Beckman Coulter

Updated September 16, 2014
Updated September 16, 2014
2.7

Beckman Coulter

Pros
  • Work Life balance, Market Segment, Danaher bringing change (in 11 reviews)

• Fair amount of freedom makes for a comfortable work environment (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance as that same DBS system wrings the life out of their employees (in 12 reviews)

• After the acquisition by Danaher, the genuinely caring for people subsided (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pay, long hours, poor company values

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunity within Beckman/danaher

Cons

High expectations with little incentive or gratitude. Poor work/life balance.

Consider the employee values when setting astrological goals.

Moving away from new product development. Focusing on acquisitions.

Current Employee - Staff Software Development Engineer  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Software Development Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits in general. One of the few large technology companies left in Miami.

Cons

Since the company was taken over by Danaher the culture of the company changed. The very lean approach to business has left no room for research. The company is focusing on the acquisition of other companies rather than in house product development. Little interest in using cutting edge technology. Very few active projects. Not much room to grow professionally. Emphasis on using foreign contractors. Very unstable working environment. Layoffs have become common.

A once great company in the 70's, 80's and 90's; in the 2000's started on a steady downward track.

Former Employee - Senior Field Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Field Service Engineer

I worked at Beckman Coulter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for Beckman for 25 years. The pay was good, and for the first 10 - 15 years things were great as the Service Dept was run by managers with a Service background.

Cons

When Beckman put a Sales person in charge of the Service Dept was when anyone with any sense knew that things would soon start going downhill. This was along about the same time we started seeing upper management ranks being populated with people who had no experience or knowledge about what happens out where "the rubber meets the road", but got their job only because of a capital letter or two after their name.

I have no advice to give, as I'm totally convinced it would fall on deaf ears. Wouldn't it be great if we could bring Arnold Beckman back to right the ship that incompetent corporate types have run aground?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beckman Coulter is not a company you want to plan a future with.

Current Employee - Office  in  Chaska, MN
    Current Employee - Office in Chaska, MN

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get your paycheck every 2 weeks. Middle management is held as accountable sameas any other employee

Cons

High Stress. High count of people leaving, low count on people hired. Employees are not heard. You are often asked by upper management, what can be done to make your job better, but keep in mind, cannot add staff, it can't cost money, and we cannot remove any work from your busy desk. Your voice and concerns are not heard, unless it will improve the bottom line. Employees are of not value to the company. You are a cog in a wheel and you will be broken and replaced.

There is nothing that can be said. They have heard it all, and have even hired an outside contract company to find out why employees are leaving. Retention rate is in the tank. And the employee survery that is mandatory, does not address the issues that the employees want to really discuss. I am not longer angry about the decline of Beckman Coulter, I am just a numb and very sad employee of over 10 years.

Good work life balance

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Brea, CA

I worked at Beckman Coulter full-time for more than a year

Pros

Predictable hours, low stress, easy work, could be boring at times but perfect for those who just need a steady income while enjoying plenty of quality time with the family outside of the 8 to 5. Lots of lifers there.

Cons

The structure is too flat. Little or no opportunity for advancement. Pay is not great, but fair considering the hours and effort you put in.

Give more incentive and recognition for good performers, and weed out the slackers.

Pathetic management

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Beckman Coulter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This list used to be long-now there is zero!

Cons

Micromanagement with conference calls that are unproductive to producing sales. No trust with management and sales/ they think we don't work-have to document every minute of every day.

Go back to Siemens!

Lack of consistency and heavy handed control makes it a miserable place to work!!

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Beckman Coulter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent employee benefits. Possible for advancement if u impress the right people.

Cons

KIPS that contradict each other, overtime is cut but responsibilities are increased significantly, heavy micromanagement

Figure out three goals and stick to that per department. Follow through on promises. Don't over work your employees. Employee moral makes a difference.

Looks good on the outside. Inside, not so much

I worked at Beckman Coulter

Pros

Nice work environment. Very smart coworkers. Benefits were okay. Pay was on the low side of average for the job and area. Good training opportunities.

Cons

It's all about the bottom line and share holders and not at all about quality of the products. They rush to market, with the attitude that "we'll fix it next time." HR is not responsive and I was told their job was to "keep the company legal". Would not go back on a bet.

There is no work-life balance at Beckman. Pay was not commiserate with the number of hours people are expected to work. There's a difference between being lean and cutting into muscle and you are just working people to death with no regard to their lives. Management attitudes do NOT match what the company values are supposed to be.

Field Service Engineer

I have been working at Beckman Coulter

Pros

Working with the customers. A steady paycheck.

Cons

Horrible training classes, unfair metrics, and poor work/life balance. Micromanaged to the nth degree.

Take responsibility for your decisions. Don't put the onus on the employee to deliver "uncomfortable" news.

Very good experience

Current Employee - Senior Development Scientist  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Development Scientist in Miami, FL

I have been working at Beckman Coulter as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It is the best environment. People are professional, polite, and friendly. In Miami location, the buildings are around a beautiful lake and most people walk around it at lunch time. I enjoyed the nature and refreshing me.

Cons

I had to pass a lot of training at the beginning and it took me at least 1 months.

Trainings should be improved to become more relevant to everybody's job.

Worked for Beckman Coulter? Contribute to the Community!