Bed Bath & Beyond

Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares

Steve Temares

Pros:
  • "preach customer service; you will never receive better service in the retail industry"
    in 79 reviews
  • "Pay is good compared to other retailers"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little room to promote since they only have little full time positions"
    in 40 reviews
  • "LONG hours, EARLY hours (Usual shift is 6am-5 for managers)"
    in 39 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Part-time trap for most. Full-time punishment for few.

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

ProsWell run and professional company compared to other retailers. Return policy very easy to work with as an employee. Store operations well thought out and automated by corporate offices. Great customer service training.

ConsYou will never work harder for Part-time hourly wages with no benefits. Being made a supervisor or departmental manager is incredibly demanding and for a busy store, most will find it unsustainable.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince management rarely hires personnel unless they exaggerate their availability, as opposed to a solid window of availability, there is a problem with frequent call outs, especially on the front end. Core employees are extremely overworked to compensate. Despite very competent operating procedures, nothing survives when cashiers and departmental employees are out due to lack of availability so frquently.

it was always busy environment

Line Wrapper (Former Employee)
North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time for less than a year

Prosthey offer you a good salary

Consthe dusty environment made me suffer a lot of allergies that was one of a challenge for me.

Advice to Senior Managementthere should always have equal consideration for all employments and customers.

A good employer

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Nanuet, NY

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for less than a year

ProsWorks with employee with scheduling

ConsAntiquated technology, needs to update all areas ie. cash registers

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Desk

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe employees were great while at work

ConsThe Manangement team were asking way to much of hourly associates while the management sat at the computers for hours

Advice to Senior ManagementAqquire new management

Customer Service Supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time

ProsLove the customers and employees

ConsManagement not assisting employees and not following up on projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees

Fair, diverse and constant change

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time

ProsSalary, people, and the customers you meet.

ConsLost customer service focus and culture, the company has become so ops driven the service is being lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn the focus back on the customers and provide the hours needed to staff to the needs of the business.

Overall I enjoyed working with this company

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than a year

ProsIf you currently have no job, and would like to make above minimum wage then this is the place. If you prove to have staying power, intelligence and some loyalty they will likely at least offer management as an option.

ConsManagement is mostly just going to be for the title. It's not a job that I believe I would ever consider making permanent.

If your a manager look somewhere else...

Store Manager (Current Employee)
South Florida, FL

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time

ProsCompany is fairly stable although last two quarters they have not met Wall Street expectations. Good medical plan also has vision and dental , but no short or long term disability.

ConsVery negative culture created by corporate, as a manager you are told to be highly critical of everything and never satisfied . When your superiors walk you it us the same negative atmosphere. Turnover of managers is constant which is why they are always looking fir managers, nobody stays. Managers routinely work 60 hours and are expected to come in in there days off.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome positive feedback would stop the massive turnover we have. It is also affecting customer service as unhappy employees do not give the best service.

WATCH YOUR BACK!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere are MANY GREAT associates, dept managers and keyholders.

Cons-Don't make a complaint or your SM can ruin your life. Keep in mind that the only ones to get promoted to SM are the managers that everyone HATES! If your store manager has been around for any length of time, there's nothing anyone can do about the problems or they just don't want to. The district and regional "support" staff are of no use to anyone. They won't even help on the floor because there is way too much work that needs to be done. Lawyers are even suprised there haven't been more law suits against them. For anyone in middle management with several years under their belt, the time is coming for replacements. The company is looking for "cheaper" help and will make your lives even more miserable than they already are to get you to quit. The job is no longer about taking care of the customer, it's about survival.
-The hourly associates are so overworked and so unhappy that there's been talk of seeking help from the unions. BBBY needs to realize what they're doing to their employees and make a change.
 -Wake up and start taking care of the people who have given up their personal lives to make the company successful and get rid of the people who treat others as though they are just work horses that can be replaced at anytime. I was under the impression that slavery was abolished many years ago, but apparently I was wrong. I blame the District level and above for the failure of what has been the foundation the company was built on (Great Customer Service). They preach it, but everyone in the stores know that it isn't the number one priority anymore. Payroll and productivity are the true focus.
-Don't let them beat you down.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared for the future that you have created. How can you sleep at night after treating people the way you do on a daily basis? Treat your employees with respect and you will get respect in return. We are all taught to leave our personal lives at the door, but that's just meant for us, not you, right? Leaving the company was the BEST thing I've ever done.

A Rollercoaster

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Buena Park, CA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPays Well and great benefits

ConsManagement is so gray on policies

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bed Bath & Beyond reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bed Bath & Beyond CEO Steve Temares. All 636 reviews posted anonymously by Bed Bath & Beyond employees.