Beckman Coulter

www.beckmancoulter.com

Beckman Coulter Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Beckman Coulter

Pros
  • Work Life balance, Market Segment, Danaher bringing change(in 11 reviews)

• Fair amount of freedom makes for a comfortable work environment(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance as that same DBS system wrings the life out of their employees(in 12 reviews)

• After the acquisition by Danaher, the genuinely caring for people subsided(in 10 reviews)

HR is the problem at Beckman Coulter

ProsStart your career, stay for a few years, then leave.

ConsHR and upper management are totally out of touch with their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSave money by reducing the HR department. If executive management doesn't meet the company's financial goals, reduce their pay and benefits, not the regular workers.

not Beckman Coulter anymore

Senior Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) Seoul (South Korea)

ProsMost people are good. Danaher, parent company, has good system, DBS.

ConsMost of good people leave the company. Sometimes you can feel bad because of no slow process. Company thinks cost-effective everytime. If you are newbie, you have to learn your work yourself alone by doing alone.

Advice to Senior Managementneed more trainings for employees and managers as well.

Great organization, tough environment

ProsDBS is their "secret sauce" and it works! Great career development org. Good leadership; integrity, work hard, smart.

ConsWork life balance is off the scales in a bad way, sometimes the "big picture" gets lost in the nitty gritty details and grind of daily management which impacts culture and engagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget that associates are humans. Really, they have lives outside of Beckman and Danaher that they care a lot about. They also have different aspirations and motivators, the hammer doesn't work for everything. Don't forget to help associates see the big picture, why they do what they do everyday...keep them connected. That will require pausing from tasks long enough to acknowledge and celebrate the vision...it's an exciting one.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management incompetence has turned a once great company into a mediocre one. I miss the old Beckman!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe folks who work there (not management) were the best.

ConsNo work/life balance, no opportunity for growth and development, unless you are willing to only tell your boss what he or she wants to hear.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand what the Engagement results are telling you and stop bashing associates who gave you open and honest feedback.

Great place to build a career and enjoy yourself in the process

Senior Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Brea, CA

ProsBeckman is doing great things in support of employee career development, engagement, and talent management. I am part of the human resources function and proud to work with this company and being a part of a winning team!

ConsFast paced, results and metric driven culture is not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to foster employee engagement and involvement.

Great People, Improving Structure

Development Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsBeckman Coulter, Brea provides a positive experience especially in development. The managers care about their workers and typically backs up an associate if there is an issue. It's been a great experience working here, I have been learning immensely from my peers on a day to day basic.

ConsThe compensation is limited for people who wants to stay at their current position and get promoted. Promotion is limited especially in the past, and structure for entry level scientist is limited. Beckman Salary could improve compared to the industry standard, but it has improved compared to the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to create a competitive environment for the workers. Continue to innovate to stay in business.

Not what they use to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brea, CA

ProsThis depends on your location. If in the field you may get a car and credit card. CA has some nice golf bonuses.

ConsThey were bought out by Danaher. They are more interested in making changes to make money instead of learning why Beckman was once a respectable company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMay want to focus on retention

It's a Danaher company so rule #1 is the bottom line. Rule 2 is see rule #1.

Supply Chain (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsWould be a good place to start a career. Their DBS system is genious

ConsPoor work life balance as that same DBS system wrings the life out of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance starts at the top and trickles down. If you want to fix your turn over you must start there.

Was a good company, but now it's just numbers, numbers, numbers.

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsIn field service, I can't think of a single thing that hasn't been made worse after the danaher take over, so I can't mention any pros at all.

ConsIn accurate and unfair time recording such as when working past midnight, that time rolls over onto the next day and is considered straight time. They deduct 1/2 hour every day for "commute time" even though we work from home. We are not allowed to clock in until we have an actual service call, so that means that inventory maintenance, expense reports, and training aren't considered as part of the job. Every return call is considered a "callback" even though it might be for a completely different part of the instrument.

The list goes on, but there is a reason that there are many field engineers that have left, and many that will be leaving, and the customer will suffer for it in the form of much longer response times. They have lost so many people, that they are asking us to fly to different states to help out other areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice already has been shared, but they refuse to listen. We in the field are done with it.

I'm very happy to go to work every day

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsInteresting projects, very dynamic, people are very nice and friendly. Middle management are smart and people oriented at least in my department

Cons10 hr is average working day

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advise to middle management, they already do their best. For upper management: " Go to Gemba". In our company we all know what it means :). What I mean, I want them to come to us and talk and not only read forecasts.

Worked for Beckman Coulter? Contribute to the Community!