Bed Bath & Beyond

Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares

Steve Temares

Pros:
  • "flexiblity great culture fun place to work grat customer service"
    in 93 reviews
  • "You learn a lot of product knowledge in time in which will help you throughout you life"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is zero work life balance if you want to be successful there"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Very little room to promote since they only have little full time positions"
    in 46 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

they are very customer oriented .

Prosflexible work schedules. very friendly culture making everyone welcome, they have very strong culture that all employee have to learn to adjust and live by even if you are not a happy person, they will make you act like one.

Consfluctuations off hours after holidays.

good and bad..

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee)
    Reno, NV

ProsTheres lots of customers to make happy and it really makes me feel good when i helped someone out and they are just so grateful for the help. its nice when you can make someone so happy even when you just showed them where the shower caddys are... sounds really simple but i love seeing their faces. its all about the customers.

ConsI work with a bunch of other females and we're all in our 20s. its a huge estrogen fest and we all have our days where we just hate each other. some of them are almost impossible to deal with..

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention how the dept managers are treating the other associates. i have one manager on the softside who seriously needs to stop micromanaging. i also have another associate who works on softside with me (not a manager) who is a total priss.... she tries getting me in trouble and tries to make me take my lunch only an hour into my shift..

The home of erratic hours- don't depend on a steady income

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere's the 20% discount- the same one that customers get by saving those magic coupons. Opportunity to gain experience in every department.

ConsOpportunities for promotion if you are willing to totally abandon life outside of work and "volunteer" to travel to other regional stores to help with staffing shortages and overnight setups. Scheduled hours mean nothing- managers on duty will regularly release you an hour early or try to keep you three hours over. As you near your anniversary mark, watch your scheduled hours get whittled away and the newest hires will get them instead. Even if you weren't hired as a cashier, expect to spend a lot of time ringing up front. And if you are a cashier, some stores will also expect you to clean the restrooms every night. Despite ladder "safety" training, unsafe ladder use is encouraged by the layout of the stockroom/ selling floor and by how the receivers/ stockers stack merchandise in both places.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treat your people more like people rather than serfs or indentured servants, you might not have to worry so much about why you can't keep employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work and no benefits for part-time employees.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Southaven, MS

Pros20% off on all items in the store. 20 cent annual raise for employees.

ConsNo benefits and no leadership training for part-time employees. As for work/ life balance an employee's shift ended at 10:00pm the very next morning a shift for that same employee started at 8:00am! No benefits for part-time employees means: no tuition reimbursement, no paid time off, no holidays off, no workers compensation, no maternity leave, no bereavement leave and no promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate benefits for part-time employees and leadership/ management training.

Great Company, but Hard work and Long hours a must

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    Wichita, KS

ProsBed Bath and Beyond is very good at compensation. Benefits are very good.

ConsTraining and systems are very out of date. You must work long hours to really excel in your position. Be prepared to work 50 to 60 hours a week starting out till you get the hang of things.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on upgrading POS systems, Computer systems, and make sure upper management is really developing associates.

Good place to start out.

Receiving Lead (Current Employee)

ProsLots to learn if you are proactive about it. There is always someone there to help if you need it. Its a great place to learn how to work in a retail environment and then go somewhere else to get more pay from your experience.

ConsSomewhat hard to advance and very low raises. They like to start you off with the lowest they can pay you and then not give you decent raises when they put more work on your plate.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people more when they get responsibilities, not just when they get a direct promotion.

Flexible Part Time Work

Front End Lead (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsThere are flexible work hours and friendly people. It is perfect for those who need a secondary source of income. You get a 20% discount on all items and monthly employee incentives that could save you up to 60% on designated items.

ConsNot much room for growth. Take the experience and find a better job with better pay. They keep most employees part time to avoid benefits. Those who have been there for years are usually put on the schedule for the maximum amount of hours allowed for part time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within.

It has had its ups and downs

ProsSecure/ stable company. Opportunities for growth below the senior level. Decent benefits compared to what is currently out there.

ConsLimited growth above senior level and above. Poor management communication. Discount is the same as the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to place some effort into improving morale in their locations. Communication needs to improve amongst management and upper management.

Decent pay; very customer service oriented; lots of potential to develop.

Department Manager (Former Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

Prosgreat monthly perks to purchase merchandize at wholesale value (selected items)

ConsThey don't have a stocking crew to unload truck of merchandize. Managers and hourly associates do this after hours, when the store closes.

Good Experience

ProsLots of talented employees. Great company, great products.

Conspeople have a tendency of lingering in their positions well past their prime. complacency kills

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bed Bath & Beyond reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bed Bath & Beyond CEO Steve Temares. All 725 reviews posted anonymously by Bed Bath & Beyond employees.