Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • Great customer service policy which keeps great customer retention (in 116 reviews)

• Pay is good compared to other retailers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 26 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

BBY is a great place for a first part time job but it is not if you need to support yourself

Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in South Ogden, UT

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

its great for a part time job
    the people are very friendly
    customers are very leniant
    and its a cool store

Cons

you do not get benefits
    its hard to live off
    the high ups don't care much about you

Tough way to make money, but can be fun

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comraderie, flexible hours and scheduling.

Cons

Expect you to work on your own time. Holiday hours.

Be nicer to your employees.

Its not a bad place, just the pay is TERRIBLE. Find something else if you can!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hialeah Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Hialeah Gardens, FL

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only good thing is that you can request as many days as you want off without an issue as long as you're not full time!

Cons

They dont pay enough for the amount of customers you have to take care of and all the multitasking thats required

Add more employee benefits because we get the same 20% off that everyone else does. Thats not a benefit.....

Great people but the typical stressful retail environment.

Current Employee - RTV
    Current Employee - RTV

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was not scared to ask for more money after my 90 days, and I got it. If your a good employee it will not go unnoticed or unappreciated.

Cons

It is hard to move up into the company, long hours, rude customers, and not great training and guidance without feelings bothersome.

Pay more attention to your star employees who actually make an impact and let go of the ones who slow the every day work life down.

Okay Place to Work

Former Employee - Department Manager in Union, NJ
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Union, NJ

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great People. Very friendly culture..

Cons

Long Hours, with very high expectations.

Listen to staff, don't micro-manage.

Bed Bath and Beyond sales floor representative

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the experience in working in retail

Cons

lack of employee recognition and bonus incentives.

Good first job, but...

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Good first part-time job. Love helping customers and the customer service.

Cons

Lots of training. Long hours. Bad scheduling. Lots of ladder climbing and hard work. Don't get paid enough for the all the work that I do, which is a lot of exhausting work. I only got paid $8.25 an hour, but considering the effort I put into work every day, I believe it should be more.

Department manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a company that you can think for yourself! (no plannograms).
    Universal, consistent, and engaging approach to product knowledge, company standards, selling techniques.

Cons

As a department manager you are paid salary..which means the more you work in a day, the less you are paid. Which is typical, however, usually a salaried employee has opportunity for 'bonus' .

Growing retail company!

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Due to the fast growth rate of this company the stability is very good.

Cons

Salaries aren't the best however there is job stability.

More incentives will get more employee engagement.

Fast-paced, variable work. High expectations and scrambled management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Hiring: Easy to get hired. I had little work experience and applied to 25 simple jobs in my area. This was the only interview I got. Also no drug testing to get hired.
    - Training: BBB provides training classes for lots of topics and listens when you say you want training in a certain area. Also, lots of silly corporation-wide instructional videos to give you an occasional break from the hustle and bustle.
    - Variety: During my time at BBB, I worked the floor, replenishment, and occasionally in receiving. I appreciated it because it allowed me to better understand the system as a whole and because it kept work fresh.
    - Pass the buck: this phrase is an encouragement to call for a manager when you aren't able to help a customer, in any situation. Then you stick around, and learn how the manager handles the question/situation. Satisfaction guarantee makes returns simple (customers do abuse it). It is a good system to immerse a new employee into the job.
    - Good managers were usually very helpful and rewarding to work with.
    - Availability: Usually BBB was very accommodating to my variable student/2nd job life schedule. Getting shifts covered is usually not too difficult, having so many part time employees. They have a few rules such as must be available one weekend day.

Cons

- Corporate whip: secret shoppers, visits from the higher ups, pleasing corporate isn't always easy or the best thing to do for the customers/store
    - Customer Service Standards: this could be viewed as a plus, but greeting every single customer who walks by in the store and suggesting the same add-on to every customer at the checkout can feel like a bit much in combination with the work load. Also cleaning the bathrooms was not looked forward to.
    - Fast pace, sometimes in circles: it's always go, go, go at BBB. This is how some people like to work. I prefer to set things up for efficiency and then attack, and this is not how the store operates. Old technology is constantly malfunctioning. Computer system is terrible; difficult to navigate, not concise, not always correct. Lack of tools. Things are stored unsafely both in stock rooms, and sometimes sales floor fixtures are questionable.
    Scheduling: Was pressured to stay later than the schedule indicated many times, many late nights. Mistakes were made by both sides, but pressure was usually on me to get a shift covered either way. Another time when I submitted my two weeks notice, the message got lost by management, so it was not properly processed. After the mix up, I waited for the promised call for paperwork completion for 4 weeks. When I came in person to check on the processing, my locker belongings had been thrown away, except for my watch left on the break table, all this with no phone call or anything. I should have known this kinda thing might happen...

Upgrade the computer system ASAP. Find a more organized, cleaner, and safer way to organize the stockrooms. Avoid unrealistic expectations to keep employees happy.