Becker Professional Education Reviews

3.4
John Roselli

1. Review

I worked at Becker Professional Education full-time

Pros

good culture, good place to work

Cons

limited growth opportunities, Becker is tied to DeVry

Advice to Management

listen to your employees, they have some great employees with great ideas

Account Manager

I have been working at Becker Professional Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Becker is fully focused on helping students achieve their goals and promoting a culture of care. I admire Becker for sticking to their original commitment and focus of student success. I enjoy having the ability to run a territory how best fits the individual territory and the flexibility to build that territory. Benefits are comprehensive and provider network is excellent!

Cons

Work/life balance is difficult. Too many monthly requirements mean constantly working overtime with little acknowledgment or financial assistance. Too few options for advancement or financial gain. Exceptional work or achievement is meagerly noted by management or corporate.

Advice to Management

Better recognize and reward employees who excel in territory. Reduce blanket policies and red tape that do not benefit or can even harm different territories. Remember Quality over Quantity for monthly requirements. Seek more employee insight before implementing new initiatives or marketing ideas.

3. Regional Manager

Pros

Autonomy to manager to the strengths and coach the weaknesses of employees utilizing several tools available to you, as well as the openness and flexibility to recognize the strengths of a manager and allow you the opportunity to utilize skills that the manager had previously to strengthen the team. Trust. As a new manager, it is calming to know that those supporting me trust me and my judgment, but also are available as needed to brainstorm. Support of the team members is strong--strong tenure and strong passion on the team for what we do, who we are and why we are here.

Cons

Strategic reporting is in place, but has unlimited potential. The company recognizes this and is already showing strides.

5. Depends on the day but...

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Becker Professional Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working from home and the autonomous nature of the work schedule; interacting with students and clients utilizing a softsell manner; benefits are better than most

Cons

Way underpaid for the amount of work expected in the field; little-to-no upperward mobility; communication and interaction with colleagues can be limited due to geography and schedule differences

Advice to Management

Turnover has increased drastically in the past few years for a reason. Lip service has been a serious issue; management verbally says one thing, then actions say another; it has been very frustrating to field employees. Veteran employees should not be making less than new hires; they have more skills, client relationships, and product knowledge; plus, they assist in training new hires. We have been the leader in our field for 50 years for a reason; slowly changing the field into aggressive sales is not the answer... Turnover will continue to increase if these issues are not addressed.

6. Manager of Billing and Receivables

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highland, IL

Pros

I am very happy to work for a great team here at Becker/Client Services. I feel that upper management listens to concerns to help resolve issues.

Cons

We continue to find the right platform to use for registering our students. I have been with Becker 9 years and we have had 3 systems to work with. Our new Ecommerce platform should be launched in mid August and we are hoping for a system that works.

Advice to Management

I feel that my colleagues are underpaid. I have a team who has been here for several years and have very good skills yet their pay is entry level.

7. Ups and Downs

I have been working at Becker Professional Education full-time

Pros

As a field marketing specialist, I enjoy the autonomous nature of the work schedule and the firms and universities with which I interact. Great co-workers, although in a field organization you are separated by geography

Cons

Busy seasons for the university segment will find one working nights and weekends 60+ hours per week. Lots of "adminsitriva" one is expected to do. Bouts of micro-management from the highest levels of management Average of 1-2% pay raises for last 2 years

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, one size does not fit all when it comes to managing performance. Be more transparent in process of promotions. Hire from within.

8. Regional Manager

I have been working at Becker Professional Education full-time

Pros

Supportive atmosphere with great colleagues. Work from home office for headquarters based in Illinois allows for flexibility in the work week. Tough job with high expectations but you can manage and do well.

Cons

Communication issues at times. Because we are spread out there isn't much opportunity for advancement unless you are willing to move.

9. not a good fit.

Pros

there is nothing that would make me want to work there again.

Cons

not a good place to work

Advice to Management

look elsewhere

10. Great Place to Work

Pros

People really care about what they do and its a very collaborative environment

Cons

Company on the smaller side so promotion opportunities are not abundant but you will love what you do and there is always new things to learn.

11. Fun group, limited promotions available

Pros

I like the people I work with and the benefits. There are a lot of opportunities to move within DeVry Education Group, so that's a plus. Flexible hours and opportunities to work from home.

Cons

Employees find it challenging to move up within Becker as it is a smaller organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed