Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews

2.8
1,009 Reviews
Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • They train employees on product knowledge to help deliver better customer service (in 120 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about products you never even considered owning or even knew about before (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 28 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 56 reviews)

Positive retail environment.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond (more than 10 years)

Pros

Clear cut performance expectations. Quality product and customer service training plans. Pretty good work/life balance (much better than Kmart, Walmart, Target). Good opportunities to move forward. Education is not the tell all in this company, plenty of people without college degrees who are very successful. I started in receiving and now run a store.

Cons

Raises are tough acquire beyond a basic 2%, yet exec's in New Jersey continue to bring home their million dollar bonuses and stock incentives. Staffing in the stores has become very slim, do more with less.

Remember the company associates are who make the business successful. Reward them at all levels in the store. Pay is not the most important factor in job happiness but it's in the top few reasons. Remember that "thank you" and "good job" goes a long way in making associates happy. It's time to review your benefits package as a company and bring in quality health insurance, short-term and long-term disability, paid maternity/paternity leave.

2. 11 years of creative work environment and great people to work with.

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Entrepreneurial work environment. Great people and great benefits. Fun atmosphere and daily challenges. Great product base to be proud of.

Cons

Not enough hours provided corporately to achieve daily goals and tasks. Very physically demanding. Limited training and support from district staff. No P and L access to really know where each store stands financially even by the store manager. Store manager can not hire it's management staff, nor can they fire them.

Spend quality time with management staff to support and train instead of pop in visits that don't develop or encourage the staff on a job already well done. Be positive instead of demeaning.

3. Okay.

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Good co workers, decent company. Okay management

Cons

End of year hours cut for part timers

5. Great and interesting place to work:):):)

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in East Hanover, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in East Hanover, NJ

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Meeting people :):):) Helping people find the correct item:):)

Cons

The hours you worked changed a lot--Morning to night

Hire more peolple

Opportunity if you're willing to put in the work

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

If you pride yourself in great customer service, merchandising, competitiveness, and bring a positive attitude you will do well. Plenty of opportunity to move up as well.

Cons

you will work long hours and they have very high expectations. It can be difficult if you get lazy and you really have to be on top of your toes during peek business hours. It can get crazy when you aren't allowed to have lines.

Maintain a positive outlook at all times. If you're positive and constantly coming up with ideas to help the company grow they will reward you.

7. Good first job

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Flexibility, work life balance, discounts, culture, good management will help you out when you need it, some mangers should act as mangers and do there job

Cons

Overworked,under payed, pushing items to sell or get written up, could provide more perks for full time workers who have families

Promations and job growth

8. Great environment, and people

Former Employee - Sales Floor in La Quinta, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor in La Quinta, CA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome co workers(in my store), Discount was 10%, The customers are usually real down to earth, and nice. Very easy job as most retail jobs. They don't ask for to much just work, and listen, and be friendly to everyone. The managers were great to work with. I never knew about Bed Bath & Beyonds return policy until i worked there. Awesome return policy, if you don't know. You can basically return anything even if you don't have a receipt. If it stops working 5 years from now they will replace, or exchange it.

Cons

Not much. Advancement is basic. Assistant, manager, senior manager, and with enough experience, and schooling, store manager. Not a place i would set up, and make a career from. Something more for younger people like myself looking for some cash.

Management was great, i couldn't give anymore advice that i am sure their district managers already give. My store had awesome managers.

9. Your BBB experience will vary greatly from store to store.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Bridal Consultant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Bridal Consultant in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at two different BBB's throughout the last five years. I had an amazing experience at the first one which is why when I needed a job in a new city I applied to another BBB. The first one taught me how to be a great salesman, made me a great people person, and gave me a lot of confidence in myself as an employee. The store worked like a well oiled machine and though it did have some turnover because a lot of the employees were college students, it was obvious that the managers really cared about their jobs and took the time to get to know their sales associates. There is a yearly raise based on your review.

Cons

I learned at my second BBB that while the company morals are supposed to apply to all stores, this depends on the managers. It turns out that the managers make or break your experience working at a BBB.

The new policy of only allowing part time workers to work a maximum of 25 hours a week is going to cost BBB a lot of good employees. Not hiring good workers to be full time employees simply to avoid having to dole out benefits is a terrible waste of the time and energy the company is already putting into training new employees. At this rate, BBB is hiring great employees and then training them to be great employees at the next place that will give their workers benefits and full time hours.

10. Very customer friendly place to work, must greet everyone you see, helps if you already have housewares knowledge.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you like providing customer service, this is the place for you. There are not a lot of projects, there is filling and zoning, and the customer is always the main priority.

Cons

The product training is ok and could be much more in depth for what they are selling. They spend about 30 minutes at each section and then you are considered to an expert.

I didn't really interact with upper management.

11. Must be a hard worker and very customer oriented. Hustle when you need to. Be prepared to put on many hats.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager - Merchandising in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager - Merchandising in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

An entrepreneurial atmosphere, good hands on training, fast paced, procedures have been well established, good opportunity for promotion and/ or advancement.

Cons

Backing of managers is somewhat lacking, the they should be, the customer is truly always right, even when they may not be.

Follow corporate specs, be conservative in merchandising decisions, put in those few extra hours to stay current and on top of freight