Bed Bath & Beyond

Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares

Steve Temares

Pros:
  • "flexiblity great culture fun place to work grat customer service"
    in 93 reviews
  • "You learn a lot of product knowledge in time in which will help you throughout you life"
    in 29 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is zero work life balance if you want to be successful there"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Very little room to promote since they only have little full time positions"
    in 46 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not Really a Manager of Anything!

Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Allentown, PA

ProsYou get to work really hard without any help. I get to manage myself most days because I'm the only one in my department. Yes, these are the Pros of the job. You do get one weekend day off a week.

ConsNever enough help. My day begins at 6 or 7 and it starts with dropping one of the sides for about an hour to an hour and a half. There is only one senior manager that will even help with dropping all other managers will find a place to hide or pretend to be busy. Then after that I will put away stock replenishment until about 10:30 to 11 then Power Hour (no tasks allowed) starts and that lasts until 3 Then you have a whole 2 hours left to do all your new items that came in and make room for new items that will arrive the next day. Oh yeah, did I mention that I cover the whole side of a store and help all customers and assist with carryout and get carts too. If I'm lucky enough to get someone "scheduled" on my side they are usually acting as a backup cashier. There is little advancement opportunity unless the DM is your buddy or you worked for him at another company. Raises- oh yeah about that- don't count on it because it ranges from 0-2%. The DM is known as a liar and no one believes a word that comes out of his mouth. He will flat out lie to you and then deny it when HR gets involved. He has no trust amongst most lower level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour making money, start giving back a little more to the associates. Update the computer system NOW! A Department Manager should mean something other than higher paid sales associate. District Staff should be looked at and readjust their "Godlike" demeanor.

Full time supervisor

Supervisor (Current Employee)

Prosgreat for young kids just looking for a summer gig.

Consyou are expected to reach sales goals with no expectation of any type of commission. And when they are met, they are raised with no gratitude or reward. After 7 years with the company it is getting much worse.

Advice to Senior Managementreward those of us who truly make your company what it is.

It was only a satisfying experience because I learned the importance of customer service and pleasing customers.

ProsThe best reasons to work there are constant customer interaction, learning about a range of products, and employee discount.

ConsOne of my challenges was not having someone properly guide me when they put me on the floor. There are a lot of managers and they do not always communicate effectively.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Front End Supervisor

Prosflexible schedule , great benefits, working with the public

Consinconsistent and arbitrary pay scales, not enough staffing, no written job description explaining job responsibilities

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop pay scales based upon job postitions, stop micro-managing store managers, appears to be very "top heavy".... review need of corporate staffing and down-size allowing for better pay and staffing at the store level

someone needs to start a strike against this company!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNothing. If I could give them a 0 star rating I would!

ConsBed bath and beyond is America's version of a sweat shop. Long grueling hours of heavy lifting and being verbally abused by ungrateful customers. They will make you jump through flaming hoops before they give you the slightest promotion, and when you finally make the jump from sales associate to FES there is no pay raise, just more responsibility and more opportunities to get pulled into the office and screamed at for even the slightest mistake.
    The pay is very low and the hours are very inconsistent. It's impossible to move up to full time but if management knows you could use the extra hours they will consistently work you with full time hours without giving you full time benefits! Then just when you get comfortable working 36-40 hours a week, the "off season" (which is CHRISTMAS time) will start and you will be dropped to 5-15 hours a week. They also have a big issue with giving any time off even if time is requested months in advanced they will come to you and tell you that the 3 whole days in a row you wanted off was too much to ask and you need to adjust it. I CANNOT WAIT TO BE DONE WITH THIS PLACE! STAY FAR FAR AWAY!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good long hard look at yourself and really thin k for a minute about what you are doing to honest hard working people.

Good but more for a person who is in school and needs flexibility.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Greeley, CO

ProsVery flexible hours and are very good with understanding certain situations that happen in everyday life.

ConsPoor communication towards employees about work schedules and days off.

Good job if you can learn on your feet

ProsGood benefits, discount on all products

ConsMust learn quickly and mostly learn on your own. No support to learn after onboarding process.

Compensation Not Worth What Is Asked Of You

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Westlake, OH

ProsThe only thing that was worth having this job was the 20% discount you got. But even that wasn't that great because you can always find the products cheaper elsewhere.

ConsFor pretty much minimum wage you're required to be a Sales Associate, a Cashier and on top of that you have to do Replen (restocking the shelves in the morning) Freight (putting delivered merchandise on shelves at night) and you're a Janitor. Not only is all this expected of you they often mess up scheduling. I was constantly asked to work opening shifts, and then to come back and close the store down (with only a couple hours for a break in between) and then they would schedule you to open again the next morning resulting in less than 5 hours of sleep between shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if those that managed would follow the rules that are put in place, and actually helped out around the store. Running around the store yelling at employees if they made any Beyond Store orders is not helpful.

This job taught me a lot of great customer service skills for an entry level position.

Customer Service and Bridal Consultant (Former Employee)
    Santee, CA

ProsI had a lot of flexibility with my schedule, I started working here when I was 16 and they worked around my high school schedule, and did the same when I started college. Always things to be doing and working on, which was sometimes a con but staying busy made shifts go by quickly. I loved the huge focus on outstanding customer service, and it taught me a lot about dealing with any type of customer for future jobs I would have.

ConsNot a lot of room for growth. I went from working as a cashier, to working the "soft side" bedding and bath half of the store, to being a bridal consultant and after being there for 4 years it pretty much stopped there. The managers and higher-ups had all been in their positions for a while and unless they left there was nothing I could be promoted to and eventually felt stuck where I was at. Also the pay was not great, and everyone received pretty low raises at our reviews even though I always got perfect scores.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThey have flexible Hours, clean working environment, and friendly customers.

ConsLower level managers were catty, at times. They would give false reports to the manager making some employees under them look badly, intentionally not reporting call-ins and saying they informed us of things which they did not.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eyes and ears open to staff, and take into account that some staff members might be dishonest and it can hinder a positive working environment. It's fine for an assistant manger to not like you personally, but when you are a good worker, it is not good to business to attack someone for personal reasons when it is not job related.

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bed Bath & Beyond reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bed Bath & Beyond CEO Steve Temares. All 727 reviews posted anonymously by Bed Bath & Beyond employees.