsCompared to industry standards, pay scale is pretty high.

ConsCertain departments are highly weight biased. Woman don't make as much as their male counterparts and don't advance as quickly. Bonuses and pay increases are handed out based on favorites and not work performance. Management is so far above the weeds they make decisions and push for progress without solid facts and information. The environment was highly hostile, extremely stressful, and a dead end if you weren't among the "golden ones". I have never experienced an environment which such blatant bullying as this one.

Advice to Senior ManagementBehaviors are learned from the upper management and trickle down. Everyone is so focused on impressing the right people that they scramble over one another to get to the top. Management needs to be more objective, and play favorites less. Additionally, gathering accurate information is critical for setting realistic timelines and awarding employees fairly.

Poor HR

Benefits Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood company with some managers that are good leaders.

ConsLittle to no communication from HR. Inexperience managers that only process paperwork. Nothing innovative about the company.

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!