Bechtel

Bechtel Reviews in Richland, WA

Updated May 16, 2014

Bechtel President & CEO Bill Dudley

Bill Dudley

Pros
  • 9/80 schedule (off every other Friday) with flex scheduling (can come in any time between 6:30-8:30a (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, worldwide company with opportunities in many markets and fields (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment (in 19 reviews)

• Long Commute, sometimes long hours, but generally rarely (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights
5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Top rate company, focuses on improving the employee experience.

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Richland, WA

ProsGood pay, good benefits, worldwide company with opportunities in many markets and fields.

ConsChallenging complex jobs, may not be able to remain in one location throughout your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your people and avoid micromanagement.

Sr. Electrical Designer

Senior Electrical Designer (Former Employee) Richland, WA

ProsThey have a pretty good benefit package.

ConsI was layed of, I believe, primarily because of my age. I was 79 at the time and doing my job very effectively. I was the senior member of the group and probably was receiving one of the highest salaries of the designers. When a funding change took place it provided the company and opportunity to lay me off without any justification. I thought there was a law against age discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit looking at the age of you people and consider on the performance of the employee when making decision about promation or lay offs.

Good Company to work

Structural Designer (Former Employee) Richland, WA

ProsIt gave me opportunity to train some new designers

ConsGovernment Budget Up And Down

Advice to Senior ManagementDo their best for the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richland, WA

ProsGreat benefits. Excellent company to work for if you like to travel the world working on a wide variety of projects.

ConsNever in one spot very long. Must be highly mobile. Government jobs involve alot of red tape. Long commute times.

Felt like the movie "Office Space"

Contracts Specialist (Former Employee) Richland, WA

Pros-Awesome work/life benefits (Most employees get at least 4 weeks PTO regardless of length of service; some projects offer option to purchase an additional week of PTO to total 5 weeks)
    -Excellent training opportuntities
    -Open door policy with leads and most managers
    -Great mentoring program
    -International travel opportunities
    -9/80 work schedule in town. This means we work Monday thru Thursday 7am to 430pm. Every other Friday is a day off. Working Fridays at 7am to 330pm. It rocks!
    Out of the construction site the schedule is Mon thru Thursday 630a to 5pm. Fridays off.
    -Projects all over the world. There was a minor layoff last year on our project and several people were placed on different projects. Bechtel is also diversified and involved in many industries - so if one sector goes south, there are other opportunities.

Cons-OLD SCHOOL mentality (no flex time, military style mgmt, big time generational gaps)
    -Encourages "questioning attitude" but when you exhibit questioning attitude, you are put down and mgmt retaliates.
    -Very high turnover due to disatisfaction with mgmt. Yet mgmt continues with crappy practices. The problems not addressed.
    -Have to get overtime approved in advance. Sometime unforeseen circumstances cause OT and then you don't get the OT because it wasn't approved in advance.
    -Extremely UNFLEXIBLE mgmt. They do not allow deviation from the set schedule of 7am to 430pm. If you are just one minute late, some mangers really come unglued. One mgr does a "walkaround" at 7:02am to see who is at their desks and takes roll. Hello we aren't 5 years old. However, if you stay 1-2 hours late, no one notices or says thank you.
    -Babysitting environment = very rule and procedure oriented
    -Cronyism. Good ol "boys" club and heavy politics govern promotion rather than hard work or compentency. One person keeps getting promoted over and over and over and no one understands why. They are very incompetent, lose documents, forget deadlines, puts people down. Whenever they are in charge of a department...turnover goes through the roof. YET they keep getting promoted. Many HR complaints have been logged against them but they keep getting promoted.
    -Slackers seem to get away with chronic lateness, long lunches, and not pulling their weight...and get rewarded with promotions and praise. The hard workers are harassed and bullied out of their jobs. Many hard working competent people have left because of this!
    -Published company policies and procedures are applied in an inconsistent and variable manner
    -The company pigeon-holes you into where they think you fit instead of where you want to go
    -Lots of promised opportunities that don't come to fruition.
    -LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW MORALE

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that flexibility and choices make employees happy and more productive; not control and military-style leadership.

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!