Becket Family Services Reviews

5 reviews filtered by
2.5
CEO

1. It has been very rewarding journey.

Current Employee - Residential Counselor
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor

I have been working at Becket Family Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My team is awesome!!! Management is willing to accommadate my days off request with no issues. The individuals have grown soooo much and I am happy that my team has helped achieve some of their true potential.

Cons

I think trainings should be closer to where you are working not two hours away. The drive is lonely and depressing even if we get reimbursed for mileage.

Raises, rewarding employees for outstanding work they provide once a month, having a Becket newsletter about the growth of our individuals and team members. Promoting interaction with simliar behavioral houses to a themed house party such as celebrating Halloween together, house cookouts, having relief staff that get paid a differential.

2. Great Organization!

Current Employee - Permenancy Specialist in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Permenancy Specialist in Manchester, NH

I have been working at Becket Family Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is very supportive of their workers and all are treated with respect and dignity. Management are always willing to assist you in personal growth and offer ongoing trainings to better your job skills.

Cons

Its disappointing when your unable to help youth as I take it as a personal defeat.

Continue to treat employees as equals and we will only get stronger!

3. Not Worth The Stress

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Haverhill, NH
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Haverhill, NH

I worked at Becket Family Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In residential life, there were plenty of opportunities to work overtime and make a little extra money. However, even that didn't last long and after three months of working there, employees' hours got cut to avoid excessive overtime.

Cons

Where to begin...this company has very little respect for its employees, especially residential staff. The company boasted about having only 4-day work weeks, yet the demanding hours, working 2nd shift on Fridays, then a 15-16 hour shift every Saturday, was exhausting. The fact that they expected their employees to work such a shift, and often requiring them to drive 5-6 hours on the 15 hour shift was unbelievable. Another major factor was that they were not gender-conscious by any means, for example, pairing a young female counselor with a sexually defiant male resident. Overall, the job was mentally exhausting.

value and respect your employees

5. A really tough gig

Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Plymouth, NH
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Plymouth, NH

I worked at Becket Family Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a youth Counselor the number of hours you can work are almost unlimited, they are always willing to give you overtime.

Cons

The con's outweigh the pro's about 1000 to 1. The management here shows zero respect or loyalty towards its employees, they view you as disposable. The male youth you are working with are unpredictable and do not show regard for any type of human safety. Spitting, fighting, urinating, drug abuse racial comments....the list goes on. A very mentally draining job. The day I walked out of there was one of the best days of my life.

Respect your employees.

6. Do not work here.

I have been working at Becket Family Services full-time

Pros

The Pros are difficult to find when working for this company. If you enjoy working with At-Risk Youth, Becket maintains a steady attendance of troubled adolescent males.

Cons

Company management has zero appreciation for their staff, whether you are a youth counselor, permanency specialist, or an educator in the academic setting. Employee benefits are terrible, especially when compared to other facilities and surrounding school districts. It is an unsafe environment for not only employees, but the males in residence as well with students exerting aggressive/physically violent behaviors towards faculty and other students. Students are only held accountable for their actions when it affects an administrator, and only after numerous incidents have been ignored when subordinate faculty are involved. Job security is minimal with massive layoffs occurring multiple times per year when enrollment numbers are down whether you are a contracted employee or not.

Management, Administrators, etc. should take better care of their employees and recognize the dangers/abuse they face every day. Employees should have access to better benefit packages simply because we do the work few people want to. Employees should be given the support to be successful, rather than be set up to fail.