Bechtel

Updated December 22, 2014
3.6

Bechtel President & CEO Bill Dudley
Bill Dudley

Pros
  • Most people work a 9-80 schedule with every other Friday off (in 18 reviews)

• Culture , Values & ethics and also work life balance if you are not alone on the job (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/ life balance can be an issue depending on your particular job role (in 26 reviews)

• Too much red tape; Too much gossip; No Work life balance; Company runs like companies in 1950s (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

big company and experience

I worked at Bechtel

Pros

projects are exciting and huge

Cons

changing locations frequently and moving

Decent

I have been working at Bechtel

Pros

Good pay, overall good benefits

Cons

Poor project management, declining job stability, mandatory weekend work on occasion

Cold and unwelcoming environment in Reston, Va office.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Reston, VA

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flex schedule
    Good salary and bonus

Cons

Fear of downsizing and layoffs always present
    Management changes mind and isn't supportive
    People are unfriendly and not welcoming to new employees
    No on boarding so you are lost for months
    No community
    Too big for it's own good
    Management created positions that aren't supported with a champion or company buy in

Put more thought and effort into recruiting plan. Support professional hires as much as college hires. Do not create positions or a dept. without a thorough plan that supports them.

In my entire career, this has by far been the coldest and worst place I have worked. I was hired into a newly created position and placed on a newly created team. This meant that about 20 of us were brand new to the company. These are highly educated, highly experienced new hires - and we were dropped in the middle of the colosseum to fight for ourselves. There was so much promise around my new position and the whole department, which would create an area that Bechtel hadn't formally touched before. Within weeks I realized that while management created the dream of the job, they wouldn't support it organization-wide by mandating some necessary new processes. To date, the majority of brand new hires (who bonded well over the many issues of the company) are looking to leave as soon as possible. Change is impossible in this narcissistic environment. People will be sure to tell that they are "Bechtel brats" - meaning their parents worked there, and now they work there, and they sadly have no other experience (or education in many cases). Nepotism at it's best. A rich heritage is not the feeling you get at Bechtel, but more an old, white guy fraternity (or even worse - cliques of threatened women worse than Mean Girls!!) that doesn't like newbies to come in. On top of all this, most people are just flat out not nice or good people. Not a good environment with terrible morale; run for your life.

A great place to learn, not a place you can stay

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bechtel is a great place to learn, travel and if you get really lucky a great way to make some money. If you can get onto an international job with good tax benefits then you can make money. You have to be great at what you do, but that doesn't guarantee anything these days. It is a secure company, the global financial crisis didn't really hit it too hard. If you want some amazing engineering experience than I would apply, but like I said, moving up is a battle.

Cons

Worthless people get promoted and end up running the ship. The great people get locked in where they are and have to fight to move up. The pay scales are not comparable to other companies like Fluor or Worley. Don't expect to make any money unless you find a cushy job overseas in the middle east.

Good experience, wide ooportunities

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Large Organization, well known company. Company will work hard to keep employees even when work is slow

Cons

Need geographical flexibility. Management is not open to switching to different Business Unit within the company. Noticeable different in the age demographic. Will get lost in the crowd.

Family-oriented company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary is above the average in the industry. They will take care of you well as long as you work hard.
    The company values ethics and moral more than anything else.

Cons

There are some incompetent employees who got hired because they knew someone. The company should screen applicants based on their education and experience.
    A very male dominant organization.
    Bad medical benefits - more and more doctors reject the plan that Bechtel has.

Consider promoting minorities and women more.
    Improve benefits plans.

Mostly good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bechtel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

people in general are good, freedom & flexibility,

Cons

bonus is low, management too eager to cut budgets, no long term funding for IT projects, not enough appreciation and rewards for a work done well

cut costs where appropriate i.e. on software initiatives that yield nothing after spending millions rather than the ones that are actually used and yield value. Get better managers for your IT

Too top heavy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great salary, time-off policies, convenient location, opportunity to travel.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy, office politics, poor morale. They have too many managers that somehow climbed the ladder many years ago but are horrendous at managing people. Tis the age of the MBA, not the experienced, proven worker.

Foster an environment where your lower level employees feel valued and have the ability to grow within the company.

Let you go in a heartbeat if you make a higher salary.

Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When there is work, you can make a lot of hours. They do stress safety.

Cons

No work/life balance. Lots of OT. Power division employees will get put on 'holding status' (unpaid) between projects for up to 90 days then they will terminate you. They might call you back after you have used all your saved up vacation. Very hard to switch between divisions, though they have work in them. They are getting rid of higher paid experienced people and it shows in the quality, which means less work. They have almost no work in the power business in the US. Though safety is stressed, things aren't quite what they should be. And lastly, there are cliques, and they are strong-the only way to keep working. I have a few weeks before I'm terminated.

This certainly isn't the same Bechtel of years past when quality was second only to safety. You have to toe the line to stay employed.

Amazing job if you are single and like to travil

Former Employee - Tower Climber in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Tower Climber in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bechtel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are the safest company that i have ever worked for. I wish there was a postion in Grand Junction I could transfer to. If there was, I would still be working for them.

Cons

Long streaches away from my wife and kids, being all over Arizona all the time.